ADVERTISEMENT

Poor Texas

The loss makes it more difficult for UT to decide whether or not to give Rodney the job.

Terry got out-coached. Miami made adjustments in the 2nd half, Terry didn't. Texas will not hire Terry permanently at a higher rate than his current salary. Texas has the checkbook to go get anyone they want IF they want to invest in basketball. Otherwise, their return on investment on Terry worked out amazingly and they will take it as it is for another year or two.

I had no clue the Miami coach was the George Mason coach that took them to the Final Four.

Here’s the thing, love or hate him he can flat out recruit. He will bring good talent to Texas and has kept their top recruit committed after Beard departure.

Here’s the thing, love or hate him he can flat out recruit. He will bring good talent to Texas and has kept their top recruit committed after Beard departure.
No doubt he can recruit, and I'm sure NIL deals are a plenty at Texas. However, he can't coach said talent.

I think Golding is an above average coach and medicore recruiter. He’s gonna need to get his sh*% together on the recruiting side of things.

He’s not off to a great start:

(from Orangebloods)

So far, Texas has lost:
SirJabari Rice (grad)
Marcus Carr (grad)
Timmy Allen (grad)
Arterio Morris (transfer)
Rowan Brumbaugh (transfer)
Tyrese Hunter (pro; could return)
Dylan Disu (could return)
Christian Bishop (grad)

Texas transfer targets:

G Reese Dixon-Waters
USC –> San Diego State

G LJ Cryer
Baylor –> Houston

C Kel'el Ware
Oregon –> Indiana

G Tylor Perry
UNT –> undecided (Texas out of top 12)

G Caleb Love
N. Carolina –> Michigan

G Ryan Nembhard
Creighton –> Projected: Arizona

G TJ Bamba
Washington State –> Villanova or Georgia Tech

Quincy Olivari
Rice –> Undecided (considering Texas)

Kadin Shedrick
UVA –> considering Texas

Max Abmas
ORU –> Undecided (considering Texas)

I'm not saying it's panic time yet, but a lot of good players have gone on and off the board while Texas lacks a single commit from the portal. With all of the players officially leaving the 40, as well as some that declared pro but saved college eligibility, it's surprising and a bit alarming that they have yet to get a singular answer on how to try to replicate this last season.

(from Orangebloods)

So far, Texas has lost:
SirJabari Rice (grad)
Marcus Carr (grad)
Timmy Allen (grad)
Christian Bishop (grad)

Texas transfer targets:

G Reese Dixon-Waters
USC –> San Diego State

G LJ Cryer
Baylor –> Houston

C Kel'el Ware
Oregon –> Indiana

G Tylor Perry

G Caleb Love
N. Carolina –> Michigan

G Ryan Nembhard

G TJ Bamba

Quincy Olivari

Kadin Shedrick
UVA –> considering Texas

Max Abmas

I'm not saying it's panic time yet, but a lot of good players have gone on and off the board while Texas lacks a single commit from the portal. With all of the players officially leaving the 40, as well as some that declared pro but saved college eligibility, it's surprising and a bit alarming that they have yet to get a singular answer on how to try to replicate this last season.
Gracias

(from Orangebloods)

So far, Texas has lost:
SirJabari Rice (grad)
Marcus Carr (grad)
Timmy Allen (grad)
Christian Bishop (grad)

Texas transfer targets:

G Reese Dixon-Waters
USC –> San Diego State

G LJ Cryer
Baylor –> Houston

C Kel'el Ware
Oregon –> Indiana

G Tylor Perry

G Caleb Love
N. Carolina –> Michigan

G Ryan Nembhard

G TJ Bamba

Quincy Olivari

Kadin Shedrick
UVA –> considering Texas

Max Abmas

He does have the #6 and #15 recruits in the nation coming in, so there's that.

Reactions: JCorona
Only 29 guys valued above 50k. Most of these guys would never come here anyway, but if we have 400k then what is the issue? The NIL sucks since its not being used correctly, but Golding is not in a position to ignore it. I'm pretty sure it's him and our admin.
I'm not sure how those NIL values were determined, but they seem far from reality. Just taking a guy like Boum as an example, who made ~250k last year with Xavier, and the numbers appear to be way off. Dae Dae Grant made ~70k at Duquesne. I agree that Golding needs to come up with something recruiting wise; I'm not sure he can use the NIL excuse like he did last year.

I assume this is an incoming recruit
It's crazy to me that a kid can "commit" to a school, then decommit from the same school, then has some sense of entitlement to say that the school is still in his top schools.

"Let me see if some better school will come along and court me. If not I may come back to you."

It's crazy to me that a kid can "commit" to a school, then decommit from the same school, then has some sense of entitlement to say that the school is still in his top schools.

"Let me see if some better school will come along and court me. If not I may come back to you."
I will say that I think kids/young adults these days are “soft” and have more sense of entitlement than you or I probably did, but coaches are the same way.

They will tell their boss they’re interested in another job, and then talk that school. If they don’t get it, they come back like nothing happened or try to get a raise out of it. We do it too. We might interview with other jobs. Sometimes we don’t tell our current bosses. Only difference is, this is out in the public. It’s just the way it is.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I will say that I think kids/young adults these days are “soft” and have more sense of entitlement than you or I probably did, but coaches are the same way.

They will tell their boss they’re interested in another job, and then talk that school. If they don’t get it, they come back like nothing happened or try to get a raise out of it. We do it too. We might interview with other jobs. Sometimes we don’t tell our current bosses. Only difference is, this is out in the public. It’s just the way it is.
I get it. And I agree with you for the most part. We may look for greener pastures, but what we don’t typically do is declare a “decommitment” from our work, expecting that it’ll be open indefinitely should we want to come back.

At least not in my experience.

I'm not gonna hate on Z. I love the young man. He came to UTEP because he always wanted to play at UTEP and I will always have love and respect for him because he stayed true to his heart.

Z's ceiling is untapped at this point in his career and if Golding isn't the guy to get him there then I hope he finds the right coaching staff that will help him get there. I will cheer him on no matter where he ends up.

I'm not gonna hate on Z. I love the young man. He came to UTEP because he always wanted to play at UTEP and I will always have love and respect for him because he stayed true to his heart.

Z's ceiling is untapped at this point in his career and if Golding isn't the guy to get him there then I hope he finds the right coaching staff that will help him get there. I will cheer him on no matter where he ends up.
I have to agree, but I also hope he makes the right choice in regards to fitting his trajectory. I would hate for him to find out the hard way that a jump to the SEC or big 12 may be too much right now, but that's part of the risk. Good luck to him.

I have to agree, but I also hope he makes the right choice in regards to fitting his trajectory. I would hate for him to find out the hard way that a jump to the SEC or big 12 may be too much right now, but that's part of the risk. Good luck to him.
I just don’t see Z getting a lot of minutes at a P5 school. I think they’d use him as an off the bench energy big rotational type player.

I get it. And I agree with you for the most part. We may look for greener pastures, but what we don’t typically do is declare a “decommitment” from our work, expecting that it’ll be open indefinitely should we want to come back.

At least not in my experience.
It's leverage, highly rated/recruited athletes now hold more cards than they ever did. It's a brave new (recruiting) world.

Reactions: FedupMiner
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT