ADVERTISEMENT

OT: El Paso Population Question

What appears strange on the Market maps is Luna (Deming) and Grant (Silver City) are counted on the ABQ market yet both areas receive EP TV and I think both counties are more oriented toward EP than ABQ. Same argument could be made for Otero (Alamogordo) as well.

What appears strange on the Market maps is Luna (Deming) and Grant (Silver City) are counted on the ABQ market yet both areas receive EP TV and I think both counties are more oriented toward EP than ABQ. Same argument could be made for Otero (Alamogordo) as well.

My folks reside in Deming. They receive Albuquerque TV broadcasting via DirecTV, not El Paso. I don't know if it has always been that way, but it certainly has the last ten years. Adversely, my in-laws reside in Logan, NM (east/central NM, just north of Tucumcari) and they get Amarillo and Albuquerque broadcasting.

Excellent analysis, pure population numbers for metro areas don't tell us much. We should be considering "markets or trade areas" instead. I think in the future Mexico's influence on the EP market must be included and accurately measured and defined because they play a huge roll in the overall economy of EP. Do they watch US TV? not known but they certainly shop and use services here.
You have to remember that not all El Paso broadcasting is done in English Language. Much of it is done through Spanish language broadcasters.

For example, Canal 26 is still probably one of, if not, the most watched El Paso network. They most certainly have viewership in Juarez due to the large concentration of individuals that come here to work each day and want to know whats going on. KINT, KTDO and KTFN all broadcast from our Media Market and have widespread reach across the border but the El Paso market doesn't get credit for those tv sets.

If you want to watch the Dallas Cowboys in Juarez, which of course has a large following in Mexico, you can easily do it OTA and all Cowboys broadcast are simulcast in Spanish.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT