ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Up to 3 dozen top tier basketball programs in FBI probe

I love this:
"Federal documents allege that Augustine, who ran the 1-Family AAU program in Florida, accepted money from an undercover FBI agent and was involved in a plan to funnel $150,000 to an unnamed recruit. According to the ESPN report, the charges were dismissed because evidence showed Augustine never gave the money to the high school player in question, and instead kept the money for himself."

So the FBI gave this guy $150,000 of taxpayer money (I mean, I assume we the taxpayers paid for it, since it was the FBI giving it), and since the guy kept this $150,000 of taxpayer money instead of funneling it to the player, he won't be charged with a crime. And I assume he gets to keep the money. WTF

So the FBI gave this guy $150,000 of taxpayer money (I mean, I assume we the taxpayers paid for it, since it was the FBI giving it), and since the guy kept this $150,000 of taxpayer money instead of funneling it to the player, he won't be charged with a crime. And I assume he gets to keep the money. WTF

Regarding the source, funds for undercover/sting operations are usually derived via confiscated money and assets recovered from previous criminal investigations (e.g. narcotics busts) , not "taxpayer money". You don't seriously think we'd take millions of taxpayer dollars targeted for a grand presidential military parade and use it to expose chronically dirty collegiate basketball programs, AAU reps, and agents, do you?

Regarding the source, funds for undercover/sting operations are usually derived via confiscated money and assets recovered from previous criminal investigations (e.g. narcotics busts) , not "taxpayer money". You don't seriously think we'd take millions of taxpayer dollars targeted for a grand presidential military parade and use it to expose chronically dirty collegiate basketball programs, AAU reps, and agents, do you?
Fair enough. In either case, it appears that this Augustine guy got a pretty good deal out of all this.

Reactions: El Paso 777
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT