ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Next Big Thing for El Paso?

What will be El Paso's next big thing to come?

• State of the Art Aquarium

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Great Wolf Lodge / Other form of new waterpark

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • New Amusement Park

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • New Pro Team (pending Arena resolve)

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • IKEA / Other Large Retailer

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • Other (fill in blank)

Votes: 5 11.1%

• Total voters
Time the 'Eff Out!
How are we having such a discussion, and no one has mentioned the lack of an HEB or Kroger!
HEB is so PURO, it's probably more Mexican than Big 8. People lined up for hours in South Texas for some Selena recyclable bags!
I don’t think El Paso is getting an HEB before Dallas. It’s still a long ways away.

Reactions: burnme1
Been 4 years since I was last there. If Eagle Pass can have Poker rooms and tournaments why can’t Speaking Rock?

HEB is not all that. I live in northern Virginia and Wegman’s makes HEB look like Big 8.

Been 4 years since I was last there. If Eagle Pass can have Poker rooms and tournaments why can’t Speaking Rock?
Speaking rock can have legal poker rooms as long as the house doesn’t rake. At least that’s what they’ve told me in the various Austin poker tables I play at.

El Paso isn't Texan enough for an HEB.
My brother worked for HEB in San Antonio. It has nothing to do with not being Texas enough. Its all about distance and we're too far for them according to HEB Big Wigs. Dallas I'm for another reason.

El Paso is to far away from their warehouse, they could not have the same programs and be profitable. They have stores in Odessa and Midland, thats probably their limit.

Reactions: burnme1
Amphitheater to have big concerts like Albuquerque, an Aquairiam etc...tbose are very realistic thing that El Paso should work on in the next 5 years.

I would like to see El Paso and the Sun Bowl bid on Wrestlemania. I think it would look pretty cool.

My brother worked for HEB in San Antonio. It has nothing to do with not being Texas enough. Its all about distance and we're too far for them according to HEB Big Wigs. Dallas I'm for another reason.
A relative from San Antonio trucked some building materials for a new HEB warehouse being built on the Eastside. Doesn't mean anything other than they're building a warehouse. Also starting to see Safeway products at Albertson's. FWIW.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
For patio music.
The Pershing Inn makes a killing on this. Now during the cold season they put up a tent and put the music inside the tent so they can skirt the rule that way, but the neighbors don't like the loud music.

A relative from San Antonio trucked some building materials for a new HEB warehouse being built on the Eastside. Doesn't mean anything other than they're building a warehouse. Also starting to see Safeway products at Albertson's. FWIW.
Yooo this is a major scoop! Probably just a warehouse like you said, but if true...

Safeway bought Albertsons a year ago.
Work in the grocery business and hear Yes HEB is coming than no they not.
I don’t believe they will, but you can never say never.

Not sure if this was mentioned yet but a Cheesecake factory is supposed to be built at Joe Battle and Pelicano.

Not a big deal, but if true it will do well in EP.

Not sure if this was mentioned yet but a Cheesecake factory is supposed to be built at Joe Battle and Pelicano.

Awesome! I lived in that corner for many years.

They're already in Odessa. They're building a warehouse for Mexican operations on el paso's Eastside. Only a matter of time I hope.

Not true. I have a lot of knowledge into this.

Cheesecake has a finalized lease for Cielo Vista mall. Starbucks and other tenants had to be relocated to make room. Cheesecake just acquired Fox Restaurant concepts and is expanding internationally so the project was put on hold.

I have also been in contact with Great Wolf Lodge and they told us "we wish we were broke ground yesterday". They plan to start in March with a Summer 2021 opening. They will have 10k sf of convention area.

HEB is not entering the market and neither is Trader Joes. TJ put a hault to expanding in Texas and is looking at other markets. HEB has no reason to expand to EP due to truck routes. Also, they are a "developer" in their own so they will not be a part of any one else's project.

Not true. I have a lot of knowledge into this.

Cheesecake has a finalized lease for Cielo Vista mall. Starbucks and other tenants had to be relocated to make room. Cheesecake just acquired Fox Restaurant concepts and is expanding internationally so the project was put on hold.

I have also been in contact with Great Wolf Lodge and they told us "we wish we were broke ground yesterday". They plan to start in March with a Summer 2021 opening. They will have 10k sf of convention area.

HEB is not entering the market and neither is Trader Joes. TJ put a hault to expanding in Texas and is looking at other markets. HEB has no reason to expand to EP due to truck routes. Also, they are a "developer" in their own so they will not be a part of any one else's project.
Thanks for update.

Heb is a b*tch. They have no problem sending their trucks 16 hours south into Mexico but won’t go three hours west from their Odessa store.

Does anyone know the status of the Great Wolf Lodge?
https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/n...great-wolf-el-paso-resort-project/2594937002/

As of January, there was uncertainty if the planned 12,000 sqft convention center would qualify for $40 million of state tax rebates. It sounds like it's not necessarily a deal-breaker, but if the convention center doesn't qualify, then it sounds like it would fall on the city to make up this $40 million. The article says Great Wolf Lodge has until mid-2020 to make a decision one way or another. Reading between the lines in the article, though, it sounds like all parties want the project to go forward, whatever happens with the rebates.

Maybe the rebates issue has been resolved; the article was from January, after all. I didn't find anything more recent. @WestTx12 seems to indicate that the project is going forward with a 10,000 sqft convention center, so maybe he knows something more concrete.

I'll say that 10,000 or 12,000 sqft is really small for a convention center and probably is stretching the intended purpose of those tax rebates. But on the other hand, come on, Texas, give El Paso a break for once.

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/n...great-wolf-el-paso-resort-project/2594937002/

As of January, there was uncertainty if the planned 12,000 sqft convention center would qualify for $40 million of state tax rebates. It sounds like it's not necessarily a deal-breaker, but if the convention center doesn't qualify, then it sounds like it would fall on the city to make up this $40 million. The article says Great Wolf Lodge has until mid-2020 to make a decision one way or another. Reading between the lines in the article, though, it sounds like all parties want the project to go forward, whatever happens with the rebates.

Maybe the rebates issue has been resolved; the article was from January, after all. I didn't find anything more recent. @WestTx12 seems to indicate that the project is going forward with a 10,000 sqft convention center, so maybe he knows something more concrete.

I'll say that 10,000 or 12,000 sqft is really small for a convention center and probably is stretching the intended purpose of those tax rebates. But on the other hand, come on, Texas, give El Paso a break for once.

They got all the incentives and approvals needed from the State for a 10k sf convention area.

Jesus man, that was a lot of disappointment in one post!

Screw H-E-B then, bring a Buc-ees to the EP region!

Reactions: WestTx12
I think the problem El Paso is facing in attracting an HEB or Trader Joe’s is the control over the local market that Walmart has. There are four Walmart stores on the west side within an 8 mile radius. I was hoping we would get a Costco on the west side, but Sam’s Club has control over the El Paso market. Having lived in San Antonio, I know HEB is very involved with the community and takes great care of both their customers and employees.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT