ADVERTISEMENT

NEXT YEAR

Big boys are all over Tucker.
Yeah you aren't kidding. He might be a little out of our range for the moment, but if we win next year then this may be the kind of player Terry goes after for 2020 if he can't land a big time freshman or sit out transfer.

Yeah you aren't kidding. He might be a little out of our range for the moment, but if we win next year then this may be the kind of player Terry goes after for 2020 if he can't land a big time freshman or sit out transfer.
That'd be beyond amazing, we'd have to be the favorites to win CUSA if that happened!

I just watched a video of Souly Boum. That guy can shoot the three plus dribble drive, dish and even a little "D". Who knows: add in his impressive FT % he could be the point we need.
I can hear the "Booooooooom" with every three he hits in The Don for the next three years.

Reactions: axingfools1
Souly Boum 10.9 ppg
Bryson Williams 13.8 ppg
Anthony Tarke 12.7 ppg
Night Hawk 12.6
Jordan Lathon 10.9
Efe Odigie 12.7

That's a lot of firepower next year. It doesn't event take into account Archie, Stroud or anyone else. Oh, you want defense? How about Verhoeven, Ezeagu and Cambell pulling down boards and swatting shots out of the air. I'm starting to feel pretty good about next year boys.

So what the people here with inside scoop. What they think are chances of landing Jalen Green???

So what the people here with inside scoop. What they think are chances of landing Jalen Green???
You don't have to have the inside scoop to realize our chances of landing Jalen Green are slim to none. He is a one and done, coming to UTEP will hurt him more than help him. Word is Memphis has a very good chance of landing him.

You don't have to have the inside scoop to realize our chances of landing Jalen Green are slim to none. He is a one and done, coming to UTEP will hurt him more than help him. Word is Memphis has a very good chance of landing him.

I think you are wrong. I think Utep is in the mix. Utep has his best friend on the team and has great relationship with Terry. Utep also should have a very strong team for him to join. What connections does he have in Memphis??

Plus you cant answer you dont have inside scoop. You just like me! Just guessing.

I think you are wrong. I think Utep is in the mix. Utep has his best friend on the team and has great relationship with Terry. Utep also should have a very strong team for him to join. What connections does he have in Memphis??

Plus you cant answer you dont have inside scoop. You just like me! Just guessing.
LOL keep dreaming. Terry had a great relationship with Likekele and he still went to OSU because playing in the Big 12 is a better opportunity for him. Green is a one and done, playing for UTEP for 1 year would hurt him. He will have no national exposure here, play in a weak 1 bid league, and SHOULD have a very strong team for him to join. Or he can go to an elite P5 school that is pretty much guaranteed to play in the NCAA Tourney and have a good chance of winning a NC, and showcase himself against the top talent in the NCAA on ESPN, CBS etc...

Available Transfer:

Daryl Edwards 6'3 guard. He was injured last year and redshirted. As a Jr he started a bunch of games in the SEC and shot 37% from 3. Not a bigtime scorer, but known as a leader and a defensive stopper.

Graduate transfer from LSU (orginally to Nevada earlier this year but apparently has re-opened). He is from Fresno.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
LOL keep dreaming. Terry had a great relationship with Likekele and he still went to OSU because playing in the Big 12 is a better opportunity for him. Green is a one and done, playing for UTEP for 1 year would hurt him. He will have no national exposure here, play in a weak 1 bid league, and SHOULD have a very strong team for him to join. Or he can go to an elite P5 school that is pretty much guaranteed to play in the NCAA Tourney and have a good chance of winning a NC, and showcase himself against the top talent in the NCAA on ESPN, CBS etc...

Let me preface the below by saying that I do not expect Jalen Green to play for the Miners. However, saying that playing for the Miners would hurt him because he is likely a one-and-done player is completely ridiculous. The NBA and its scouts do not decide whom to draft based on the number of times a player appears on ESPN. Are you familiar with Ja Morant? Do you realize that he was listed as a likely top 3 draft pick before the NCAA Tournament and his triple double against Marquette? Yet I don't recall seeing Murray State games all over my TV this past season. If a player is talented the NBA will find him, regardless of whether he plays for Duke, Kentucky, Murray State, or UTEP.

Let me preface the below by saying that I do not expect Jalen Green to play for the Miners. However, saying that playing for the Miners would hurt him because he is likely a one-and-done player is completely ridiculous. The NBA and its scouts do not decide whom to draft based on the number of times a player appears on ESPN. Are you familiar with Ja Morant? Do you realize that he was listed as a likely top 3 draft pick before the NCAA Tournament and his triple double against Marquette? Yet I don't recall seeing Murray State games all over my TV this past season. If a player is talented the NBA will find him, regardless of whether he plays for Duke, Kentucky, Murray State, or UTEP.
I'm still trying to figure out how Menzies found Pascal Siakam? He still haunts me to this day.:D:p

Exactly my point. JA Morant has the potential to be a top 3 pick. But most people are like who the hell is JA Morant. Exactly why Jalen Green coming to UTEP will hurt him. Jalen can go to an elite P5 program and conference, get tons of media attention on major networks, showcase his skills against top talent, become a star and potentially get endorsement deals coming out of college like Zion. Well ya, playing on major TV networks doesn't decide if you are an NBA player or not. I never said that.

Morant wasn't even ranked on ESPN, 247, and Rivals coming out of high school. He is more of a rags to riches type story in his 2 years at Murray. Jalen Green is the top 2020 recruit and has offers from elite P5 programs. He is already projected to play in the NBA before even playing a college basketball game. He already has a spotlight on him and he is in high school. Is playing at UTEP going to hurt him, hell ya. You think Zion would be the star he is right now and have the opportunity to sign a major endorsement deal with any shoe company right now if he played this season at UTEP?? Hell no. Do you think sports agents waiting to jump on Green once he declares for the NBA draft want him to play for UTEP? Hell No. Can Green become the star household college basketball name at UTEP like he can at Kentucky, Kansas etc... Hell No.

Last edited:
Exactly my point. JA Morant has the potential to be a top 3 pick. But most people are like who the hell is JA Morant. Exactly why Jalen Green coming to UTEP will hurt him. Jalen can go to an elite P5 program and conference, get tons of media attention on major networks, showcase his skills against top talent, become a star and potentially get endorsement deals coming out of college like Zion. Well ya, playing on major TV networks doesn't decide if you are an NBA player or not. I never said that.

Morant wasn't even ranked on ESPN, 247, and Rivals coming out of high school. He is more than a rags to riches type story in his 2 years at Murray. Jalen Green is the top 2020 recruit and has offers from elite P5 programs. He is already projected to play in the NBA before even playing a college basketball game. He already has a spotlight on him and he is in high school. Is playing at UTEP going to hurt him, hell ya. You think Zion would be the star he is right now and have the opportunity to sign a major endorsement deal with any shoe company right now if he played this season at UTEP?? Hell no. Do you think sports agents waiting to jump on Green once he declares for the NBA draft want him to play for UTEP? Hell No. Can Green become the star household college basketball name at UTEP like he can at Kentucky, Kansas etc... Hell No.
I mean this as constructively as possible as I read the banter, but it's a recruiting style of the coach. Some go for big fish, some go for bass and some are happy with Crappie and hope they become bigger fish with coaching and development. CRT is no Coach Bennett as of right now but he is in no way beneath Coach Beard. Coaches like to to get their name out there and aim very high knowing the odds are slim. Rick Stansbury is doing it at WKU and he landed 5 star Charles Bassey (but finished at an underwhelming 20-14 record). Getting a five is by no means a given to a great season but it gives the staff the leverage to build around a player sooner rather than later coming out of high school.

One the opposite end which is longer but bears good fruit is the long haul, like Tony Barbee. Culpepper, Stone and others where not highly recruited with some with no or small school D1 offers. Stone was recruited late by Barbee and Stone didn't think he would get a D1 offer. Memphis passed up on Culpepper because he was too small. Barbee style was to hit high schools others look over and find that "diamond in the rough". There were no high value targets on the Barbee recruiting trail and it worked for him at UTEP.

So my point is, you don't know unless you try.

On the opposite side of a Julyan Stone type baller, do you remember Brian Zoubek? Of course you don't. But he was with the 2010 Duke National Champ team and a five star coming out of New Jersey. He was undrafted and waived by the Nets the same year. He went on to make cream puff pastries then went into real estate.

Available Transfer:

Lindsey Drew Nevada Sr 6'4" PG shot around 40% from 3 and 80% from the line his junior year with 4+ assists per game. Red shirted last year so immediately available.

Available Transfer:

Lindsey Drew Nevada Sr 6'4" PG shot around 40% from 3 and 80% from the line his junior year with 4+ assists per game. Red shirted last year so immediately available.
He's had surgeries on both hips (one in Dec. and one in Jan.) and is recovering from a ruptured achilles. Sounds like he has some healing to do before he can play. Would he be ready for the start of the season?

He's had surgeries on both hips (one in Dec. and one in Jan.) and is recovering from a ruptured achilles. Sounds like he has some healing to do before he can play. Would he be ready for the start of the season?
Not sure about the extent of the hip surgeries, but I suspect he could have a pretty rapid recovery. The achilles surgery was 14 months ago.

I think Daryl Edwards or Drew could be really good options for us this season. Both are good leaders and defenders. Drew is the better assist guy.

This could drastically change the look for next year if he comes. 6' 8" 219 lbs, 23.6 ppg, 10.3 rpg and 8.5 apg. If he picks us over Duke and Kansas; the gamer from Slovenia will soon be a household word. Elbuod Elpirt.

Not sure about the extent of the hip surgeries, but I suspect he could have a pretty rapid recovery. The achilles surgery was 14 months ago.

I think Daryl Edwards or Drew could be really good options for us this season. Both are good leaders and defenders. Drew is the better assist guy.
Great call on Edwards. Hopefully he commits

Khavon Moore
6'-8" guard/forward is transferring out of Texas Tech. The freshman who was their top recruit (50th nationality, I think) only played two minutes this year. Been contacted by many big schools. ????

I have had several conversations with the BBall coaching staff recently about next year. The energy and excitement from them is infectious and exciting. They truly think we will be really competitive and probably one of the best teams we have seen in a UTEP uni in a long long time. They are really high on the talent level we have this year from the kids that were on the transfer bench last year. They believe that Bryson Williams and Anthony Tarke are NBA caliber talent.

I have had several conversations with the BBall coaching staff recently about next year. The energy and excitement from them is infectious and exciting. They truly think we will be really competitive and probably one of the best teams we have seen in a UTEP uni in a long long time. They are really high on the talent level we have this year from the kids that were on the transfer bench last year. They believe that Bryson Williams and Anthony Tarke are NBA caliber talent.
Wish the season started tomorrow

Reactions: WestTx12
Just for fun I ran some stats from our 4 freshman and the team from 2018-2019. I compared them to what 2019-2020 might hypothetically entail when adding Williams, Tarke, Boum and Verhoeven.

2018-2019/ 2019-2020
PTS per game 64.1/ PTS per game 82.9
TRB 36.89/ TRB 41.3
Assists 10.5/ Assists 10.2
Steals 4.65/ Steals 5
BLK 2.86/ BLK 6.3
FT% .662/ FT% .647
3-pt% .320/ 3-pt% .304

Notes:
We have 6 guys who have averaged 10+ pts/game at the D1 level

Points and rebounds totals are both top 20 in the country.

Our shot blocking capacity will more than double, putting us in the top 10 in the country

We need many more assists with all these finishers!

We are a poor free throw and 3pt shooting team.

Leaders are:
Pts Tarke 15.9
TRB Odigie 10.1
Assists Lathon 2.7
Steals Tarke 1.3
BLK Verhoeven 2.2
FT% Boum 83%
3-pt% Boum 36%

These stats don't include Stroud, Archie, Vila and Zarzuela.

Last edited:
Just for fun I ran some stats from our 4 freshman and the team from 2018-2019. I compared them to what 2019-2020 might hypothetically entail when adding Williams, Tarke, Boum and Verhoeven.

2018-2019/ 2019-2020
TRB 36.89/ TRB 41.3
Steals 4.65/ Steals 5
BLK 2.86/ BLK 6.3
FT% .662/ FT% .647
3-pt% .320/ 3-pt% .304

Notes:

Our shot blocking capacity will more than double, putting us in the top 10 in the country

Leaders are:
Pts Tarke 15.9
TRB Odigie 10.1
Assists Lathon 2.7
Steals Tarke 1.3
BLK Verhoeven 2.2
FT% Boum 83%
3-pt% Boum 36%

Good work axing!

I seem to have higher expectations for Stroud than anyone else on this board. I think he will be a major contributer.

I expect good things from him. I just don’t think he’ll be lighting it up from the outside. More of a slasher type. He just hasn’t amassed any stats yet which is I’m guessing why he was left out of axing’s post. Kind of a mystery as to where he fits in as a shooter.

I expect good things from him. I just don’t think he’ll be lighting it up from the outside. More of a slasher type. He just hasn’t amassed any stats yet which is I’m guessing why he was left out of axing’s post. Kind of a mystery as to where he fits in as a shooter.
I agree on his outside game. My sentiments are based strictly on his athleticism. The fact that he was Terry's first signee says something too.
Reminds me of Juden

Last edited:
One way they need not worry about the outside shooting is playing a "40 minutes of Hell" type defense to create fast break opportunities. With all the athletic slashers that would be a good option.

2018-2019/ 2019-2020
TRB 36.89/ TRB 41.3
Steals 4.65/ Steals 5
BLK 2.86/ BLK 6.3
FT% .662/ FT% .647
3-pt% .320/ 3-pt% .304

Notes:

Leaders are:
Pts Tarke 15.9
TRB Odigie 10.1
Assists Lathon 2.7
Steals Tarke 1.3
BLK Verhoeven 2.2
FT% Boum 83%
3-pt% Boum 36%

No stats from Bryson?

Bryson is a guy we haven't talked about much, but he may be the star of next year's team. Im looking at him to be a Stefon Jackson caliber player
He will be much, much needed help for EO. EO just got back alley beat up last year because he didn't have much help as Thomas and Eze were so damn foul prone. I wouldn't compare him to Tarke because Tarke's athleticism is on another level but more of a Jeremy Williams from the Barbee days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT