ADVERTISEMENT

NEXT YEAR

It would be interesting to see efe at the 4.... he did have a decent midrange shot... I always picture him as a 5 ... what do you all think ?

Isn’t it going to be nice To have villa eze verhouven and odigie ?? Love the depth!

Reactions: miner1liner
IMO To start the season:

PG Lathon So.
SG Boum So.
SF Tarke Jr.
PF Williams Jr.
C Odigie So.

PG Hawkins So.
SG Stroud Fr.
SF Archie So. (2nd half of season)
PF Villa Jr.
PF Verhoeven So.

C Ezeagu So. Redshirt
PG Zarzuela Fr. Redshirt
SG Kennedy So. Sitting out
That's exactly my starting five as well. I agree with redshirt for EZ because he must learn the game better to compliment his physique. I'm not so sure tho about Zarz; mainly because I feel there is need for a perimeter threat and possibly another option at point. He could hopefully fiil the bill.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
That's exactly my starting five as well. I agree with redshirt for EZ because he must learn the game better to compliment his physique. I'm not so sure tho about Zarz; mainly because I feel there is need for a perimeter threat and possibly another option at point. He could hopefully fiil the bill.
Agree. I can't see Hawkins as the backup point guard spot. Not sure if Boum is capable either. I think Terry brought in Zarzuela to be Lathon's backup.

Did anyone know that Tydus Verhoeven’s mom was drafted by the LA Spark back in her day or was this posted already and I just missed it? He also has an uncle who played in the NBA.

I was just watching a couple highlight vids and reading some evals on him and came across that info, which I had not read before. BB is in his blood!!!

Last edited:
Did anyone know that Tydus Verhoeven’s mom was drafted by the LA Spark back in her day or was this posted already and I just missed it? He also has an uncle who played in the NBA.

I was just watching a couple highlight vids and reading some evals on him and came across that info, which I had not read before. BB is in his blood!!!
This kid is a showstopper on defense. If he can rebound and finish, then Odigie and Eze may be in trouble for some playing time. I just hope he doesn't want to pull a Paul Thomas and get away from the rim where he is most effective.

This kid is a showstopper on defense. If he can rebound and finish, then Odigie and Eze may be in trouble for some playing time. I just hope he doesn't want to pull a Paul Thomas and get away from the rim where he is most effective.

Agree. But keep in mind he left Duquesne because they only wanted to play him down low and weren’t utilizing his full skill set. He was used in that non-traditional point forward role in HS due to his high bb IQ and ball handling skills.

Despite being 6-9, I could see he and BW on the court at the same time with Verhoeven playing more of a 3 or 3/4 hybrid. Also agree with you that his most valuable contribution will be on the defensive end swatting and altering shots with his 7-0 wingspan. DVD 2.0?!

I honestly don’t know if we’ll see him playing the 5 all that much unless Eze redshirts, which I’m not so sure he will. Guess we’ll know in a few short months.

Last edited:
Agree. But keep in mind he left Duquesne because they only wanted to play him down low and weren’t utilizing his full skill set. He was used in that non-traditional point forward role in HS due to his high bb IQ and ball handling skills.

Despite being 6-9, I could see he and BW on the court at the same time with Verhoeven playing more of a 3 or 3/4 hybrid. Also agree with you that his most valuable contribution will be on the defensive end swatting and altering shots with his 7-0 wingspan. DVD 2.0?!

I honestly don’t know if we’ll see him playing the 5 all that much unless Eze redshirts, which I’m not so sure he will. Guess we’ll know in a few short months.
I wish it was a few "short" months. I feel like it's many " long " months.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Final roster updated. Efe is down to 255lbs. I know its cliche, but this is the biggest, strongest, deepest and most versatile team we've had in years. I'm expecting our defense to take a big step up and that should afford us another 5-7 wins alone.
I'm on board saying this team will at least win 20. Partly due to the weak non conference and non D1 games and partly due to the improved roster. However if we go into tourney 20-9ish and about a 4-6 seed we could be very dangerous once this team fully gels

I'm on board saying this team will at least win 20. Partly due to the weak non conference and non D1 games and partly due to the improved roster. However if we go into tourney 20-9ish and about a 4-6 seed we could be very dangerous once this team fully gels
I also have high expectations for this year's team. The core players have had a year plus to practice together, so I am hoping that pays immediate dividends on the court. They are still young at many spots, but talented. I expect Williams to step in right away as an all conference type player. Can't wait to see these guys on the court.

That’s awesome to hear that it seems the teams chemistry is good that always really helps.... sooo he sees nba potential in stroud??

How do you all see this new Edwards guy fitting in? He a starter ? 6th man?

Do you all think we will be a good rebounding team?

That’s awesome to hear that it seems the teams chemistry is good that always really helps.... sooo he sees nba potential in stroud??

Things may have changed since the end of last season, but Terry had mentioned that he thought Williams and Tarke had NBA potential. Stroud is said to have improved his game, in particular his shooting ability, during his red shirt year. Athletically he is off the charts.

I think we should be greatly improved defensively and in rebounding simply by having better athletes and more quality depth. We can't be worse in these areas than we were last year.

On Edwards, I can see him playing key minutes this season on a team that is young in the backcourt. Specifically, I think Edwards can be a major factor at the end of games in situations where the team needs a big stop defensively, or someone needs to step up and make a big free throw. The hope is that Edwards provides a stabilizing factor to an inexperienced backcourt.

Things may have changed since the end of last season, but Terry had mentioned that he thought Williams and Tarke had NBA potential. Stroud is said to have improved his game, in particular his shooting ability, during his red shirt year. Athletically he is off the charts.

I think we should be greatly improved defensively and in rebounding simply by having better athletes and more quality depth. We can't be worse in these areas than we were last year.

On Edwards, I can see him playing key minutes this season on a team that is young in the backcourt. Specifically, I think Edwards can be a major factor at the end of games in situations where the team needs a big stop defensively, or someone needs to step up and make a big free throw. The hope is that Edwards provides a stabilizing factor to an inexperienced backcourt.
Expectations are high for this years team. I'm not saying a NCAA invite but I also think it can be done because this team is way more loaded than Billy G's second year team which overachieved. This team appears to be ready and are "eating their Wheaties".
wheaties-beer-cereal_wide-fd8546363d764a3ed3d9d8f2821c636654881953-s800-c85.jpg

Reactions: Lil_Train

If we have good chemistry then the sky is the limit. The exciting part is that none of us know what will happen, so hopes are high. The Tech exhibition may not tell us a lot because it's so early, but it will be a fun barometer as this will be their 1st time all together on the court in front of fans.

I think our rebounding will be really good. Efe was already a top rebounder and has worked hard to get in better shape. I think Williams could be a double double guy (or close to it). Throw in a bunch of other big athletic guys and it's only a matter of wanting to get the ball.

William's and Tarke will be starters and should combine to be one of the top forward combos in CUSA.

I think if healthy then Edwards should probably start to round out the top 5. His experience and defensive prowess will go far in CUSA (and down the line). He had decent shooting percentages 2 years ago also (37% from 3 and 80% from the line).

Boum should be the 1st guard off the bench (6th man) and could lead the team in scoring.

Stroud could be a fan favorite and best candidate for an ESPN top 10 play. He may have the biggest ceiling, but may be initially limited with Tarke and Archie theoretically in the same position.

If Stroud is capable of scoring and defending at SG, then Hawkins may be in trouble of getting any more playing time. Hawkins should be our 4th guard right now, but will have to battle with Kennedy (or possibly another freshman gaurd) next year when Edward's is gone.

The guy I really want to see is Verhoeven. He has prototypical size for a PF and is an X-factor on defense. He and Vila could pose big matchup problems.

PG Lathon
SG Edwards
SF Tarke
PF William's
C Efe

6th man Boum
4th guard Hawkins (or Stroud).
SF Stroud vs Archie (2nd semester)
Roaming front line Vila and Verhoeven
True Center Eze

Last edited:
If we have good chemistry then the sky is the limit. The exciting part is that none of us know what will happen, so hopes are high. The Tech exhibition may not tell us a lot because it's so early, but it will be a fun barometer as this will be their 1st time all together on the court in front of fans.

I think our rebounding will be really good. Efe was already a top rebounder and has worked hard to get in better shape. I think Williams could be a double double guy (or close to it). Throw in a bunch of other big athletic guys and it's only a matter wanting to get the ball.

William's and Tarke will be starters and should combine to be one of the top forward combos in CUSA.

I think if healthy then Edwards should probably start to round out the top 5. His experience and defensive prowess will go far in CUSA (and down the line). He had decent shooting percentages 2 years ago also (37% from 3 and 80% from the line).

Boum should be the 1st guard off the bench (6th man) and could lead the team in scoring.

Stroud could be a fan favorite and best candidate for an ESPN top 10 play. He may have the biggest ceiling, but may be initially limited with Tarke and Archie theoretically in the same position.

If Stroud is capable of scoring and defending at SG, then Hawkins may be in trouble of getting any more playing time. Hawkins should be our 4th guard right now, but will have to battle with Kennedy (or possibly another freshman gaurd) next year when Edward's is gone.

The guy I really want to see is Verhoeven. He has prototypical size for a PF and is an X-factor on defense. He and Vila could pose big matchup problems.

PG Lathon
SG Edwards
SF Tarke
PF William's
C Efe

6th man Boum
Front line Vila and Verhoeven
True Center Eze
Efe is really working his butt off (literally). He seems really dedicated to improving his game.

Expectations are high for this years team. I'm not saying a NCAA invite but I also think it can be done because this team is way more loaded than Billy G's second year team which overachieved. This team appears to be ready and are "eating their Wheaties".
wheaties-beer-cereal_wide-fd8546363d764a3ed3d9d8f2821c636654881953-s800-c85.jpg

Agree that this team is more loaded than CBG’s second year, but that team was the epitome of great chemistry. If this team has that, it sounds that a trip to the tourney is quite possible.

I think our rebounding will be really good. Efe was already a top rebounder and has worked hard to get in better shape. I think Williams could be a double double guy (or close to it). Throw in a bunch of other big athletic guys and it's only a matter wanting to get the ball.

PG Lathon
SG Edwards
SF Tarke
PF William's
C Efe

6th man Boum
Front line Vila and Verhoeven
True Center Eze
Excellent analysis axingfools1. Just a couple of additional comments-

1. The expectation is for Lathon to likely play around 30 minutes per game at the point. I'm hoping Edwards can step in as Lathon's backup for the other ten or so minutes. This is a critical piece to the puzzle in my opinion, especially against stronger competition. If Edwards can fill this role, that would leave additional minutes for the other two/Shooting guards. Like you said, this all assumes Edwards is healthy.

2. I am a super encouraged by the work Efe has put in this off season to lean up; which Terry mentioned at various times last year as something he needed to do. I think that the lack of roster numbers last year really inflated some of his stats; for instance I really did not consider him a great rebounder. To me, the stats did not tell the whole story. I am anxious to see how he fits in with some better and more experienced guys around him, and to see if he is now able to defend the 4 spot. We will all get a better idea of what we really have once we see these guys in action.

Last edited:
Excellent analysis axingfools1. Just a couple of additional comments-

1. The expectation is for Lathon to likely play around 30 minutes per game at the point. I'm hoping Edwards can step in as Lathon's backup for the other ten or so minutes. This is a critical piece to the puzzle in my opinion, especially against stronger competition. If Edwards can fill this role, that would leave additional minutes for the other two/Shooting guards. Like you said, this all assumes Edwards is healthy.

2. I am a super encouraged by the work Efe has put in this off season to lean up; which Terry mentioned at various times last year as something he needed to do. I think that the lack of roster numbers last year really inflated some of his stats; for instance I really did not consider him a great rebounder. To me, the stats did not tell the whole story. I am anxious to see how he fits in with some better and more experienced guys around him, and to see if he is now able to defend the 4 spot. We will all get a better idea of what we really have once we see these guys in action.
I think Efe's rebounds came largely from his wife body because a jumper; he was not. Hopefully his trimmed down body will result in more jumping ability and quickness/mobility. Maybe he can even slam it home now and not miss easy layups.

I was told that Williams will be better than Vince Hunter. From my same source, I would expect UTEP to press a lot. They guys are big and long. The team will have starting guards that are at least 6'4" with very long arms. I was told that the team reminded my friend of a good Syracuse team. He said that we may see some of the match up zone stuff that Syracuse runs because of the tremendous length that the team has. I am super pumped up and think we will win 22-24 games and either make the NCAA tournament or a deep run in the NIT.

I was told that Williams will be better than Vince Hunter. From my same source, I would expect UTEP to press a lot. They guys are big and long. The team will have starting guards that are at least 6'4" with very long arms. I was told that the team reminded my friend of a good Syracuse team. He said that we may see some of the match up zone stuff that Syracuse runs because of the tremendous length that the team has. I am super pumped up and think we will win 22-24 games and either make the NCAA tournament or a deep run in the NIT.
That's pretty high expectations for Williams regarding VH. I don't think Bryson is the same level athlete, but he could be just as effective this year and will probably be a lot more mature in his decision making. Let's hope he doesn't declare after 1 year. The good thing though is that if Bryson is that good and does declare, he could always come back (unlike VH).

From what I have read and seen Villa is more of a 2/3 in a PF body, more of a perimeter player. The good thing if someone gets injured which seems to happen a lot, there will be someone of comparable talent that can come in. It will be interesting how CRT will handle the minutes and rotation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT