ADVERTISEMENT

Petty peave

miner1liner

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2014
Watching games today I continue to be annoyed by announcers who say, "Tony Guacamole, The junior" or " Swivel Hips Jones; The sophomore". "The" infers out of the entire class he is the only junior or only sophomore instead of "a". Announcers have historically used the reference. Maybe I'm being too picky or am I?

Reactions: Cube Jack
Blame the 80's. There were many legendary college rb's but sports media started referring to Barry Sanders as "ol swivel hips" backs since his Okie State days and really caught on while at Detroit. And the one, the only "Primetime" Deion Sanders from Florida State from the late 80's as well.

Watching games today I continue to be annoyed by announcers who say, "Tony Guacamole, The junior" or " Swivel Hips Jones; The sophomore". "The" infers out of the entire class he is the only junior or only sophomore instead of "a". Announcers have historically used the reference. Maybe I'm being too picky or am I?

tenor.gif

There is only one “Swivel Hips”... and it’s Smith. That great All-American star triple-threat scat-back.

I've always hated the stupid generic questions the reporters ask that have pre-determined answers or the wallpaper fluff stories about a team's preparation . "We'll be ready for them".... no! Do you expect the player or coach to say, "We're not prepared! We can't do it! Please postpone the game!"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT