ADVERTISEMENT

New MWC Possibility:

Would this be better for UTEP?

• Yes

Votes: 28 90.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
If you are UTEP, do you jump at the chance to join the MWC asap?

The risk in that is the conference isn’t stable and mass defections can still occur. The PAC and AAC seem to be ready to pounce

Do you hold and take a wait and see approach?

There is a fear of missing out factor. The MWC has a chance to regain stability moving forward with new members.

Is the new look potential MWC better than CUSA?

The risk in that is the conference isn’t stable and mass defections can still occur. The PAC and AAC seem to be ready to pounce

There is a fear of missing out factor. The MWC has a chance to regain stability moving forward with new members.

We've been taking the wait and see approach for too long already. Let's be aggressive for once.

If offered a spot, UTEP should jump at it. Wyoming, Nevada, Utah State, New Mexico, San Jose State are not going anywhere. And that's a better core than CUSAs, atleast in terms of fit for UTEP. I also like the leadership of Gloria Nevarez better than CUSAs.

Next best option is a merger between both conferences. Would be a win win for UTEP.

There was money in CUSA continuing and there’s even more to be had by the MWC continuing. At least UTEP will be with Western schools, even though all the good ones will be gone.

From an economic standpoint, the move to the MWC makes complete sense. Even after paying the exit fees, the travel costs saved could make up the difference along with the increased fan attendance because of the proximity (and historical rivalries) within the current MWC.

GO MINERS!

From an economic standpoint, the move to the MWC makes complete sense. Even after paying the exit fees, the travel costs saved could make up the difference along with the increased fan attendance because of the proximity (and historical rivalries) within the current MWC.

GO MINERS!
“increased fan attendance because of the proximity (and historical rivalries) within the current MWC.”

Let me see if those who graduated from ‘04-present carry those animosities that your generation carry. Doubt it but, not saying we should not move to the MW

There really isn't such a thing as a stable conference right now. Find the best spot you can and cross your fingers.

“increased fan attendance because of the proximity (and historical rivalries) within the current MWC.”

Let me see if those who graduated from ‘04-present carry those animosities that your generation carry. Doubt it but, not saying we should not move to the MW
A conference with UNM and NMSU is a good thing. Regardless of when your graduated we can find any reason to hate Las Cruces and Albuquerque, and vice versa. Scheduling those to teams every year would be great. Wyoming is a good rival for those who remember the WAC and if you remember 2004/2005 UTEP basketball it would be easy to hate Nevada again.

A conference with UNM and NMSU is a good thing. Regardless of when your graduated we can find any reason to hate Las Cruces and Albuquerque, and vice versa. Scheduling those to teams every year would be great. Wyoming is a good rival for those who remember the WAC and if you remember 2004/2005 UTEP basketball it would be easy to hate Nevada again.
Nevada wasn’t in the WAC in 1987 (since some here insist on going back to the 80’s)
86-87 WAC Basketball teams were:
UTEP
BYU
UNM
Wyoming
Utah
Colorado St
Air Force
Hawaii
San Diego state

Nice to have UNM but really i don’t care for Wyoming and I’m sure the feeling is mutual *yawn*

Preferred Boise over Reno

Either way, we’re not getting Boise, BYU,Utah, Colorado St, Air Force, Hawaii, or San Diego back.

Nostalgia is great but trying to recreate the past isn’t always helpful/practical

Reactions: chuwy9 and JCorona
Don’t count on UNLV going anywhere right away…..we are not legally tied to Reno, but the regents still have to vote on any move. Our regents are notoriously inept (see how they handled Chris Beard as an example). We have charmed a few sugar daddy boosters who may or may not be willing to help us out, but in reality, our media numbers are not attractive. Do we have recent upside? Yes, but we have no historical record to show in football. We are also staring at precisely 0 current media deals in the pac or a fantastically trimmed one coming in whatever the MWC looks like. Historically for UNLV, our leadership is reactive, not proactive. I can see us being gone somewhere before the end of the year and NMST/UTEP are always a hot topic in our boards. Personally, I would love to see both schools in it regardless of where UNLV ends up. A resurgence from UTEP would be nice to see.

Don’t count on UNLV going anywhere right away…..we are not legally tied to Reno, but the regents still have to vote on any move. Our regents are notoriously inept (see how they handled Chris Beard as an example). We have charmed a few sugar daddy boosters who may or may not be willing to help us out, but in reality, our media numbers are not attractive. Do we have recent upside? Yes, but we have no historical record to show in football. We are also staring at precisely 0 current media deals in the pac or a fantastically trimmed one coming in whatever the MWC looks like. Historically for UNLV, our leadership is reactive, not proactive. I can see us being gone somewhere before the end of the year and NMST/UTEP are always a hot topic in our boards. Personally, I would love to see both schools in it regardless of where UNLV ends up. A resurgence from UTEP would be nice to see.
The one MWC fan who doesn't look down on us with disdain and disgust.

Do you think Senter and Wilson has reached out to the MWC?

Have they reached out to the PAC-12?

Would love to know what their thoughts are. My guess is they’re making proposals to both.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Do you think Senter and Wilson has reached out to the MWC?

Have they reached out to the PAC-12?

Would love to know what their thoughts are. My guess is they’re making proposals to both.
For sure UTEP has reached out to the MWC. Unsure about the Pac 12. I don’t see a problem if they haven’t. Them reaching out to the Pac 12 is like a 55 year guy asking Natalie Portman out on Twitter.

The one MWC fan who doesn't look down on us with disdain and disgust.
We thoroughly enjoyed watching you guys embarrass Boise State in 2022….Bronco fans were insufferable for weeks after that….call me humble but we don’t have a lot of ways to be superior to anyone at the moment. If we can add you two and some form of Texas State and UTSA, that may do it in terms of saving the MWC.

For sure UTEP has reached out to the MWC. Unsure about the Pac 12. I don’t see a problem if they haven’t. Them reaching out to the Pac 12 is like a 55 year guy asking Natalie Portman out on Twitter.

I was thinking that as well. But which schools bring the most value to the PAC12 and which teams will increase revenue by joining?

There isn’t a lot of money to be handed out in TV deals. Are there 6 schools willing to ditch their current situation for the same amount of revenue?

Pac12 is unlikely to be an 8 team conference. From what I am reading, the biggest players in D1 think there are too many teams and aren’t too keen on adding a bunch of FCS schools.

UTEP is not great when it comes to viewership, but not horrible. A lot better than North Texas and on par with Fresno St, SDSU, UNM, and Utah State.

There is value in adding UTEP. The CUSA exit fees are around $2 million as opposed to 10+ AAC and 18 million for the MW.

The more you study the numbers, the TV ratings, market size, future TV deals, grant of rights, exit fees, etc….. The Pac12 may not get to just pick whoever they want. If I am Wilson and Senter, I try.

Natalie Portman is 43, so that’s not that crazy especially if he’s a Movie Producer or Actor lol Utep being invited to the PAC 12 is much more daunting than that I think!

We thoroughly enjoyed watching you guys embarrass Boise State in 2022….Bronco fans were insufferable for weeks after that….call me humble but we don’t have a lot of ways to be superior to anyone at the moment. If we can add you two and some form of Texas State and UTSA, that may do it in terms of saving the MWC.
It would be a step down for UTSA who is looking to probably one day be in the Big 12 and might be on the PAC 12s radar. For Texas St. it could be possible depending on the renegotiated contract the MWC will get. Which will be a lot lower than the 270 million dollar one they have now. I’d love to see this Conference for UTEP’s sake at least. (By the way I see UNLV going to the PAC 12 so Congrats!

UTEP/NMSU
UNM/Texas St.
La Tech/SHST
Utah St./ Wyoming
Nevada/San Jose St.
2 FCS call ups eventually if necessary

Last edited:
I say throw out name in the hat. We are most likely not going to the Pac 12 but why not try? They can get us on the cheap compared to other schools.

I was thinking that as well. But which schools bring the most value to the PAC12 and which teams will increase revenue by joining?

There isn’t a lot of money to be handed out in TV deals. Are there 6 schools willing to ditch their current situation for the same amount of revenue?

Pac12 is unlikely to be an 8 team conference. From what I am reading, the biggest players in D1 think there are too many teams and aren’t too keen on adding a bunch of FCS schools.

UTEP is not great when it comes to viewership, but not horrible. A lot better than North Texas and on par with Fresno St, SDSU, UNM, and Utah State.

There is value in adding UTEP. The CUSA exit fees are around $2 million as opposed to 10+ AAC and 18 million for the MW.

The more you study the numbers, the TV ratings, market size, future TV deals, grant of rights, exit fees, etc….. The Pac12 may not get to just pick whoever they want. If I am Wilson and Senter, I try.
As far as sporting merit and/or access to recruits goes, UTEP and El Paso is dead last. That is why a North Texas or Rice would be considered before we would. Boise, CSU, FSU, and SDSU want more money and don’t want schools like SJSU and Utah St in their conference. You can’t sit here and tell me UTEP is better for any conference than them.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I say throw out name in the hat. We are most likely not going to the Pac 12 but why not try? They can get us on the cheap compared to other schools.
If it’s sending an email sure, but if it’s spending hours on an application or something - pass

It would be a step down for UTSA who is looking to probably one day be in the Big 12 and might be on the PAC 12s radar. For Texas St. it could be possible depending on the renegotiated contract the MWC will get. Which will be a lot lower than the 270 million dollar one they have now. I’d love to see this Conference for UTEP’s sake at least. (By the way I see UNLV going to the PAC 12 so Congrats!

UTEP/NMSU
UNM/Texas St.
La Tech/SHST
Utah St./ Wyoming
Nevada/San Jose St.
2 FCS call ups eventually if necessary
I thought the same about UTSA - maybe North Texas then

As far as sporting merit and/or access to recruits goes, UTEP and El Paso is dead last. That is why a North Texas or Rice would be considered before we would. Boise, CSU, FSU, and SDSU want more money and don’t want schools like SJSU and Utah St in their conference. You can’t sit here and tell me UTEP is better for any conference than them.

Absolutely agree with this 100%

My thoughts are that the PAC12 needs 2-6 teams. MW is going to lose Air Force in the next 2 weeks to the AAC which means the MW needs 2-6 teams. All this needs to happen in the next few months.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t think the PAC12 is a better option for AAC schools. I don’t think the PAC12 can get whoever they want. They have no media rights and it doesn’t make logistical sense for a lot of schools.

Who is going to populate these 2 conferences?

Reactions: KaneFan29
Absolutely agree with this 100%

My thoughts are that the PAC12 needs 2-6 teams. MW is going to lose Air Force in the next 2 weeks to the AAC which means the MW needs 2-6 teams. All this needs to happen in the next few months.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t think the PAC12 is a better option for AAC schools. I don’t think the PAC12 can get whoever they want. They have no media rights and it doesn’t make logistical sense for a lot of schools.

Who is going to populate these 2 conferences?
I’ve done some reading on Memphis and I agree that Memphis and Tulane leaving the AAC doesn’t make logistical sense. However, when Memphis joined the AAC, Louisville was there. Cincinnati was there. Houston was there. SMU was there. UCF was there. They’ve been replaced with FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, Rice, etc. Even Rutgers was there.

They’ve seen all the good teams go. I think the new Pac 12 could land a good media deal. Their fans will have later kicks and tips, but fans aren’t considered in these things.

The PAC 12 will be a good basketball league at least, the AAC is just barely a 2 bid league now. The PAC 12 could easily surpass that.

I’ve done some reading on Memphis and I agree that Memphis and Tulane leaving the AAC doesn’t make logistical sense. However, when Memphis joined the AAC, Louisville was there. Cincinnati was there. Houston was there. SMU was there. UCF was there. They’ve been replaced with FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, Rice, etc. Even Rutgers was there.

They’ve seen all the good teams go. I think the new Pac 12 could land a good media deal. Their fans will have later kicks and tips, but fans aren’t considered in these things.

The PAC 12 will be a good basketball league at least, the AAC is just barely a 2 bid league now. The PAC 12 could easily surpass that.

Yeah, now it makes a lot more sense. I didn’t think of that scenario. If that’s the PAC12 vision then MW makes sense for UTEP because it won’t be a bunch of FCS schools

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT