ADVERTISEMENT

Rivalry?

Cube Jack

MI Hall of Famer
Mar 10, 2006
El Paso, TX
My student days were the 90s. I watched UTEP basketball in the 80s frequently. The rivalries I think of are UNM, NMSU, BYU, Utah and briefly Wyoming. Those rivalries are pretty dormant now aside from NMSU.

Would you consider UNT a "rival"? It's strange that a complaint I heard in the 90s was the lack of interstate rivals in the conference. Today there's Rice, UTSA and UNT but none seem to be like the rivals of yesteryear.

My student days were the 90s. I watched UTEP basketball in the 80s frequently. The rivalries I think of are UNM, NMSU, BYU, Utah and briefly Wyoming. Those rivalries are pretty dormant now aside from NMSU.

Would you consider UNT a "rival"? It's strange that a complaint I heard in the 90s was the lack of interstate rivals in the conference. Today there's Rice, UTSA and UNT but none seem to be like the rivals of yesteryear.

I agree and think you can attribute that to multiple factors.

1. We were winning back then
2. Those rivals were winning back then
3. There was not even mention of changing conferences back then and with that stability rivalries developed between top tier teams
4. Common thread between those teams is that we seemed to be the hunted, rather than the hunter, and so each became a solid rivalry as we perceived it.
5. (Please feel free to add to my incomplete list)

Last edited:
Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
This has been my only object of true hatred in the CUSA era:

tyndallmorehead.jpg

As far as in conference rivalry I say UTSA, RICE and La Tech have some good potential.
This has been my only object of true hatred in the CUSA era:

tyndallmorehead.jpg
What about me? No hate?

john-calipari.jpg

Last edited:
I'm looking at UNT's arena and another reason a rivalry hasn't formed with them is because there ain't nobody in that ****n place. Can't generate excitement to create a rivalry in an empty gym. Jebus Kryst!

I'm looking at UNT's arena and another reason a rivalry hasn't formed with them is because there ain't nobody in that ****n place. Can't generate excitement to create a rivalry in an empty gym. Jebus Kryst!

Semi-commuter school known for art and music programs.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Semi-commuter school known for art and music programs.

Haha. I actually went there. My wife graduated from there. My first born's middle name is Denton because he was born there right before we moved to NB.

Fry Street Fair! I loved Denton. Although, it is where I did more damage to my brain than any place I've lived. Too much easy access to...

Haha. I actually went there. My wife graduated from there. My first born's middle name is Denton because he was born there right before we moved to NB.

Fry Street Fair! I loved Denton. Although, it is where I did more damage to my brain than any place I've lived. Too much easy access to...

My wife went there too.

My youngest son is a student there now. He loves the place.

lieb
Nice college town. Had my regional office in Denton, a number of years ago.Didn't stay long because of the torrid summer heat. It's a lot cooler now with Pikes Peak in my backyard, but I've never regretted the time I spent in that community.

I hated Tom Penders because he was such a whiner when he coached the shorthorns and they came to El Paso. Top that off with their smug fans that were here and they became a school I despised.

As far as most hated individual players I'd have to go with Danny Ainge. He was a major crybaby. After that Kenny Thomas, Fennis Dembo, Nick Fazekas, Luc Longley, Randy and Robbie Reid, John Molle Jr, Sly Johnson and (much later) Jarryl Sasser.

Last edited:
Still like UNT's radio station name from the early to mid 90s. Don't know if it's changed, but I would imagine with today's demand for political correctness, it has.

"Good morning. If KUNT is what you're waking up to, it's gonna be a great day!"

Still like UNT's radio station name from the early to mid 90s. Don't know if it's changed, but I would imagine with today's demand for political correctness, it has.

Reminded me of this.
UNT.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MineroFanatico

Urban legend, right there...

Urban legend, right there...

From an official standpoint, yes. However, I can assure you that there was a morning radio show/jockey that, over the years, introduced the station as KUNT. I was only there from 92-95, and if i remember correctly, this particular show was mostly grunge music and local jazz fusion artists and the DJ(s) fit and played the part.

From my point of view, Memphis in basketball was always the rivalry game in conference. Memphis usually won but we beat them three times over the years, twice on their court. UAB beat them once at home. No one else came close. I got to rag my supervisor at work a couple of times. Even Memphis fans were glad to see the back of Calipari when he left. My supervisor still cries over his taking the snow cone machine with him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT