ADVERTISEMENT

Prospector Story ... Winn

You don't make an example of your best player unless he really, really deserves being made an example of.

This doesn't sound anything like Floyd was making an example of Winn. It sounds like he overreacted, which we as fans have witnessed plenty of from him over the last 6 years.

Players need discipline, and as I said in another thread, everyone has to be held accountable for their actions. The only one who has had absolutely zero checks and balances on him is Floyd. Something about this situation stinks...and I think it's Floyd's shit.

If this was an isolated incident I would back CTF but this has been a pattern of behavior going back 7 years. He brings in talent and then waves bye, bye to them. Please give me a show of hands on how many of you believe this will be the last player to leave the team this year. I would bet $100 that one or more players will leave the team before the end of the season other than Winn. We need to change the culture within the bball program.

Reactions: develman and UTEP05
@jdubb66 How many bridges do you thinks he's burned with high school and say coaches with his actions?

Winn was my favorite player, it sucks. But he came from a Basketball factory that we have offered several guys over the years to. Hopefully he isn't ruining relationships by treating players poorly.

Reactions: jdubb66
The Winn fiasco shows light on the Floyd's biggest problem, no depth because he risked it all on questionable recruits. If there was an equally qualified player who could replace him, most in miner fandom would be saying "Winn, you crybaby! Your loss!". But he was all UTEP had for a solid inside presence (who was developing his 12 to 15 foot game). Floyd feels the heat to perform and that was a bad, bad mix with a starter who knows that he is the hope for expectations of a winning season

Hopefully he didn't delete secret emails. If he did he will be celebrated and be with us forever

There is more to this story than Winn's version. I think there is a bigger lesson to be learned here than bashing a coach who is trying to turn these boys into men. Omega has had similar issues but has stuck it out and is better for it. I heard Winn has an attitude issue, among other issues (which I can't verify). Winn apparently thinks he is bigger than the team. He is a distraction and that is not going to be accepted no matter what school he ends up at. I am tired of these kids thinking they run the show at UTEP. If Winn was a solid person who could handle adversity, Coach would get him where he needs to be not only on the court but for life outside of basketball. One torn ACL and that could be it. Winn has abandoned his teammates because he wants to be catered to. He is not a superstar by any stretch of the imagination. He is just an above average player on a very average basketball team. Winn has another agenda that he is using to leave UTEP. Too bad because he could have helped this team. Maybe he is worried about the talent coming in next year. Who knows? I don't want a coach who lets the kids control the program. That's how you end up on probation or worse. If any of the other players can't follow the rules or do what the coaches tell them, then show them the door. We will eventually get the right kind of kids to play for UTEP.

Reactions: miner1liner
There is more to this story than Winn's version. I think there is a bigger lesson to be learned here than bashing a coach who is trying to turn these boys into men. Omega has had similar issues but has stuck it out and is better for it. I heard Winn has an attitude issue, among other issues (which I can't verify). Winn apparently thinks he is bigger than the team. He is a distraction and that is not going to be accepted no matter what school he ends up at. I am tired of these kids thinking they run the show at UTEP. If Winn was a solid person who could handle adversity, Coach would get him where he needs to be not only on the court but for life outside of basketball. One torn ACL and that could be it. Winn has abandoned his teammates because he wants to be catered to. He is not a superstar by any stretch of the imagination. He is just an above average player on a very average basketball team. Winn has another agenda that he is using to leave UTEP. Too bad because he could have helped this team. Maybe he is worried about the talent coming in next year. Who knows? I don't want a coach who lets the kids control the program. That's how you end up on probation or worse. If any of the other players can't follow the rules or do what the coaches tell them, then show them the door. We will eventually get the right kind of kids to play for UTEP.

There are definitely two sides to every story; and we may never know the true details to this one. At this point, there is no choice but to move on. Let's be clear, this hurts both Winn as well as the basketball program. If Winn transfers to another D1 school, he will have just one year of eligibility left to play because he has already red-shirted. So, it will be interesting to see where he lands with just one year left to play, but taking up a ride for two years.

For the program, it hurts an already severely talent challenged unit. With Artis leaving after this year, we have exactly one guy I would consider a starter on most CUSA teams (Omega). I consider Willms, Jones, and Thomas as huge questions marks, but probable holdovers on next years team. Again, the big issue is not in Winn deciding to leave, it is the complete lack of competent talent to even remotely compensate with his departure. Next year, unless there is some miracle Fili/OT/Jason Williams late JC signings, we can expect a team that is worse than this years. The six new guys signed have never played one D1 game between them. Is it realistic to consider an improvement next year?

Are there any freshman from this year's team that we can realistically considered possible impact players next year? If they were, I would think they would be playing some this year (I did list K. Jones above). The point being, I don't see the program turning this around this year or next year. I'm not sure if the staff does either. When you mention, "we will eventually get the right kind of kids to play for UTEP." My question is when? I just don't see it.

I just hate all this mess. I am tired of the drama year after year. I am not going
to blame Winn or Coach Floyd. I just want to see some good basketball.
I want to take my grandson to the games so he can experience what I experience
when my dad used to take me to the games back in the 70's and 80's.

Will my grandson get to experience the euphoria from those glory days?
I hope so.

We are going through some sad days in UTEP's athletics. Hate to say it but it's
true.

Go Miners...

My problem with him blaming the players, is the fact that he recruited these players. I would think you would talk to them and their family as well as coaches to find out if there are any sort of attitude/academic problems that could be an issue down the road. So is Floyd just a jerk or is he not doing his homework on these kids?

Reactions: UTEP05
My problem with him blaming the players, is the fact that he recruited these players. I would think you would talk to them and their family as well as coaches to find out if there are any sort of attitude/academic problems that could be an issue down the road. So is Floyd just a jerk or is he not doing his homework on these kids?

Both?

One thing that sticks out to me. Winn saying Floyd cant relate to today's player. Been saying this for years. That's why I made the Bob Knight era comment. While Floyd may not be physical like BK was, he is still every bit as tyrannical.

There are those that will continue to defend Floyd's lack of results, his track record with players/recruits and his refusal for more program transparency, but I can only hope that more kids step forward and speak up and "out" the man, whether they be players of the past or present. Floyd is a cancer to this program.

Based on Winn's interview, it sounds like Floyd was determined to push/challenge Winn and the alleged slight at being benched was just a pretense Floyd used to justify his tactics. Whether or not Winn really felt slighted wasn't the issue; Floyd felt Winn was capable of more and just needed an excuse to challenge him.

It obviously backfired. Some kids do respond to these tactics, rise to the occasion with a new motivation. Other kids already feel that they're busting their ass and giving their all and resent the insinuation from the coach that they're holding something back.

It seems like in the '80s and '90s these tactics were employed routinely. If Floyd was doing this to Winn, it means he feels like Winn is capable of more and wants him to be a leader. Step back and see it as a compliment, in a way, not at face value. But more kids these days are sensitive and aren't receptive to these tactics. Is Floyd wrong for using these tactics in the modern basketball age, or is the modern generation too sensitive?

Based on Winn's interview, it sounds like Floyd was determined to push/challenge Winn and the alleged slight at being benched was just a pretense Floyd used to justify his tactics. Whether or not Winn really felt slighted wasn't the issue; Floyd felt Winn was capable of more and just needed an excuse to challenge him.

It obviously backfired. Some kids do respond to these tactics, rise to the occasion with a new motivation. Other kids already feel that they're busting their ass and giving their all and resent the insinuation from the coach that they're holding something back.

It seems like in the '80s and '90s these tactics were employed routinely. If Floyd was doing this to Winn, it means he feels like Winn is capable of more and wants him to be a leader. Step back and see it as a compliment, in a way, not at face value. But more kids these days are sensitive and aren't receptive to these tactics. Is Floyd wrong for using these tactics in the modern basketball age, or is the modern generation too sensitive?

The previous UTEP coaches didn't had so many coach-player issues and ALL of them were more successful than Floyd, even Reabeadux. Floyd has crossed the line, he is out of control, he literally lost it.

As they say: there are two sides to every story, and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

My guess is that Winn's story is pretty darn accurate. Maybe there was a little "attitude" when he laughed and tried to brush Floyd off. Either way, he should have never been punished for "not playing well". Every player has bad games, but the effort is what counts. Furthermore, I completely believe him when he said Floyd came after him. Floyd is a hothead, and the drubbing he got from WF probably sent him into one of his usual temper tantrums. Same story, different season. ..

Rather than judge from our own perspective the answer to your question, how about we ask if these tactics been effective with this generation, and at UTEP.

Right or wrong, thats the out of touch part. Floyd keeps trying to hammer a square through a circle. When he is unsuccessful he just hits harder.

Perhaps CTH would be better suited coaching at Princeton or Harvard.

But he did come from that Don Haskins/Henry Iba coaching tree. How many times did you ever hear players say how Don was the devil when they were players, and then when they were done playing they said he was their best friend. By no means am I defending Floyd, but he needs to admit times are changing.

But he did come from that Don Haskins/Henry Iba coaching tree. How many times did you ever hear players say how Don was the devil when they were players, and then when they were done playing they said he was their best friend. By no means am I defending Floyd, but he needs to admit times are changing.

I remember hearing that regularly. I have never heard a UTEP player, however, within the last 7 or so years refer to Floyd as a friend/mentor, let alone best friend.

I know you said you're not sticking up for Floyd, but there are very distinct differences between he and Haskins.

Reactions: UTEP05 and develman
Best player in UTEP's history was Cowboy Radford back in the late 90's. :p

Remember him well. He quit over playing time and was bashed in an interview by none other than Coach Haskins. He came back later and rode the bench a lot. He stated that he'd received interest from Big East and ACC teams.

"Over the past six years, Arnett Moultrie, Michael Perez, D’Von Campbell, Darius Nelson, Marqywell Jackson, Malcolm Moore, Twymond Howard, Chris Washburn, Vince Hunter, Brodricks Jones, Josh McSwiggan, Lee Moore and now Terry Winn."

This doesn't include players who never showed up or were kicked off the team for whatever reason. If it was 2-5 players I would take Floyd's side. This pattern is unhealthy and without the winning results there is no way to take Floyd's side. Results is all that matter. If we had a couple of conference championships and some NCAA appearances most would be bashing the players not the coach.

So you think the parents and coaches of these recruits are going to say something to the coach that may prevent them from getting a scholarship? Are you crazy? Everyone says the right things to get what they want. It's the players who change once they get on campus. On the court in high school these players know they are being watched so they are on their best behavior. Once a college commits to that player the school is stuck (at least for the first year). If the player is a problem or is not able to handle playing at this level what is a coach supposed to do? Convince them to transfer and pretend it was a mutual decision. It saves face for everyone and gives the player at least another opportunity to play somewhere else.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT