ADVERTISEMENT

OT: powerful Texas Monthly piece on El Paso PTSD tragedy

Just a quick question... Why is this posted here ?!? Thought this was a Utep Athletics site

It’s El Paso related. Most people that care about UTEP also care about El Paso.

Thanks for the link. Definitely a great read and well worth the time.

Reactions: unihorn
Not Judging, just thought posts in here were sports/Utep Athletics related. That article (yes it was a good read) is something i'd see posted on say Facebook. When every topic relates to what's happening with Utep Athletics, the post we speak of just seems out of place. And yes it is sad what happens to our service members. Thank you for your service Haskins Fan.

We’ve got to do better for these guys.

Therapy is expensive, but it’s much better than kicking them out of the military, just giving them drugs, or doing nothing.

Being a veteran it's sad to see so many serviceman and woman go down due to the lack of treatment
and understanding. If you haven't been there please don't judge. I lost a few close friends.

Thank you for your service, Haskins Fan. No doubt, more understanding and an expedited process to get the necessary treatment is needed. Good to hear that Beto is doing his part to get it moving in that direction.

I agree that a lot of our service men and women have PTSD due to serving in combat. But how in the hell do you have PTSD if you never served overseas. Alot of them take advantage BC of the benefits and that's wrong if you have never gone overseas

I remember attending a religious meeting a few short years ago. The Fort Bliss Chaplain was in attendance. He begged for prayers and support because he and his office were overwhelmed from the soldiers in desperate need coming back from Afghanistan and Iraq.

Not Judging, just thought posts in here were sports/Utep Athletics related. That article (yes it was a good read) is something i'd see posted on say Facebook. When every topic relates to what's happening with Utep Athletics, the post we speak of just seems out of place. And yes it is sad what happens to our service members. Thank you for your service Haskins Fan.

I didn't say you was judging. I know some people will or thought about it.
I do understand your point of this being a sports message board but sometimes we
see things that touch us and would like to share.

Go Miners....

I agree that a lot of our service men and women have PTSD due to serving in combat. But how in the hell do you have PTSD if you never served overseas. Alot of them take advantage BC of the benefits and that's wrong if you have never gone overseas

Yes, this happens a lot. I know a couple of guys to schooled their kids on the military. They told
them what to say and do while in the military so they can come out with all the benefits. That is
wrong and we can tell when they are faking it. Then again there are some Vietnam veterans who
can't get a dime because back then it wasn't recorded and thousands of medical records were
burned so they can't prove what they wen through, very sad.

Yes, this happens a lot. I know a couple of guys to schooled their kids on the military. They told
them what to say and do while in the military so they can come out with all the benefits. That is
wrong and we can tell when they are faking it. Then again there are some Vietnam veterans who
can't get a dime because back then it wasn't recorded and thousands of medical records were
burned so they can't prove what they wen through, very sad.

The docs can smell BS most of the time.

Reactions: axingfools1
The docs can smell BS most of the time.
A friend of mine who served in Vietnam in special operations and had neck surgery because his neck vertebrae (I hope that's right) was basically cutting into his spinal canal. His doctor said he would have been paralyzed within 6 months if they had not caught it. They caught just on mere happenstance. His doctor said it was caused from agent orange.

A friend of mine who served in Vietnam in special operations and had neck surgery because his neck vertebrae (I hope that's right) was basically cutting into his spinal canal. His doctor said he would have been paralyzed within 6 months if they had not caught it. They caught just on mere happenstance. His doctor said it was caused from agent orange.
I'm not sure that makes any sense, but interesting.

A lot of veterans matriculate at UTEP - I appreciated attending classes and being part of student government with the vets that came back from Viet Nam. Gave me a great perspective on life and people from different parts of the country living in El Paso. Veterans and their families need to be protected by the government they swore to protect.

I didn't say you was judging. I know some people will or thought about it.
I do understand your point of this being a sports message board but sometimes we
see things that touch us and would like to share.

Go Miners....
Gotcha Haskins Fan. Thanks for clarification. And NOW I understand the "OT" before the post. And yes, GO MINERS !!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT