ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Western Hall

Agreed. UTEP living in the past.

I never hear NMSU refer to themselves as New Mexico College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts or Las Cruces College.
Remind me what the New Mexico College of Agricultural and Mechanical Arts did again.

But, yeah, you're right. We should just forget about it. Worst thing that ever happened to the university.

Remind me what the New Mexico College of Agricultural and Mechanical Arts did again.

But, yeah, you're right. We should just forget about it. Worst thing that ever happened to the university.

No clue about that, but all I'm saying is UTEP needs to start living in the present.

Last edited:
Reactions: T-6 Miner
You clearly don't get our points, but it's ok.
Oh no. I think I get it now. The only problem with the administration and the athletics department is that they name buildings on campus after past occurrences when they should only honestly reflect the current situation they find themselves in.

So, that building where the basketball team plays ..."Don Haskins" seems pretty past-y to me. He hasn't won a game in 25 years. Let's call it the Yeah We Keep Pouring More Resources Than Our Conference Mates Into The Program But Can't Get Any Results From It But Hey I Still Have A Job So Meh Center. National championships here we come!! But I guess national championships that we can discuss for only 5 minutes afterwards, because then it becomes the past and we'd therefore be living in it and it would be holding the program back.

Oh no. I think I get it now. The only problem with the administration and the athletics department is that they name buildings on campus after past occurrences when they should only honestly reflect the current situation they find themselves in.

So, that building where the basketball team plays ..."Don Haskins" seems pretty past-y to me. He hasn't won a game in 25 years. Let's call it the Yeah We Keep Pouring More Resources Than Our Conference Mates Into The Program But Can't Get Any Results From It But Hey I Still Have A Job So Meh Center. National championships here we come!! But I guess national championships that we can discuss for only 5 minutes afterwards, because then it becomes the past and we'd therefore be living in it and it would be holding the program back.
I agree. Let's live in the future. I believe the clothing of choice in the future will be a fleece lined onesie. Going to Amazon right now to order mine. Hope they have a 3x.
Mc Hammer Onesie GIF by Chicago Dance Crash

No clue about that, but all I'm saying is UTEP needs to start living in the present.
I was at a restaurant eating today and this thread popped into my mind. At the restaurant, they were showing a replay of the Ohio St vs Penn State football game. During a game break, Ohio State was honoring a championship team from the 60s. Despite their current success, they still embrace something great that they did all those years ago. I will always celebrate that 1966 championship team. It was historic and should always be recognized as such.

I was at a restaurant eating today and this thread popped into my mind. At the restaurant, they were showing a replay of the Ohio St vs Penn State football game. During a game break, Ohio State was honoring a championship team from the 60s. Despite their current success, they still embrace something great that they did all those years ago. I will always celebrate that 1966 championship team. It was historic and should always be recognized as such.

You're missing our point. All UTEP can bring up is the 1966 team. They say it at every UTEP game. It's fine recognizing the team every year on the anniversary of the game, but more more than that is too much.

Reactions: homeskillet75
You're missing our point. All UTEP can bring up is the 1966 team. They say it at every UTEP game. It's fine recognizing the team every year on the anniversary of the game, but more more than that is too much.
I do see your point, I just respectfully don't agree with it. I want success as much as anyone but I still don't see anything wrong with it. UTEP gives us all enough complain about with their failures. I'm not going to complain about celebrating one of the few times we have succeeded in a team sport.

I do see your point, I just respectfully don't agree with it. I want success as much as anyone but I still don't see anything wrong with it. UTEP gives us all enough complain about with their failures. I'm not going to complain about celebrating one of the few times we have succeeded in a team sport.

Fair enough! I just think it's too much to bring up something that happened 57 years ago at every basketball game.

Reactions: picks up
Wait so is this an athletic building? It’s not, then how does it relate to 1966? But yeah I agree with STX Miner. Instead of naming buildings after our history we should name them after events and people that are still in the future. We might get some of the names and events wrong but by all means we will finally move on from the past.

TEXAS WESTERN HALL is being built to replace the Liberal Arts Building, it's being demolished so that TEXAS WESTERN HALL is built in it's space. The Liberal Arts Building was built ca. 1960 when UTEP *was* Texas Western College (of the University of Texas System). I took quite a few classes in that dinosaur of a structure, anyone else? The building has used up its shelf life - congratulations future students/student athletes getting a state of the art building to build their future!

TEXAS WESTERN HALL is being built to replace the Liberal Arts Building, it's being demolished so that TEXAS WESTERN HALL is built in it's space. The Liberal Arts Building was built ca. 1960 when UTEP *was* Texas Western College (of the University of Texas System). I took quite a few classes in that dinosaur of a structure, anyone else? The building has used up its shelf life - congratulations future students/student athletes getting a state of the art building to build their future!
I had several classes in that old liberal arts building.

There was an incident there, I guess in the early 90s, where one of the janitors locked an amorous same sex couple in one of the bathrooms after he caught them in the act. I guess the campus cops were called in. Not sure what the outcome was.

Wait so is this an athletic building? It’s not, then how does it relate to 1966? But yeah I agree with STX Miner. Instead of naming buildings after our history we should name them after events and people that are still in the future. We might get some of the names and events wrong but by all means we will finally move on from the past.
The Mia Khalifa School of Liberal Arts incoming.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT