ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Fate of the arena

Well the vote was 4 to 3 to abandon the arena and "re-allocate funds" whatever that means. It better go to another vote.
Some of the new council reps ran on a platform of killing the arena (in Duranguito) so in a sense the voters have spoken.

Last edited:
I’m with NoWins. Don’t think it makes a lot of sense and I see it as a Money Pit in the short and long term.

However, the voters were promised an Arena and ultimately the money is being used to renovate existing buildings.

Doesn’t seem right to me. It’s corruption. Taxing for one thing and providing something else.

Why vote YES on any bonds in the future? Why vote YES on anything El Paso wants?

You cannot trust the City Government to provide what they promised

KVIA:

In a split decision city council voted in favor of moving forward with the multi-purpose facility, but not in the Duranguito neighborhood in Downtown El Paso.

• Wow
Reactions: FarWestTexas
Confused. So now it is being built?

Earlier they were going to reallocate funds

Check out this article from El Paso Times:

El Paso City Council votes to abandon Downtown arena project, reallocate remaining funds

El Paso City Council votes to abandon Downtown arena project, reallocate remaining funds

I guess city council just goes with online surveys now🤷‍♂️

Reactions: kickballpro
Hell hath no fury like a professor scorned! Blame Trevor!

Build the hybrid a la Circuit of the Americas amphitheater! 114 degree summer day to see Little Joe y la Familia at the Oscar Lesser Amphitheater!
I agree what bullshit. I read that dumb opinion piece Grossman wrote about how the Arena would now cost more, “yeah no thanks to you.”

Something you probably didn't know about Estadio Olimpico Universitario is that it's architecture cannot be renovated in any single way because some years ago it was declared Patrimonio de la Humanidad by the UN or something like that.
The same thing with the Parc De Princes in Paris. PSG is trying to buy the stadium from the Paris City council but they’re asking for several times what what was expected. But PSG is wary to invest more money into a stadium they do not own, nor tear down since it’s a protected landmark, and there are rumors of them buying land outside of the city for a stadium. But if they manage to buy the Parc one of the only ways they can increase capacity without altering the structure is by lowering the pitch. The funny thing is America has destroyed more iconic arenas than we can name.

I’m with NoWins. Don’t think it makes a lot of sense and I see it as a Money Pit in the short and long term.

However, the voters were promised an Arena and ultimately the money is being used to renovate existing buildings.

Doesn’t seem right to me. It’s corruption. Taxing for one thing and providing something else.

Why vote YES on any bonds in the future? Why vote YES on anything El Paso wants?

You cannot trust the City Government to provide what they promised

I’m not necessarily 100% against an arena. Just have a damn plan. Unless there’s a site, a cost, and some mock ups. Not interested.

I am also not interested in anything with 15,000 seats. Without a major league team, that is too big and too costly.

Do you think Beto and his father in law Bill Sanders and all the partners will allow all the people they displaced in that area any remediation? Smh- another El Paso corrupt story foiled.

I’m not necessarily 100% against an arena. Just have a damn plan. Unless there’s a site, a cost, and some mock ups. Not interested.

I am also not interested in anything with 15,000 seats. Without a major league team, that is too big and too costly.
Well there is a site. We allocated x amount to it do there is a cost too

Infuriating

I don’t have a dog in this race, but I’ll just say that when a community is as slow to make progress as El Paso has historically been, it certainly is depressing for those of us who have deep roots there.

I live in Nashville and it’s a polar opposite mindset. For example, a study was done on the costs of renovating Titan stadium and the costs came back at over $1 billion. What the city/business/Titans do, they proposed a state-of-the-art indoor stadium at a cost of $2.5 billion and got it through the red tape in less than a year with ground-breaking scheduled for later this year. SMH
Nashville is a booming affluent city. El Paso is a border town getting poorer

So, if the city still has $163 million of the original funds, I hope they have that parked in some kind of investments so that it earns some returns while the politicians figure out what to do. Don't sit around and cry that $163 million doesn't buy what it once would. There should be some growth in those funds, if they were managed correctly, given the length of time this issue has dragged on.

So, if the city still has $163 million of the original funds, I hope they have that parked in some kind of investments so that it earns some returns while the politicians figure out what to do. Don't sit around and cry that $163 million doesn't buy what it once would. There should be some growth in those funds, if they were managed correctly, given the length of time this issue has dragged on.
Yep. Even if they had it in a high yield savings account they would have another 100 million by now. Not sure if they can do that though.

So many good things happened and happening but this needs put to rest, buried and saved for social media accounts on EP history (Ahem! No pun intend). What needs to be learned is the mistakes so as to not let down voters in such a spectacular fashion, again.

I personally would take EP any day of the week compared to other American cities of similar population size, even with pro teams and amusement parks, and not just because of the weather (despite this afternoon will be blowing like crazy). Not having a "Cheesecake Factory" is not the be all and end all as so locals claim. :p

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT