ADVERTISEMENT

Ot: FC Juarez

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
Are they in the finals or something? I saw them on TV the other day.

They are currently in 11th place and need to finish in the top 8 in order to make the Play-Offs. They have roughly 5 games left in their season.

They have been simultaeneously playing in the Copa Mexico Tournament, which is probably what you saw on TV. Unfortunately, they have been doing better in the Copa Mexico Tournament(week day games) this year than they have in their regular season(weekend games). If they were to ultimately win the championship from their season, they would be promoted. I am not sure what type of reward they would get if they ever won the Copa Mexico Tournament, but I don't think it is as good as promotion?

They are currently in 11th place and need to finish in the top 8 in order to make the Play-Offs. They have roughly 5 games left in their season.

They have been simultaeneously playing in the Copa Mexico Tournament, which is probably what you saw on TV. Unfortunately, they have been doing better in the Copa Mexico Tournament(week day games) this year than they have in their regular season(weekend games). If they were to ultimately win the championship from their season, they would be promoted. I am not sure what type of reward they would get if they ever won the Copa Mexico Tournament, but I don't think it is as good as promotion?

In order for them to be promoted they have to win the Summer Tournament then play vs the winner of the Winter Tournament.

They reached the promotion to Division 1 playoff game in their first season but lost to Necaxa. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise. I feel like they need to develop their "cantera" or farm system first rather than having to rely on foreign signings. I don't think that foreign player model is the way to go because they really will never be able to compete with the money that the larger teams have. They should take the approach that teams like Pachuca use.

They reached the promotion to Division 1 playoff game in their first season but lost to Necaxa. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise. I feel like they need to develop their "cantera" or farm system first rather than having to rely on foreign signings. I don't think that foreign player model is the way to go because they really will never be able to compete with the money that the larger teams have. They should take the approach that teams like Pachuca use.

Unfortunately Mexican Soccer Federation is filled with crap by the team owners who really prefer to fill out teams with foreigners than to truly develop the youth ranks. It's incredible and ironic than in a country of more then 120 millions people they have to do that.

If El Paso can't get a MLS franchise then why not a Mexican fútbol franchise instead?

I've inquired about this before and I don't remember the exact reason, but I want to say FIFA does not allow domestic leagues to have teams in countries that have a league. So MLS can't expand into Mexico and vice versa.

That is correct what kickballpro said. As far as the reward for winning Copa MX I'm not sure this season. In previous tournaments the winner would qualify for the presitigious South American Copa Libertadores. Something happened with the schedule and Liga MX teams are not participating this upcoming season. Aside from the cash prize I don't what else they win this season.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
That is correct what kickballpro said. As far as the reward for winning Copa MX I'm not sure this season. In previous tournaments the winner would qualify for the presitigious South American Copa Libertadores. Something happened with the schedule and Liga MX teams are not participating this upcoming season. Aside from the cash prize I don't what else they win this season.
It interfere with the Mexican Calendar

It's nice that FC Juarez is doing well, but I don't follow them. I think MLS would be El Paso's best opportunity for a top tier professional team. However, IMO there will be no MLS in El Paso anytime soon. The qualifications now, as I understand it, are $200 million and a new stadium. Also, most El Pasoans root for the Mexican national team and watch european soccer when their Liga MX team is not playing. El Paso may not provide enough long term support for an MLS team (15k-17k/game), but it would be close or more if the team were successful. El PASO has done well with the AAA Chihuahuas minor league team, but MLS would be on a scale 2/3 times more (with of course less games).

I say let's get the arena built and start hosting boxing, UFC, NCAA, concerts, expos, etc... Let's show that we can provide bigger and better support and maybe, just maybe we could land an MLS team in the next expansion if Foster and crew are still interested.

Doesnt el paso have enough hotels? Why doesnt las cruces and el paso work together. There is enough space between el paso and las cruces to build hotels.

Doesnt el paso have enough hotels? Why doesnt las cruces and el paso work together. There is enough space between el paso and las cruces to build hotels.
Number one reason is the venue is too far from the airport.

Not enough full service hotels in Las Cruces. According to the NCAA, the host school needs at least six (four for the teams, one for CBS/ Turner (media) and for the officials.
Actually the Pan American Center could pull it off because of the portable floor they use. The NCAA wants to put in their own floor, which is why two of the most memorable Final Fours: The Huntsmen/ Special Events Center in Salt Lake City (1979- IN. St., MI. St., DePaul and Penn.) and the Pit in ABQ (1983- Hou., N.C. St., Louisville and UGA) will not host sub.- regionals or regionals any time soon. It is still in Salt Lake City, but at the home of the Utah Jazz: Vivint Smart Home Arena.

Why doesn't Juarez, one of the top five cities by population in all of Mexico, have a team in the top league of their major sport? I guess they had that one team promoted for one season then immediately relegated. Nothing sustained: how absolutely pathetic for Juarez. If Juarez can't support a top-tier soccer team in their league then why would we expect El Paso to be any better?

Why doesn't Juarez, one of the top five cities by population in all of Mexico, have a team in the top league of their major sport? I guess they had that one team promoted for one season then immediately relegated. Nothing sustained: how absolutely pathetic for Juarez. If Juarez can't support a top-tier soccer team in their league then why would we expect El Paso to be any better?

They were able to get fan support, but they suffer from piss poor ownership and corrupt business practices. The Indios were on track for a state of the art 44,000 seat stadium, but I guess it was just a scam to get money.

Hopefully with a stable group like Mountain Star behind FC Juarez, that the eventual promotion will be a permanent one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT