ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Next Big Thing for El Paso?

What will be El Paso's next big thing to come?

• State of the Art Aquarium

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Great Wolf Lodge / Other form of new waterpark

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • New Amusement Park

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • New Pro Team (pending Arena resolve)

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • IKEA / Other Large Retailer

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Other (fill in blank)

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters
Cheesecake Factory is overrated.
I've only been there twice. I had Jumbalaya the first time and then the Cuban sandwich and carrot cake the second time. It was really good. The menu is way too big in my opinion, but the point is it should do really well in El Paso. I agree it's not a big deal though.

Oh? Define "overrated" by your standards, please. Cheesecake Factory has an enormous menu and they execute expertly in all offerings. What's "overrated" about that?

Ten Thousand menu items that are all very average. They try to do so many things that they dont do anything superb in my opinion. I've been there a few times and I've never had a memorable experience. It's as good as an Applebees in my opinion.

Reactions: minermx07
Ten Thousand menu items that are all very average. They try to do so many things that they dont do anything superb in my opinion. I've been there a few times and I've never had a memorable experience. It's as good as an Applebees in my opinion.

YOUR opinion. I happen to think they excel in everything they do. I don't work for them. I don't own stock in them. I just think they excel. That's MY opinion.

With our respective opinions about Cheesecake Factory now stated, we will still overpay for coffee at Starbucks. Which, actually, I won't because I hate their coffee and don't go there...

I think the problem El Paso is facing in attracting an HEB or Trader Joe’s is the control over the local market that Walmart has. There are four Walmart stores on the west side within an 8 mile radius. I was hoping we would get a Costco on the west side, but Sam’s Club has control over the El Paso market. Having lived in San Antonio, I know HEB is very involved with the community and takes great care of both their customers and employees.

The "problem" is that we are one of Walmarts best markets nationwide. Every superstore does over $100M per year and a few doing close to $150M. Walmart wants a supercenter every 5 miles and a neighborhood market every 3 miles in ELP. Hypothetically, If we dont want to be a Walmart market then people need to stop shopping at Walmart but that will never happen so just embrace it.

Serious question. What's the big deal about HEB? I've never been to one.
It’s a grocery store. The meat and fruit selection is much wider than Walmart. I would compare HEB’s fruit section to the old Pros Ranch they had at Yarbrough and I10. But much cleaner. The floral section is cool. I’ve bought a lot of fancy looking bouquets from HEB.

I’m personally fed up with Walmart and refuse to shop there. Heb groceries is a major step up from Walmart.

It’s a grocery store. The meat and fruit selection is much wider than Walmart. I would compare HEB’s fruit section to the old Pros Ranch they had at Yarbrough and I10. But much cleaner. The floral section is cool. I’ve bought a lot of fancy looking bouquets from HEB.

I’m personally fed up with Walmart and refuse to shop there. Heb groceries is a major step up from Walmart.
Is Walmart the best comparison? Wouldn't a more appropriate comparison be Whole Foods or even Albertson's?

Is Walmart the best comparison? Wouldn't a more appropriate comparison be Whole Foods or even Albertson's?

Central Market is HEB's upscale line of stores comparable to Whole Foods. HEB in itself is at the Albertson's level.

I love HEB and wish we had them instead of Central Market up her in the Dallas area. Great product at incredible prices. And their service is unmatched. They know how to grocery.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I compared it to Walmart because according to WestTx12 the El Paso market loves shopping at Walmart. HEB knows this and isn’t in a hurry to compete against Walmart in the El Paso market.

I compared it to Walmart because according to WestTx12 the El Paso market loves shopping at Walmart. HEB knows this and isn’t in a hurry to compete against Walmart in the El Paso market.

There are 20 Walmart's (super and neighborhoods) in El Paso.

7 (about to be 8) Albertson's in El Paso.

1 Whole Foods

You're telling me that I am generalizing El Paso?

Also, from conversations with Walmart, as mentioned earlier, we are one of their top markets in the country for sales.

You have to accept the reality that El Paso is not a market that would be successful for Central Market, multiple Whole Foods, etc.

This is the world I work in and I am constantly talking to new and nice concepts for El Paso.

Great Wolf is excited because they are about to do a big Mexico expansion and we are the "test market" for this.

Reactions: FarWestTexas

1 Whole Foods

Also, from conversations with Walmart, as mentioned earlier, we are one of their top markets in the country for sales.

You have to accept the reality that El Paso is not a market that would be successful for Central Market, multiple Whole Foods, etc.

This is the world I work in and I am constantly talking to new and nice concepts for El Paso.

Great Wolf is excited because they are about to do a big Mexico expansion and we are the "test market" for this.
I was explaining to Wildcat why I compared HEB to Walmart instead of a grocery store like Albertsons or Big8.

I’ve known how popular Walmart is in El Paso and you confirmed it. During the Walmart shooting there were more people at the El Paso Walmart than most Walmart’s around the country get for Black Friday.

1 Whole Foods

Where is the 8th Albertsons going to be at and when is it supposed to open?

Selection, price, freshness, accommodating, etc.

HEB is the shiz. There’s a reason why most other chains fold in mid-size south/central Texas towns.

I won’t go anywhere else provided I have a choice.

I don’t know anything about grocery store supply chains but if El Paso has a problem with produce quality isn’t that because of local farmers/suppliers?

I don’t know anything about grocery store supply chains but if El Paso has a problem with produce quality isn’t that because of local farmers/suppliers?

Not sure. I can’t speak on that not having lived in El Paso for almost the last 3 decades. What I can say to that is, HEB has far better, fresher, and a wider selection of produce than its competitors here in South Texas. It’s on par with, or even exceeds, Whole Foods, which obviously is more of a specialty/health food store.

I would imagine HEB’s competitors have the same access to local farmers and suppliers. So around here, it certainly isn’t a farmer/supplier problem.

I was just answering the question of what makes HEB so good.

Reactions: JCorona
The nicer stores don’t get their produce locally, except chili and maybe onions.
H-E-B has a greater variety than all all local stores and a hell have a lot better pricing.
Walmart, Albertsons and every other store in this city are overcharging the public, cause Walmart sets the price. The others are happy to grab the the higher gross profit, and not worry to much about the volume,
If H-E-B came here it would great for the consumer, but terrible for my company. That said I don’t believe they are showing any interest in coming to El Paso. Our buying habits won’t support their stores.

Reactions: WestTx12
To me it seems Albertsons is doing bad but in El Paso they are doing good. Looks like only competition Albertsons has in El Paso is Walmart, 1 Costco and a Whole Foods.

To me it seems Albertsons is doing bad but in El Paso they are doing good. Looks like only competition Albertsons has in El Paso is Walmart, 1 Costco and a Whole Foods.
Albertsons has better specials than Walmart and their produce and meats are of higher quality. I don’t understand why El Pasoan’s have a fascination with Walmart. As long as Walmart controls the local market we will never see an HEB or Trader Joe’s.

Reactions: mikesarabia
The biggest problem we have of getting more grocery stores is the distance from their warehouses. The major players are no longer afraid of WalMart, but aren’t going to truck groceries more than 500 miles from their warehouse.

Reactions: minermx07
I was in Phoenix last week and was very impressed with how clean and neat they keep their freeways and roads. Their medians and roads are well maintained and manicured with dessert plants and trees. They use neutral color schemes along their freeways that go well in a dessert environment. There was no trash or graffiti on any of their roads and freeways. I wish El Paso officials would do the same thing. It’s very embarrassing to drive around town and look at medians that have been neglected and filled with trash. I like the landscaping project they did on Redd Rd. I just hope they maintain it and spread it to other areas around the city.

Reactions: axingfools1
I was in Phoenix last week and was very impressed with how clean and neat they keep their freeways and roads. Their medians and roads are well maintained and manicured with dessert plants and trees. They use neutral color schemes along their freeways that go well in a dessert environment. There was no trash or graffiti on any of their roads and freeways. I wish El Paso officials would do the same thing. It’s very embarrassing to drive around town and look at medians that have been neglected and filled with trash. I like the landscaping project they did on Redd Rd. I just hope they maintain it and spread it to other areas around the city.

Phoenix huh? Maybe try looking at the disparity in wages between them and us. Does Phoenix have a bunch of ChMex plates driving around their city? Does Phoenix’s downtown look like ours?

Oh trust me, they are. The nature of my job has me all over El Paso and they are doing median beautification, freeway beautification etc. The bad part now is the traffic caused because they close lanes.

Phoenix huh? Maybe try looking at the disparity in wages between them and us. Does Phoenix have a bunch of ChMex plates driving around their city? Does Phoenix’s downtown look like ours?
El Paso receives federal and state funding to maintain freeways and roads. Instead of spending money on ”lighted egg beater” structures they should have used this money to beautify and maintain our freeways. I don’t know about you, but I think the color scheme they used along the spaghetti bowl is horrible. The city has invested tax payers’ money on median beatification projects along Mesa Street, only to see them get neglected. It’s more cost effective to maintain medians rather than redo the entire landscaping ten years later. I call this poor management.

Okay, but trying to think that El Paso can be like one of the top cities in the US and the top in Arizona isn’t realistic. El Paso isn’t even a top 5 city in its own state. El Paso is garbage compared to Phoenix

Okay, but trying to think that El Paso can be like one of the top cities in the US and the top in Arizona isn’t realistic. El Paso isn’t even a top 5 city in its own state. El Paso is garbage compared to Phoenix
It's all about making it a priority and dedicating money to it. Unfortunately, cleaning and manicuring don't seem to be a big priority in EP.

It's all about making it a priority and dedicating money to it. Unfortunately, cleaning and manicuring don't seem to be a big priority in EP.

How about we start by setting the example and clean around our houses and teach our kids to deposit trash in the right container. We also need to recycle.

Lets get back on track. We need an Albertsons on Eastlake by Horizon City.

Haha Arizona streets are horrible. Construction everywhere but nothing gets fixed in Phoenix. I live in Phoenix and its bad over here. Tuscon is worst i have ever seen .Pot holes everywhere you lucky if you drive through there and you dont blow a tire.

Rot, drive the I10 corridor thru the city. The freeways look much much nicer.

Montana is getting a bypass (lack of a better term) so you don't hit all the red lights. Construction is under way.

Northeast Transmountain and 10 and just south is going all trendy. Trails, parks, eateries, retail, condo. Jersey Mike's is one new chain moving in.

Redd road medians are a getting an extensive make over. Traffic drives me nuts.

Horizon City main roads are getting a massive redo. This will take some more time but much much needed. HC is no longer that small city too far to drive to for some. It is connected via the loop thru Paseo Del Este, Eastlake and Rojas Dr..

North Loop is much better now as it was expanded to multiple lanes. Outside Socorro it's back to two lanes but I have no clue if it will get expanded?

East side now hits Red Sands and will continue to grow. City does need to finish Pebble Hills extension.

Sun Metro created really sharp and ticket purchasing booth BRIO bus stops for their better looking articulated buses. I think they look snazzy.

The egg beaters on Airways are interesting but EPIA is undergoing massive renovations or their grounds and those renovations are continued down to I 10rno

Reactions: jdubb66
Selection, price, freshness, accommodating, etc.

HEB is the shiz. There’s a reason why most other chains fold in mid-size south/central Texas towns.

I won’t go anywhere else provided I have a choice.

That’s interesting... to me it’s just another grocery store... wasn’t super impressed with anything

How about we start by setting the example and clean around our houses and teach our kids to deposit trash in the right container. We also need to recycle.

Lets get back on track. We need an Albertsons on Eastlake by Horizon City.
Cleaning the city IS on track my friend, and some of us wouldn't care about it if we didn't already do what you recommend.

Getting a grocery store is not the next big thing, it's just part of normal expansion. Hope you get it soon though.

Haha Arizona streets are horrible. Construction everywhere but nothing gets fixed in Phoenix. I live in Phoenix and its bad over here. Tuscon is worst i have ever seen .Pot holes everywhere you lucky if you drive through there and you dont blow a tire.
Tucson freeway trash is much worse than El Paso. At least we keep the right-of-ways clear of brush. Also, isn't the State in charge of keeping the freeways clean? It's not the City.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT