ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Next Big Thing for El Paso?

What will be El Paso's next big thing to come?

• State of the Art Aquarium

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Great Wolf Lodge / Other form of new waterpark

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • New Amusement Park

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • New Pro Team (pending Arena resolve)

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • IKEA / Other Large Retailer

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • Other (fill in blank)

Votes: 5 11.1%

• Total voters
El Paso should build another University.

Texas A&M El Paso and maybe they can join the Mountain West?

Build a drug cartel museum downtown.

Before you laugh and knock it. Vegas has Mob museum.
That's certainly an interesting idea.

There are lots of movies about the Mob, some winning the Academy Award for best picture, so there's a romantic element to it. Bugsy Siegel was a huge part of building up the Strip and especially the Flamingo, where they still have a memorial to him.

For the drug cartels, we have movies like Sicario, which I don't think have the same tone as those Mob movies. There's nothing romantic about depictions of the drug cartels in the movies. Also, the drug cartels didn't build the Flamingo.

To me, they're all terrible people and I wouldn't want to celebrate any of them.

El Paso does have the Border Patrol Museum and that might be a good place for a section on the drug cartels.

What is our highest restaurant?

I know the WestStar Bank Building has restaurants on the ground floor but nothing on the top floor. The Lancers Club on the WestSide was around the 12th floor closed and never opened again. I don't think the Wells Fargo Building has anything.

Not that this would bring in tourist......I'm just curious for like a date night with the wife.

What is our highest restaurant?

I know the WestStar Bank Building has restaurants on the ground floor but nothing on the top floor. The Lancers Club on the WestSide was around the 12th floor closed and never opened again. I don't think the Wells Fargo Building has anything.

Not that this would bring in tourist......I'm just curious for like a date night with the wife.
The Lancers Club was the first thing to come to mind. Shows how long I've been gone that I didn't realize it had closed.

El Paso just doesn't have many tall buildings outside of downtown and the restaurants downtown all seem to be on the ground.

I guess the Captain's Club (or the Sky Lounge or whatever they're calling it now) at the Sun Bowl would have to be the highest. Treat the wife to the UTSA game at the Captain's Club.

Last edited:
That's certainly an interesting idea.

There are lots of movies about the Mob, some winning the Academy Award for best picture, so there's a romantic element to it. Bugsy Siegel was a huge part of building up the Strip and especially the Flamingo, where they still have a memorial to him.

For the drug cartels, we have movies like Sicario, which I don't think have the same tone as those Mob movies. There's nothing romantic about depictions of the drug cartels in the movies. Also, the drug cartels didn't build the Flamingo.

To me, they're all terrible people and I wouldn't want to celebrate any of them.

El Paso does have the Border Patrol Museum and that might be a good place for a section on the drug cartels.

there is nothing great about the mob they did horrible stuff. But people are still interested in it. Maybe not a Cartel museum . It could be an FBI/Cartel Museum?? I think in Germany they have a Hitler and Nazi Museums.

Why not bring back Magic Landing and Shadow mountain lake??
Because they already failed once. Do they sound like good investment opportunities to you?

I would love to see another amusement park to knock Western Playland out of their complacency. I do firmly believe El Paso can do better than Western Playland (or that Western Playland can do better), but there is no competition, so they have no incentive to innovate or improve.

But I DON'T think El Paso really has the demand to support two amusement parks in the long run, so one of the two would probably be doomed to fail, just like happened last time. Magic Landing did have some bad luck with accidents, which made their insurance rates skyrocket and made them close their roller coaster, so a case could be made that they were forced to compete with the deck stacked against them and had no chance. (Who wants to go to an amusement park with their main attraction always shut down?) So a case could be made that Magic Landing would have a better chance the next time around.

Because they already failed once. Do they sound like good investment opportunities to you?

I would love to see another amusement park to knock Western Playland out of their complacency. I do firmly believe El Paso can do better than Western Playland (or that Western Playland can do better), but there is no competition, so they have no incentive to innovate or improve.

But I DON'T think El Paso really has the demand to support two amusement parks in the long run, so one of the two would probably be doomed to fail, just like happened last time. Magic Landing did have some bad luck with accidents, which made their insurance rates skyrocket and made them close their roller coaster, so a case could be made that they were forced to compete with the deck stacked against them and had no chance. (Who wants to go to an amusement park with their main attraction always shut down?) So a case could be made that Magic Landing would have a better chance the next time around.
El Paso could support another “amusement park”, but it would have to be something mostly indoors. Western Playland is unbearable at some points in the summer. Very little shade.

It would force WP to step their game up, which would be good. They could put this hypothetical place in Far East El Paso. Plenty of residents and space to do so.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Another brilliant idea Fili! The lake is drier than a prostitute’s vagina when they see you walk in.
Everything else is getting a reboot. Like Top Gun 2. Why not reboot some of El Pasos past??

I hear that the old buildings are still there from Magic Landing. Maybe they can build something else using those buildings?? I heard that's where six flags wanted to build but was denied.

The lake was man made, so just make it again. What's so hard about that??

• Haha
Reactions: Cube Jack

El Paso has grown so yes I think I would be a great investment. Western Playland is not an a amusement park, it's more of a small carnival. I dont remember Magic Landing. How many rides did it have?? Was it better than Western Playland?? Did it have shows?

• Haha
Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Everything else is getting a reboot. Like Top Gun 2. Why not reboot some of El Pasos past??

I hear that the old buildings are still there from Magic Landing. Maybe they can build something else using those buildings?? I heard that's where six flags wanted to build but was denied.

The lake was man made, so just make it again. What's so hard about that??
Are you ****ing kidding me? So you know nothing about Magic Landing, but suggest that someone restore it? That’s why you’re a joke. Did you even graduate from high school?

Those buildings have been torn down for 10 years and even then, they had already been abandoned for at least 20 years before that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT