ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Johnson

axingfools1

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 6, 2011
I havn't seen any mention of Johnson going on the court to confront a UAB freshman guard yesterday. This was confusing, embarrassing, inapproriate and detrimental to the team due to another technical foul. Even the play by play guys were disgusted.

This issue with Frazier is just stupid. Integrate the poor kid or let him go. What are we trying to prove? Osborne has been playing well but had a bad night. Putting in Frazier with a few minutes left will not help anybody. If anything its going to cause him to force even more shots with no opportunity to create any rhythm. Put the kid in earlier and coach him up.

I'm sorry but why is Flaggert still playing? Tighten the freakin line up and adjust!

If I'm Johnson I start playing McGee, Gilyard and Wade more minutes. Go 4 guards and 1 big with Willms or Thomas in the middle. When Willms is in the game, then press on defense and run. We need to attack the rim more and limit the forced 3 point shots.

We have to start scoring more since we can't defend after the 1st ten minutes of the game. If we do start defending we will win.

Sorry for the rant but something is just off with this team. Its been off all year. Too much overcoaching and not enough fun. Maybe Johnson should step back and let Braswell run the team. What do we have to lose?

I would say it’s a hard job when you know it’s going to end soon. And the players are in a position where they know the guy they’re playing for is leaving. They don’t know what changes the new guy will make. It’s human nature, If your boss gave his 2 weeks notice, many employees will be scared, happy, confused, uncertain, etc...

I would say it’s a hard job when you know it’s going to end soon. And the players are in a position where they know the guy they’re playing for is leaving. They don’t know what changes the new guy will make. It’s human nature, If your boss gave his 2 weeks notice, many employees will be scared, happy, confused, uncertain, etc...
What I didn't mention in my earlier rant was with the tight event schedule starting with the end of a disastrous season followed by the new coach search coinciding with getting new recruits and trying to keep the desired returnees; it could be a genuine mess for the new staff, whoever they might be. At this point I would hope to keep Magee, Gilyard, Wade, Osborne and Smith as I feel they all have the right stuff. Gonna need huge help with some talented inside guys with not much time to get them.
End of rant.

Like Floyd, Johnson has a long history of hot headed incidents. Several of which happened when he coached SJSU. Speaking of which, I always thought his team's there were well coached, and played tough defense. It surprises me a bit that this team hasn't displayed much of those characteristics. Floyd really left the entire group in a terrible spot. With regard to the rotations, like others have mentioned, I always cringe when I see Flaggert and Touchet in at the same time. You can almost see the opposing players eyes light up with the opportunity to take them off the dribble. Our 10 minutes of good defense usually starts to go down hill right at that point. That is usually about the same time Thomas gets his third foul, and Willms turns an ankle. The team hasn't figured out that it is really true "that only defense travels", and the effort on that side of the ball has to be sustained in order to win at this level.

God bless Touchet and Flaggert, then and Wilms are the only guys that have seen it through. But with that being said they bring a whole lot of nothing to the table.

What is the record for most double technicals/ejections in a single season? I believe Coach Johnson has three this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT