ADVERTISEMENT

Rivalry?

During the end of the WAC- billy gillespie era, we had started to develop a good rivalry with Nevada in basketball (). Those games, especially in the Wac tourney were epic. I also thought that in football, he were developing a UH rivalry. God, we need to leave CUSA. I guess that I currently dislike UTSA because I seem them as a recruiting threat as well as copycats. I've always disliked San Antonio as a city as well.

During the end of the WAC- billy gillespie era, we had started to develop a good rivalry with Nevada in basketball ( ). Those games, especially in the Wac tourney were epic. I also thought that in football, he were developing a UH rivalry. God, we need to leave CUSA. I guess that I currently dislike UTSA because I seem them as a recruiting threat as well as copycats. I've always disliked San Antonio as a city as well.
I agree. I see utsa as our biggest conference rival. It's hard to develop a rivalry against a team that owns you in both major sports.

I too was a participant in the 70's, 80's and 90"s of Miner Basketball and currently we really have nothing to compare as a true rival except maybe NMSU. A lot of factors contribute to or lack of rivals. (1) Quality of our opponents (and of course us as well) when I look back at who we played in conference the UNM's and UTAH,s and Byu's, they were all high quality and often ranked when we played CUSA and the "New WAC" has had nothing even come close expect for Nevada and Memphis. (2) the Sun Carnaval tourney often brought in a top team every year and some years 2, we haven't seen anything close to that in a long time. Can't blame the Sun Carnaval Assc. or Utep for this rules changes concerning tourney hosting and TV rights etc did this in. (3) We could be developing rivals with nearby power conference teams like the ASU, Texas Tech and U of A teams but they have nothing to gain playing us and only if we play at their place they have total control over every aspect and put us at a huge disadvantage (sorry, officials do play a role in game outcome and it is hardly ever a level field). UNM is the anomaly here as it would seem an advantage to both programs to play every year. They may be waking up to this fact in both football and basketball. (4) We are in a crappy conference full of teams who have no history with us or even their own, it's full of start-ups, one hitters or one sport pony. Many don't have facilities, fan support or offer any long term outlook for success, we are in the same boat for the most part. We all lack the money to do things in "big" way or sustain long term success. Hard to think rivals when you are in survival mode.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT