ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment 2022

There's one way and one way only. That's to build a winning football program. For decades UTEP fell further down because the athletic department wanted to chase ghosts in basketball. People say we can't win in football. My rebuttal has always been we've never tried. They have never fully funded football. They have never dumped the resources into football they needed to. People talked shit about UTSA's convocation center. It was "high school gym". Instead of wasting money on the gym UTSA invested almost $50 million on a football practice facility. They paid low salaries to their basketball coach and high salary to their football coach. Meanwhile we were paying our basketball coach more than our football coach. We spent more on basketball than any school in CUSA after Memphis left and we have nothing to show for it. We've tried to be good at basketball and we're not. Meanwhile UTSA invested in football put basketball on the backburner and they and "their high school gym" are off to the AAC. Meanwhile we're playing grab ass with NMSU Jacksonville State and SHSU. I could put alot of schools in that example other than UTSA. Look at where we were in 2005 and look how far we've fallen in 17 years. It embarrassing. The fact we built an basketball facility before an ipf for football is one of dumbest things any d1 school has ever done. I think they have finally gotten the message and are prioritizing football. I fear they won't go far enough to fund football. Unfortunately I have zero faith in Jim Senter. He'll have his thumb up his ass tweeting motivational tweets and NMSU will out maneuver us and get into the MWC. Hopefully we fully invest in football for the first time ever. It's the only thing that can save us.
If nmsu got into the mwc wouldn’t that totally go against your point? They have never been good in football… honestly the only team we know each year Utep can beat …. So that would say that got in with a good Bball program?

If nmsu got into the mwc wouldn’t that totally go against your point? They have never been good in football… honestly the only team we know each year Utep can beat …. So that would say that got in with a good Bball program?

I believe the point Minerforlife is trying to say is that NMSU will be better at football before us, with Senter at the helm. At least that's what I got from it.

SDSU and Fresno state to the Pac 12. Also UAB was in the mix according to someone on Twitter.

Actually the twitter source was a fraud. So many frauds on Twitter. Reminds me of Minerdigs.😕😕😕

NMSU seems like they have realized being a top 10 mid major for two decades has got them nowhere. It seems like they are going to shift resources and attention to football. If they get football going and we're asleep at the wheel they could definitely get into the MWC over us.

Do you think Coach Dimel is heading us in the right direction? It's almost a given that UTEP will get to a bowl game again this season. If the Miners stay on track and get to a bowl game next year, that will be three in a row. A first for the program. If we can win one of them, will we have finally arrived as a football program? If we do, you sourpusses will likely boycott UTEP athletics for denying you something to bitch about.
We do need to build up football, but a rising tide raises all boats. We're not going to be able to drop all other sports just so we can put every nickel we've got into football. Put that on a T-Shirt.

Do you think Coach Dimel is heading us in the right direction? It's almost a given that UTEP will get to a bowl game again this season. If the Miners stay on track and get to a bowl game next year, that will be three in a row. A first for the program. If we can win one of them, will we have finally arrived as a football program? If we do, you sourpusses will likely boycott UTEP athletics for denying you something to bitch about.
We do need to build up football, but a rising tide raises all boats. We're not going to be able to drop all other sports just so we can put every nickel we've got into football. Put that on a T-Shirt.
Given? This is UTEP, nothing is a given... They have the potential to get there. This 1st game is huge, for many reasons. A possible sell-out and a UTEP win, could keep butts in seats this season.

Given? This is UTEP, nothing is a given... They have the potential to get there. This 1st game is huge, for many reasons. A possible sell-out and a UTEP win, could keep butts in seats this season.
Exactly right shyminer. UNT is also favored on the road. UTEP can't lay an egg like they did against UTSA last year. One game at a time.

Exactly right shyminer. UNT is also favored on the road. UTEP can't lay an egg like they did against UTSA last year. One game at a time.
I heard they are favored by 1 point? That's pretty favorable to the Miners. I like their chances! Its going to be a great atmosphere! I am flying in from DFW, so I'd imagine some UNT fans should be onboard as well.. Us Miner fans will be a party of 6... Anyone else flying from DFW that Friday night?

Reactions: Taco1977
I wish all math was this easy. B1G announced yesterday that they had secured a media rights deal with Fox and affiliates worth 1 BILLION dollars a year. The PAC would revenue would sink to 300 million a year with the exit of UCLA and USC or about 30 per school. B1G could easily multiply by a factor of 2 to 3 the amount of money 1 or 2 PAC schools is getting right now. The questions is, would $60 million cover the expanded travel costs associated with a move to a midwest conference?

Last edited:
I wish all math was this easy. B1G announced yesterday that they had secured a media rights deal with Fox and affiliates worth 1 BILLION dollars a year. The PAC would revenue would sink to 300 million a year with the exit of UCLA and USC or about 30 per school. B1G could easily multiply by a factor of 2 to 3 the amount of money 1 or 2 PAC schools is getting right now. The questions is, would $60 million cover the expanded travel costs associated with a move to a midwest conference?
I read that each member would receive $80-100 million. In that case, without a doubt the expanded travel costs would be more than covered.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT