ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment 2022

Jmu hasn't done shit at the fbs level and they're already getting picked ahead of us.

• Wow
Reactions: nattybry
The Big 12 deal is up after the 24-25 season. USC and UCLA are joining at the start of that season. So any team that joins the Big 12 in 24-25 would have to go 1 year with the old tv deal. That is nothing. Not an obstacle.
You're right. For some reason I was thinking they just got a new TV deal. So the PAC-12 will have their contract negotiations the year before the Big 12.

Jesus Christ. I just got off an Alaskan Cruise and have had no internet for a week and I open this bombshell.

Reactions: mikesarabia
That leaves the PAC 12 at four and most likely those four end up in the MW. Looks like the MW still ends up being the big winner of realignment.
I guess that makes us the Big losers...again.

That leaves the PAC 12 at four and most likely those four end up in the MW. Looks like the MW still ends up being the big winner of realignment.
That or I think more likely that the 4 remaining schools and PAC 12 take at least 6 schools from MWC.

Reactions: Lil_Train
That or I think more likely that the 4 remaining schools and PAC 12 take at least 6 schools from MWC.
Yea if six to eight schools are given the opportunity to leave behind some in the MW and join the PAC I think they would. If they all stayed loyal to each other then I think the PAC is done.

Yea if six to eight schools are given the opportunity to leave behind some in the MW and join the PAC I think they would. If they all stayed loyal to each other then I think the PAC is done.
So this is how the new PAC 10 or 12 or whatever they'll call it could possibly look
California
Stanford
Oregon St
Washington St
Boise St.
Fresno St
SDSU
UNLV
Colorado St.
Nevada
Gonzaga Basketball Only
Hawaii Football Only

If that happens UTEP definitely will be on a short list for MWC expansion.

Last edited:
Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
Yep, we already know Fresno isn't loyal to the MW. 😀

Last edited:
I can't believe that Stanford and Berkeley would end up in the MWC. If the Big 12 thought they could get those two, I would think that they would. That suggests to me that the Big 10 is talking with them.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Loyalty doesn't exist in college sports. AD's lie to each other at meetings while planning their departure. It's a dog eat dog business. Trust no one.

I can't believe that Stanford and Berkeley would end up in the MWC. If the Big 12 thought they could get those two, I would think that they would. That suggests to me that the Big 10 is talking with them.

I really doubt it will play out like that. Cal and Stanford aren’t going to associate with 3 Cal State schools and Boise St unless there is no other choice. I think there’s a good chance 1 or both end up in the Big 10.

Notre Dame has apparently turned down the Big 10 again. More likely they will look to add Stanford at least and perhaps an ACC team...Clemson come on down.

Texas rumors has ND possibly in SEC.

I can not see Stanford or Cal in the MW. Stanford has the best overall sports programs in the country:

" Stanford University won the Division I award for 25 straight years until the streak was broken in 2020–21 by the University of Texas."-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NACDA_Directors'_Cup

"GUTTED PAC-12 MEMBERS MIGHT MERGE WITH MOUNTAIN WEST

Steve Kaplowitz
Steve Kaplowitz
Published: July 5, 2022
Getty Images

Today, CBS Sports college football writer Dennis Dodd wrote about the Big 12 and its interest in adding up to six Pac-12 schools. If he's right and Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, Oregon, and Washington all depart for the Big 12, there would be just four schools left in the Pac-12. Stanford, Cal, Oregon State, and Washington State would be the sole survivors of the Pac-12's dismemberment. If this happens, one scenario makes the most sense for them.

A potential merger between the Pac-12 and Mountain West Conference would be the end result I would bet on. The MWC is currently at 12 schools for football, adding Stanford, Cal, Oregon State, and Washington State to the mix would expand the league to 16. If this does in fact happen, the new league would either dissolve the Pac-12 or Mountain West Conference name. Regardless of what name they stick with, the 16-teams that would make up the football conference would most likely stay as a Group of 5. Basketball would be at 15 since Hawaii only competes in football for the MWC. KTSM's Colin Deaver wrote about this last week, and he also speculated that Gonzaga could wind up as a possible non-football member which would get the league back up to 16.

If the dominoes fall like the situation listed above, most likely Conference USA will not be impacted at all by the series of moves. I would not expect the new MWC-Pac 12 merger to want more teams than they already have so UTEP's chances to rejoin their old WAC foes would not be a reality. C-USA was in a similar spot as the Pac-12 last summer and they chose to bring in NMSU, Sam Houston, Liberty, and Jacksonville State to fill the void left by six members leaving for the AAC and another three to the Sun Belt.
One thing to always remember is that the college athletics landscape is constantly evolving. What might not be feasible today could change in a matter of days, if not hours. When the smoke clears, the SEC and Big 10 will be the two biggest and most prestigious conferences in college sports. Then, you will have the Big 12 and ACC followed by everyone else."

Steve, your magic ball is way more clearer than any sports media guy within a 350 mile radius. However, no way on God's green earth Stanford or Cal will go to the MW.

https://www.si.com/college/stanford/football/stanford-a-part-of-the-big-tens-wish-list

Last edited:
Reactions: utep-piggy
I don't see Stanford going to the MW. Not in football. More likely they go indy I think.
I think you’re right. Stanford won’t go to the MW. I think they end up in the Big10. I can’t exactly see Cal going to the MW either. Both have the academic profile to be a good fit in the Big10. Especially if this thing is going in the direction that Minerforlife projects…two super conferences.

EDIT: Repeat info. I hadn’t scrolled down to 2Step’s or Feral’s posts yet. Didn’t realize it had already been said.

The PAC 12 were on the cusp of inviting Houston and TCU last August. TCU had prepared and dropped all public prayer before sporting events were pretty much prepared to become a secular university to get into the PAC 12. For some unknown reason at the 11th hour invites weren't extended. I'm sure both will be invited now. I tend to think they won't accept. In that case I look for the PAC 12 to invite SMU and Rice. SMU would put a statue of Satan at the fifty yardline to get out of being in a conference with UNT. Rice would appease CAL and Stanford who want no part of the Cal State schools. I would think UTSA is their their third Texas option. They need a few of Texas schools for TV deal and recruiting.

Last edited:
USC and UCLA making big mistake and other Pac 12 schools making big mistake. With schools leaving for other conferences, that is opening door for smaller schools to enter Pac 12 or Big 12 USC and UCLA will be losing top recruits to the San Diego State's and Boise States. California kids aren't going to want to play in the cold.

USC and UCLA making big mistake and other Pac 12 schools making big mistake. With schools leaving for other conferences, that is opening door for smaller schools to enter Pac 12 or Big 12 USC and UCLA will be losing top recruits to the San Diego State's and Boise States. California kids aren't going to want to play in the cold.
This is so stupid. I don’t know why I waste my time with you.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT