ADVERTISEMENT

Past Miners - Careers of the UTEP players who left under Floyd.

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
There were a number of UTEP basketball players who left under Tim Floyd’s program. Since we are at the conclusion of another season and approaching the end of a lot these guys college careers, I tried to do some research to see what happened to some of these guys. Here is a summary:

- Andre Speight. Went from UTEP to Junior College, then to Arizona State. He then went to Northern Colorado and finished his Senior season this year leading the team in scoring(21 points per game).

- Josh Mcswiggins. Went from UTEP to Junior College, then to Portland. As a Sophomore this season, he averaged 10.9 points and 3 rebounds per game.

- Marqwell Jackson. Went from UTEP to Duquesne(where he averaged 3 points per game), then to Junior College(where he averaged 11 points per game), then to Division 2 Pittsburgh State. It looks like he either quit Pitt State or didn’t play this season per their box scores.

- Lou Stallworth. Went from UTEP to UTRVG. He averaged 5 points and 3 assists per game as a Junior. He is now transferring out of UTRVG for his Senior season.

- Terry Winn. Went from UTEP to UTRVG. He averaged 9.6 points and 6.8 rebounds this year as a Junior.

- Brodericks Jones. Went from UTEP to Wyoming. Averaged 0.7 points and 0.4 rebounds as a Sophomore this year.

- Dustin Watts. Went from UTEP to Southern Idaho, to Skagit Valley College, to Cal State Los Angeles(where he averaged 6 points, 2 rebounds, and 1assist). He then finished at a place called Future College in Carson, California(not sure what level that is).

- Kelvin Jones- Went from UTEP to Odessa Junior College. Averaged 2.9 points and 0.8 rebounds per game as a Soph.

- Deon Barrett - Went from UTEP to UTA and sat out this year.

- Tim Cameron - Went from UTEP to High Point and sat out this year.

- Christian Romine - Went from UTEP to Illinois State. He took a leave of abscence from their team this year and is not listed on any of their 2017/2018 season stats. This was his Sophomore season. Not sure his current status.

- Adrian Moore- Went from UTEP to Butler Junior College where he averaged 6.7 points and 3 rebounds this past year.

- Chris Barnes - Went from UTEP to Angelina Junior College, then he signed with Tulsa.

- Chris Sandifer - Went from UTEP to Chipola Junior College, then he disapeared.

- Anthony January - Went from stating that he signed with UTEP, to Junior College, then he enrolled at NMSU and sat out a year. Then he left NMSU without ever playing a game and disapeared from college basketball.

- Roderick Williams - Went from UTEP back to East LA Junior College, where he averaged 19 points and 6 rebounds per game this year as a Soph.

- Victor Sanders - Floyd offered Sanders and he committed to UTEP. Then after working Sanders out during his official visit, Floyd withdrew the offer(Sanders was coming off of a torn ACL). Sanders ended his Senior season at Idaho this year where he averaged 19 points, 3 rebounds, and 3 assists per game.

- Shaq Carr - Went from UTEP to Junior College, to Grand Canyon, where he averaged 4 points, 2 assists, and 1.7 rebounds as a Senior this past year.

- Isaac Hamltion - Went from UTEP to UCLA, where he played 3 seasons. He went undrafted in the NBA and now plays for the Canton Charge in the G league.

- Lee Moore. Left UTEP early to play overseas. He appears to still be playing in Italy for a team called Germani.

- Vince Hunter - Left UTEP early after his Sophomore season in order to turn pro. He got his first NBA experience earlier this season and is now playing in Greece.

- Roman Silva?

- Cahiem Brown?

- Josh Brown?

- Jacob Thomas?

- Joey St. Pierre?

Bruce Stevens was a recruit that a lot of Miner fans wanted. He signed with Ole Miss and averaged 10 points and 5 rebounds this year as a Junior at Ole Miss.

Thik Bol was a recruit that we brought in for a visit. He signed with Southern Illinois and averaged 9 points and 6 rebounds as a Senior.

Last edited:
how about doing one with Players that did stay and where are they now?

Jackson, Carr and B.Jones were busts

Speight and Sanders were big misses for CTF (as was Jemerio Jones). Also, Johnny McCants wanted to play at UTEP but we already had a prop 48 in Wade.

Arnette Moultrie..SEC 1st team 16.5/10.5 his junior year.

Rashanti Harris..never qualified

Desmond Lee..Played a role on NC State NCAA team

Micheal Haynes..transferred/left and was later killed.

Mike Perez transferred to Nevada.

Darius Nelson quit...Jalen Ragland kicked off the team...Dvon Campbell transferred to Rutgers and then transferred again...Tim Jacobs transferred to UNM.

Twymond Howard transferred to Tennessee Martin 15.5/7

C.Wash transferred to TCU and busted.

McK Moore kicked off team and played pro in Australia.

Dwayne Benjamin never signed with UTEP per CTF.

I’m sure you’re missing a lot of players. But now it’s all water under the bridge. Floyd is gone and let’s see what happens under Terry.
He's just missing a couple first and second year ones. There was a first year Floyd recruit who admitted he was not college ready and basically admitted he had no desire to be in a college classroom but knew he was NBA ready. He also dissapeared.

He's just missing a couple first and second year ones. There was a first year Floyd recruit who admitted he was not college ready and basically admitted he had no desire to be in a college classroom but knew he was NBA ready. He also dissapeared.
Rashanti Harris

Reactions: Lil_Train
Jackson, Carr and B.Jones were busts

Speight and Sanders were big misses for CTF (as was Jemerio Jones). Also, Johnny McCants wanted to play at UTEP but we already had a prop 48 in Wade.

Arnette Moultrie..SEC 1st team 16.5/10.5 his junior year.

Rashanti Harris..never qualified

Desmond Lee..Played a role on NC State NCAA team

Micheal Haynes..transferred/left and was later killed.

Mike Perez transferred to Nevada.

Darius Nelson quit...Jalen Ragland kicked off the team...Dvon Campbell transferred to Rutgers and then transferred again...Tim Jacobs transferred to UNM.

Twymond Howard transferred to Tennessee Martin 15.5/7

C.Wash transferred to TCU and busted.

McK Moore kicked off team and played pro in Australia.

Dwayne Benjamin never signed with UTEP per CTF.
Thanks axingfools1 and UTEPDefense for putting these lists together. Pretty much sums up the Floyd era, and is an indictment of how not to run a successful program. I must say, Floyd's recruiting approach was similar at other places he coached, and he was successful previously; so the tough part is that UTEP ended up being the anomaly. Looking back in hindsight, while Floyd did flat out miss on some guys, the real problem seemed to be in keeping the guys who could actually play. One guy that bugs me moving forward is missing out on a McCants. I think his ceiling is pretty high. Plus, I believe CUSA schools allow for up to two Prop guys per year, so I think we could have had both him and Wade. Not 100% sure on that though.

Last edited:
Nothing is stopping you from doing one.

From the top of my head

Julian Washburn graduated: i dont know what he is doing. He was in the dleague for spurs.

Cedric Lang Graduated : playing in the NFL

CJ Cooper Graduated: on coaching staff

Bohannan Graduated : was in d league idk what he is doing.

Conner Tucker : isnt he coaching somewhere?

Im counting Barbees players all them could have left but they didnt. If im not mistaken randy almost left but stayed. So im counting them.
Julyan Stone : In NBA

Randy Culpeper: overseas

Jeremy Williams : he is playing in Canada i think. Last i saw.

Gabe: i dont know what he is doing

Christian Polk : i dont know what he is doing

Thats i could think of for now. If anyone wants to add some others.

Reactions: JCorona
I would say Moore and Ragland kicked themselves off the team wouldn't you? Let's be honest. Another one is the guard Floyd dismissed for smoking weed in Floyd's 1st year here. Can't recall his name, but liked his game.

There were a number of UTEP basketball players who left under Tim Floyd’s program. Since we are at the conclusion of another season and approaching the end of a lot these guys college careers, I tried to do some research to see what happened to some of these guys. Here is a summary:

- Andre Speight. Went from UTEP to Junior College, then to Arizona State. He then went to Northern Colorado and finished his Senior season this year leading the team in scoring(21 points per game).

- Josh Mcswiggins. Went from UTEP to Junior College, then to Portland. As a Sophomore this season, he averaged 10.9 points and 3 rebounds per game.

- Marqwell Jackson. Went from UTEP to Duquesne(where he averaged 3 points per game), then to Junior College(where he averaged 11 points per game), then to Division 2 Pittsburgh State. It looks like he either quit Pitt State or didn’t play this season per their box scores.

- Lou Stallworth. Went from UTEP to UTRVG. He averaged 5 points and 3 assists per game as a Junior. He is now transferring out of UTRVG for his Senior season.

- Terry Winn. Went from UTEP to UTRVG. He averaged 9.6 points and 6.8 rebounds this year as a Junior.

- Brodericks Jones. Went from UTEP to Wyoming. Averaged 0.7 points and 0.4 rebounds as a Sophomore this year.

- Dustin Watts. Went from UTEP to Southern Idaho, to Skagit Valley College, to Cal State Los Angeles(where he averaged 6 points, 2 rebounds, and 1assist). He then finished at a place called Future College in Carson, California(not sure what level that is).

- Kelvin Jones- Went from UTEP to Odessa Junior College. Averaged 2.9 points and 0.8 rebounds per game as a Soph.

- Deon Barrett - Went from UTEP to UTA and sat out this year.

- Tim Cameron - Went from UTEP to High Point and sat out this year.

- Christian Romine - Went from UTEP to Illinois State. He took a leave of abscence from their team this year and is not listed on any of their 2017/2018 season stats. This was his Sophomore season. Not sure his current status.

- Adrian Moore- Went from UTEP to Butler Junior College where he averaged 6.7 points and 3 rebounds this past year.

- Chris Barnes - Went from UTEP to Angelina Junior College, then he signed with Tulsa.

- Chris Sandifer - Went from UTEP to Chipola Junior College, then he disapeared.

- Anthony January - Went from stating that he signed with UTEP, to Junior College, then he enrolled at NMSU and sat out a year. Then he left NMSU without ever playing a game and disapeared from college basketball.

- Roderick Williams - Went from UTEP back to East LA Junior College, where he averaged 19 points and 6 rebounds per game this year as a Soph.

- Victor Sanders - Floyd offered Sanders and he committed to UTEP. Then after working Sanders out during his official visit, Floyd withdrew the offer(Sanders was coming off of a torn ACL). Sanders ended his Senior season at Idaho this year where he averaged 19 points, 3 rebounds, and 3 assists per game.

- Shaq Carr - Went from UTEP to Junior College, to Grand Canyon, where he averaged 4 points, 2 assists, and 1.7 rebounds as a Senior this past year.

- Isaac Hamltion - Went from UTEP to UCLA, where he played 3 seasons. He went undrafted in the NBA and now plays for the Canton Charge in the G league.

- Lee Moore. Left UTEP early to play overseas. He appears to still be playing in Italy for a team called Germani.

- Vince Hunter - Left UTEP early after his Sophomore season in order to turn pro. He got his first NBA experience earlier this season and is now playing in Greece.

- Roman Silva?

- Cahiem Brown?

- Josh Brown?

- Jacob Thomas?

- Joey St. Pierre?

Bruce Stevens was a recruit that a lot of Miner fans wanted. He signed with Ole Miss and averaged 10 points and 5 rebounds this year as a Junior at Ole Miss.

Thik Bol was a recruit that we brought in for a visit. He signed with Southern Illinois and averaged 9 points and 6 rebounds as a Senior.

Also why would you count players like Isaac Hamilton? He was never on the team . vic Sanders, anthony january and roderick williams were never on the team. Players that should only count are players that was on the official roster.

I would say Moore and Ragland kicked themselves off the team wouldn't you? Let's be honest. Another one is the guard Floyd dismissed for smoking weed in Floyd's 1st year here. Can't recall his name, but liked his game.
Myron Strong...good player out of Memphis, I think.

Also why would you count players like Isaac Hamilton? He was never on the team . vic Sanders, anthony january and roderick williams were never on the team. Players that should only count are players that was on the official roster.

Isaac Hamilton and Roderick Williams both signed binding LOI's with UTEP. Both were officially recognized by UTEP in full press releases issued by the University.
Sanders and January were both verbal commitments to UTEP and the subject of many discussions on this board. As a result, I included them as they all had some connection to our program during this same era that I was reviewing.

Reactions: axingfools1
Floyd had some good recruiting classes on paper, but most of them never showed up. Hopefully Coach Terry can get back to recruiting guys from Texas. A lot of talent to be tapped into. Floyd's staff didn't recruit Texas hard for some reason.

Floyd had some good recruiting classes on paper, but most of them never showed up. Hopefully Coach Terry can get back to recruiting guys from Texas. A lot of talent to be tapped into. Floyd's staff didn't recruit Texas hard for some reason.
He did, but Floyd knew his name carried beyond north of the Red River, which it did. Nothing wrong with that and there is no law saying you have to stay in state. He went after some...I said some...not all, high risk recruits who were CUSA D1 college basketball ready but not college classroom ready or lacked maturity to try and live far from home.

He did, but Floyd knew his name carried beyond north of the Red River, which it did. Nothing wrong with that and there is no law saying you have to stay in state. He went after some...I said some...not all, high risk recruits who were CUSA D1 college basketball ready but not college classroom ready or lacked maturity to try and live far from home.

Who did Floyd recruit from Texas that ended up being a real player? Flaggert? P. Thomas(hopefully he can have a decent Sr. year next year)? Like I said Coach Terry should (and I'm sure he will) recruit Texas a lot better.

Last edited:
Isaac Hamilton and Roderick Williams both signed binding LOI's with UTEP. Both were officially recognized by UTEP in full press releases issued by the University.
Sanders and January were both verbal commitments to UTEP and the subject of many discussions on this board. As a result, I included them as they all had some connection to our program during this same era that I was reviewing.

You also put players Utep was recruiting but they chose to go somewhere else.lol Might else well put every player Utep recruited but they chose to go somewhere else. Dont forget Daniel Hamilton or Cliff Tucker.

Who did Floyd recruit from Texas that ended up being a real player? Flaggert? P. Thomas(hopefully he can have a decent Sr. year next year)? Like I said Coach Terry should (and I'm sure he will) recruit Texas a lot better.

Washburn and Bohannon were his best Texas players. He definitely could have recruited Texas better

I thought the guy was a solid player; he didn't get a ton of minutes at UTEP because of the talent the team had in the backcourt at the time, but he could have played on many other UTEP teams. He did average ten ppg as a true freshman with San Francisco, before transferring over, fwiw.

Myron Strong bashed Coach Floyd on social media after getting kicked off the team for drug policy violation. He transferred to Victory but never played. According to some reference pages he played part of one season for Island Storm in the Canadian NBL and hasn't played anywhere of note since

Washburn and Bohannon were his best Texas players. He definitely could have recruited Texas better

Bohannon was a Barbee recruit. When Washburn didn't qualify out of high school, Bohannon called Washburn and said he should come to El Paso to Prop 48. They had played together and been friends since their AAU days. Floyd didn't recruit ether of those guys.

Reactions: UTEP Grade

You also put players Utep was recruiting but they chose to go somewhere else.lol Might else well put every player Utep recruited but they chose to go somewhere else. Dont forget Daniel Hamilton or Cliff Tucker.

I believe that some reading comprehension is lacking here. Defense's idea was to compile a list of players who left UTEP, whether by their decision or Floyd's. He included players who signed an NLI, even if they never played a game, as these were players that we slated to play here.

Bohannon was a Barbee recruit. When Washburn didn't qualify out of high school, Bohannon called Washburn and said he should come to El Paso to Prop 48. They had played together and been friends since their AAU days. Floyd didn't recruit ether of those guys.
I only listed Bo because he was rerecruited by Floyd. I didn't know Bo recruited Washburn, interesting

Coach Terry should still have a lot of ties with Texas HS and AAU coach from working under Barnes at UT. Interesting to see how next year's recruiting pans out.

Reactions: picks up
Coach Terry should still have a lot of ties with Texas HS and AAU coach from working under Barnes at UT. Interesting to see how next year's recruiting pans out.

That his old man coached HS ball in Texas for 30+ years can’t hurt any, either. I’m sure he made a few connections along the way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT