ADVERTISEMENT

New OC?

Was 4-8 at Tennessee as QB Coach. Spent a long time at UNT when they weren't really good. I'm looking for the positives in his resume. Someone give me one. Not a rhetorical question just haven't had time to look.

Was 4-8 at Tennessee as QB Coach. Spent a long time at UNT when they weren't really good. I'm looking for the positives in his resume. Someone give me one. Not a rhetorical question just haven't had time to look.

Took USF to a #2 national ranking at one point. Had the Big East's most potent offense. Lead NC ST to a final national ranking of 12. There's two.

Reactions: minermx07
There had been rumors about head coaching vacancy. Another coach that is being forced out. Not to say he cant help us here. Hes had some Athletic quarterbacks under him. I think its an indicator of what they are possibly going for.

Probably need a a juco guy. Unless they see something in Kavika.

While I didn't like the idea of this guy as HC when it was brought up a month or so ago, the idea of him as OC has quickly grown on me. May not be a bad hire.

While I didn't like the idea of this guy as HC when it was brought up a month or so ago, the idea of him as OC has quickly grown on me. May not be a bad hire.
Same exact thought. I remember you saying you weren’t impressed when he recruited your son.

There had been rumors about head coaching vacancy. Another coach that is being forced out. Not to say he cant help us here. Hes had some Athletic quarterbacks under him. I think its an indicator of what they are possibly going for.

Probably need a a juco guy. Unless they see something in Kavika.

One thing that keeps rolling around in my mind is that Dimel and Canales do seem to have contrasting styles. Canales' success as an OC has largely come through the air, while Dimel seems to favor that tough running QB who can air it out on occasion. Who bends to who? And if it's Canales bending to Dimel's way, can Canales be successful?

Same exact thought. I remember you saying you weren’t impressed when he recruited your son.

Yeah, but it was just a personality or character thing. He reminded me of...like a used car salesman. Or better yet, a snake oil salesman.

I don't know the guy, so I can't make any factual judgements that I can stand behind. It was just "that" feeling. Couldn't see him leading the ship. But he has credentials as an OC that I could probably get behind. If that makes sense.

Yeah, but it was just a personality or character thing. He reminded me of...like a used car salesman. Or better yet, a snake oil salesman.

I don't know the guy, so I can't make any factual judgements that I can stand behind. It was just "that" feeling. Couldn't see him leading the ship. But he has credentials as an OC that I could probably get behind. If that makes sense.
We’ve all seen many coordinators who are great at what they do but fail as head coaches. I don’t mind bringing this guy as the OC if he can implement a high powered offense that will be fun to watch.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Already it seems Dimel is able to get better pedigree coaches than Kugler could ever get. Shoot maybe Kugler can coach the O- line here.

Took USF to a #2 national ranking at one point. Had the Big East's most potent offense. Lead NC ST to a final national ranking of 12. There's two.
Thanks the news is coming fast and furious. It's hard to keep up. Seems like a good hire. I believe they worked together, so hopefully they'll get along, despite seemingly contrasting styles.

One thing that keeps rolling around in my mind is that Dimel and Canales do seem to have contrasting styles. Canales' success as an OC has largely come through the air, while Dimel seems to favor that tough running QB who can air it out on occasion. Who bends to who? And if it's Canales bending to Dimel's way, can Canales be successful?

If Canalas is asked to bend he will because that's his job as an assistant. Some head coaches play the CEO role and let their coordinators run whatever and some make them run their scheme. Usually offensive head coaches will make the OC run their scheme and leave the DC alone.

If Canalas is asked to bend he will because that's his job as an assistant. Some head coaches play the CEO role and let their coordinators run whatever and some make them run their scheme. Usually offensive head coaches will make the OC run their scheme and leave the DC alone.

I know. That's what doesn't add up...at least in my mind. Explain where my error in thinking/questioning might be.

So Canales bends to authority and plays Dimel ball, which is more smash mouth. Like our guest posters alluded to, Dimel's offense tends to rough up its QBs. That's obviously not Canales' style of O. The question I have then, is, does that diminish what Canales brings to the table as an OC?

Rivers (NCST), Grothe (USF) and Thompson (UNT) were all proficient passers. Those were the guys Canales coached who provided him "his" success as an OC.

I think it's a legitimate question.

It is a great question. Once the staff is in place I'll see if they let me go to the meetings and spring ball practices. I've done that for the last several years now during my spring break.

Well, duh — he’s Latino.

I didn’t realize that Canales is actually older than Dimel. We are getting a veteran staff with a lot of experience, I sincerely hope that this can translate into something good.

But then again our basketball staff recently had a ton of veteran experience as well: 1 former NBA Head Coach(Floyd), plus 2 more former D1 Head Coaches(Johnson and Braswell), and a fromer JC Head Coach(Baumann) all on the same coaching staff yet they didn’t exactly set the world on fire.

I didn’t realize that Canales is actually older than Dimel. We are getting a veteran staff with a lot of experience, I sincerely hope that this can translate into something good.

But then again our basketball staff recently had a ton of veteran experience as well: 1 former NBA Head Coach(Floyd), plus 2 more former D1 Head Coaches(Johnson and Braswell), and a fromer JC Head Coach(Baumann) all on the same coaching staff yet they didn’t exactly set the world on fire.

I wanted a young coach, not old coaches. All the young coaches succeeded here in basketball. Why not try it for football?

Hi, new here, just wanted to let you all know about Canales. I worked for him for a bit and he personally added 5 to 6 hours of work to my Sundays, and I didn't mind at all he was that kind of guy. Fanaticoog I can see how you saw him as a used car salesman, thought the same thing at first, but you soon realize he's being genuine about his passion for the team.

Hi, new here, just wanted to let you all know about Canales. I worked for him for a bit and he personally added 5 to 6 hours of work to my Sundays, and I didn't mind at all he was that kind of guy. Fanaticoog I can see how you saw him as a used car salesman, thought the same thing at first, but you soon realize he's being genuine about his passion for the team.

Thanks for the insight my friend. Again, just my first and only take on the guy. And I've been wrong before. Good to hear about his work ethic and passion.

In what capacity did you work for him?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT