ADVERTISEMENT

No More Free Parking in the Rudolph Lot

I think that lot is going to get developed by Hunt anyway, so this might just be a transitional arrangement.

WTF!!! R they trying to kill off tailgating and attendance in one fell swoop!!!

This has nothing to do with UTEP. The lot was bought in 2010 by Campus Developers and they wanted to build apartments. That plan failed, so Campus Developers sold the lot to Parking Systems of America.

Article says lot is being "managed" by PSA, not that they bought it.

Could not believe it, saw it on the news tonight and I just shook my head. WTF is going on with UTEP Athletics in general, the band sucks, the stadium is in disrepair, our BB coach is picking fights with local media, the kids zone is taken away, music selection during timeouts are horrible, chants suck, tailgating rules are implemented and now they want to charge for one of the few parking lots that are free. You thought we hit an all time low with the 17,000 from 2 weeks ago, well get ready to sink to lower numbers with this bs. Enough is enough, this program is slowly being run into the ground. I'm pissed !!

Reactions: e-rick and picks up
Could not believe it, saw it on the news tonight and I just shook my head. WTF is going on with UTEP Athletics in general, the band sucks, the stadium is in disrepair, our BB coach is picking fights with local media, the kids zone is taken away, music selection during timeouts are horrible, chants suck, tailgating rules are implemented and now they want to charge for one of the few parking lots that are free. You thought we hit an all time low with the 17,000 from 2 weeks ago, well get ready to sink to lower numbers with this bs. Enough is enough, this program is slowly being run into the ground. I'm pissed !!
Wow! All that ranting because the Rudolph lot will charge $5 for basketball parking? What is the world coming to? I'm sure the end is near. $5... oh the humanity.

Last edited:
Wow! All that ranting because the Rudolph lot will charge $5 for basketball parking? What is the world coming to? I'm sure the end is near. $5... oh the humanity.

There is a lot of development going on all along Mesa that has nothing to do with UTEP. As far as parking, there is no more land, the only way to go is up, "Go up my son! Build up to the sky!" (sorry, couldn't help it). Enjoy the $5 now. It's going to go for a premium price in a few short years. The downtown arena has been greenlighted and the city is ready to build. Parking will be the new gold, from downtown to Sunland Park Drive.

Reactions: UTEP05
True, especially since we all tailgate for basketball games.....that's it I'm done I'm never attending a game again

Haha -- they probably won't need any of that parking space for basketball this season anyway.

Look on the bright side, if there was a winning program, parking would cost $15!!

It's the accumulation of all the bs, not just the $5. What's next, charging us to take pics with Paydirt Pete? Besides those $5 bucks add up you know, in fact, it'll cut into my Kettel Korn fix...damn! Now I'm really pissed.

UNM charges $10 for parking. There are still a lot of places around UTEP to park for free.

I've mentioned it here before, but $5 may not be a lot to you and me, but I know for sure $5 is a lot of money to a lot of people.

Reactions: e-rick
What's sad to me is that on a message board where you would think the most die hard Miner fans congregate, so many of us are crying about a $5 parking fee. If most El Paso sports fans feel this way, maybe UTEP needs to just give up on being division 1 in athletics. It's just sad how so many people think this way.

What's sad to me is that on a message board where you would think the most die hard Miner fans congregate, so many of us are crying about a $5 parking fee. If most El Paso sports fans feel this way, maybe UTEP needs to just give up on being division 1 in athletics. It's just sad how so many people think this way.

I don't think its just the $5, its the growing frustration with athletics as a whole.

I remember when we had a sold out Memphis game at the same time as a sold out Monster Truck Show. Instead of a plan on how to combat the issue and organizing a way to accommodate both events, UTEP said, 'show up earlier.' There was no plan.

And now at the games, you get on a bus miles away from the stadium only to pass empty lot after empty lot. UTEP has never been able to partner with local businesses to work parking. There is no planning ever. The only plan is to restrict access to anywhere close to the stadium and have all non-season ticket holders to figure something out.

The games have no production value. The stadium experience is awful, putting food trucks on the concourse is their best idea. The only thing my kids look forward to at the games is the Kettle Corn sample. The product on the field/court stinks.

Back to the $5. I would much rather give my money to UTEP and not a private parking company. There are empty lots on campus in front of the Sun Bowl with spaces that are empty that I would pay to park in before giving the money to a parking company. Or, find a local non-profit group or team that can charge for parking and fundraise at the same time.

I don't think its just the $5, its the growing frustration with athletics as a whole.

I remember when we had a sold out Memphis game at the same time as a sold out Monster Truck Show. Instead of a plan on how to combat the issue and organizing a way to accommodate both events, UTEP said, 'show up earlier.' There was no plan.

And now at the games, you get on a bus miles away from the stadium only to pass empty lot after empty lot. UTEP has never been able to partner with local businesses to work parking. There is no planning ever. The only plan is to restrict access to anywhere close to the stadium and have all non-season ticket holders to figure something out.

The games have no production value. The stadium experience is awful, putting food trucks on the concourse is their best idea. The only thing my kids look forward to at the games is the Kettle Corn sample. The product on the field/court stinks.

Back to the $5. I would much rather give my money to UTEP and not a private parking company. There are empty lots on campus in front of the Sun Bowl with spaces that are empty that I would pay to park in before giving the money to a parking company. Or, find a local non-profit group or team that can charge for parking and fundraise at the same time.

Kettle Corn matters.

The empty lot example is on point. There can't be that many season ticket holders for all those empty spots.

Kickball hit the nail right on the head, to add to that, you have to look at it in context. It's one thing to charge when the team is winning and the parking lots are overflowing, I doubt many would argue the 5 bones but when the team is not doing too hot and the stands and parking lots are empty...really, horrible timing. I'm with Kickball, wouldn't mind if the money was going to UTEP but it's not. What they should do is allow the parking lots reserved for season ticket holders, which are embarrassingly empty, opened up for the public for $5, that I would not have a problem with cuz my money is going to UTEP. Are we clear Mr. Wisconsin, so it's not about being a tight wad as what you are probably insinuating.

Kickball hit the nail right on the head, to add to that, you have to look at it in context. It's one thing to charge when the team is winning and the parking lots are overflowing, I doubt many would argue the 5 bones but when the team is not doing too hot and the stands and parking lots are empty...really, horrible timing. I'm with Kickball, wouldn't mind if the money was going to UTEP but it's not. What they should do is allow the parking lots reserved for season ticket holders, which are embarrassingly empty, opened up for the public for $5, that I would not have a problem with cuz my money is going to UTEP. Are we clear Mr. Wisconsin, so it's not about being a tight wad as what you are probably insinuating.
Very clear. Well said and I agree with you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT