ADVERTISEMENT

Potential UTEP basketball scenario.....

utep-piggy

MI Regular
Dec 3, 2016
west texas
If the 2016 UTEP basketball team is as bad as I suspect it is, it will be the first time in the history of the UTEP men's basketball program that it finishes a season with LESS WINS than the UTEP football team. WOW!!

As bad as this team is, I don't see that happening. For me realistically, the team will win somewhere between 5 and 10 games.

Reactions: UTEP05
If Floyd resigns, and they promote Johnson to HC, the DHC needs to burn to the ground.
What other scenario would there be if Floyd were to resign prior to the season's end? Which, call me crazy, but I could see happening. I don't see Stull naming anyone else interim head coach. However, the nightmare scenario would be naming Johnson permanent head coach. However, you can't fire the entire staff prior to the season ending. That's nuts.

What other scenario would there be if Floyd were to resign prior to the season's end? Which, call me crazy, but I could see happening. I don't see Stull naming anyone else interim head coach. However, the nightmare scenario would be naming Johnson permanent head coach. However, you can't fire the entire staff prior to the season ending. That's nuts.

I didn't mean interim.

Reactions: UTEP05
It's gotta be a clean sweep. Out with the old coaches and in with a whole new crew. No doubt there will really be a dramatic change in the roster as well. A new coach might likely be bringing his own players and some the existing recruits may opt out. In the meantime, it's going to be a long, long miserable nightmare until this existing fiasco rides off into the sunset.

Reactions: unihorn
A clean sweep at season's end. I'm not advocating keeping anyone on this staff. But how do you get rid of the entire coaching staff DURING the season? Does the team designate a player/coach? Sometimes people really don't think things through here, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cube Jack
He couldn't cut the mustard here. Probably Floyd listened to a assistant coach too much.

every player on the current roster cant cut the mustard, on yesterday's 92.3 postgame show Phil Johnson admitted every player on the current roster except for O. Harris lacked division I quickness and athleticism

every player on the current roster cant cut the mustard, on yesterday's 92.3 postgame show Phil Johnson admitted every player on the current roster except for O. Harris lacked division I quickness and athleticism
giphy.gif

Reactions: utep-piggy
The hell scenario is Floyd is fired, Johnson is promoted and HC and immediately hires Floyd as his assistant. Given the direction of the UTEP program recently my money is on this scenario.

The hell scenario is Floyd is fired, Johnson is promoted and HC and immediately hires Floyd as his assistant. Given the direction of the UTEP program recently my money is on this scenario.

Does Johnson actually do anything besides the post-game radio interview and eating sandwiches at Pot Belly?

If Floyd resigns, and they promote Johnson to HC, the DHC needs to burn to the ground.
Why it would only be temporary for the rest of the season if that Floyd resigned or was fired. He won't be the next coach permanently

That's what happens when you chase recruits away. Nobody to blame but Floyd, good job coach keep up the great work

GO MINERS!

A clean sweep at season's end. I'm not advocating keeping anyone this staff. But how do you get rid of the entire coaching staff DURING the season? Does the team designate a player/coach? Sometimes people really don't think things through here, lol.
Not talking about mid-season. Talking about the day after the last game of the season. No point in doing anything now, although maybe you, me and 05 could become tri- coaches to finish out the season. If we won " one" game that might be incentive to offer us a contract for next year!

Reactions: allminer and UTEP05
Not talking about mid-season. Talking about the day after the last game of the season. No point in doing anything now, although maybe you, me and 05 could become tri- coaches to finish out the season. If we won " one" game that might be incentive to offer us a contract for next year!

all this losing has made u loco

I will do it for that salary. :D

As long as 05 cleans the chalk board and sweeps the floors, ok by me.

Clean house now
C"mom dude. Then what? Who coaches? What kind of coach and staff do we get mid season? This is hilarious. I'm not advocating for this staff, but short of a major scandal, no one fires an entire coaching staff mid season. We'd be a laughing stock and hurt the search for the next coach.

Kugler just sent Floyd two tickets to a Cowboy game "Thanks for taking the heat off me! Yours truelly, Kug; PS, I got a case of Bud in the office!"

Reactions: develman and UTEP05
I'm just tired of his ego, dour tone, and the way he suffocates broadcasts. I don't think he attracts new fans. I'd enjoy a younger, fresher, more naturally positive voice for the program.

All that said, I don't deny his encyclopedic knowledge of Miner athletics.
I've never thought about Teicher with regards to not attracting new fans. Thats a damn good point. Not trying to pile on here but imagine a guy like Asher Wildeman I know it cant be him but someone like him, wearing orange outfits hanging out at bars and overall being a life force for the programs.

Reactions: UTEP05 and unihorn
My take on Teicher...I've always felt that he does a great job. I think he's knowledgeable and I enjoy his emotional reaction to great plays. He can really raise the pitch of his voice a couple of octives. I must say though that I encountered him in the airport in Dallas as we were both on the same El Paso bound flight. I gave him a warm greeting acknowledging that I knew who he was and his reaction was basically...go away; don't bother me. I was really disappointed and thought his attitude was totally arrogant. This was back in the days of the SMU games.
In his defense now...can you imagine the challenge of trying to do play-by-play for the current version of Miner basketball while remaining upbeat? That's a tough assignment!

Reactions: kappasigmaminer
I never gave that much thought to Teicher's ability to attract new fans... fair point. I really enjoy his excitement he brings to the games. As much as we all want to say we go to X amount of games a year, he has had a front row seat to every one of these disasters since forever. And unlike us, he can't get up and walk out in frustration. So for me, I enjoy listening to him lose his mind when The Miners do well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT