ADVERTISEMENT

Senior transfer Shamar Givance set to lead UTEP men's basketball team

Holy crap I read that wrong. Probably because everything bad ALWAYS happens to us. I read "Shamar Givance set to transfer" good lord man...

I think the big guys will surprise. Wouldn't be shocked if they upset Texas at home...
I will be shocked if that happens. Probably one of the biggest upsets in the history of college basketball.

Texas lost to Chamenade during Barnes’ time.

And of course Shaka lost to Golding.

Last edited:
I remember one of them that we got. Either 91 or 92. We were up 28 or 30 at the Don and UT clawed their way back to within 2. I think we ended up winning by 4 in the end. Was the Sweet 16 team.
I was at that game too. It was the finals of the 91 Sun Bowl Basketball Tournament. I was living in San Diego at time, but was in El Paso for the Holidays. After we built up that big lead Texas started pressing us, and we started playing not to lose rather than win. What looked like a sure win came to look like a probable loss, but we held on in the end. And you were right, I just looked it up, we won by 4.

What happened to all the excitement everyone had with the hire of Golding? Last year he overachieved a bit. Especially after losing Williams. This year he's basically starting with mostly new players. I know stars wise, we don't think his recruiting has been stellar yet, but I'm at least keeping an open mind and a bit of hope on what this man can do at Utep. If not this year by year 3 or 4 in getting us to the NCAA and maybe winning a game or 2.

What happened to all the excitement everyone had with the hire of Golding? Last year he overachieved a bit. Especially after losing Williams. This year he's basically starting with mostly new players. I know stars wise, we don't think his recruiting has been stellar yet, but I'm at least keeping an open mind and a bit of hope on what this man can do at Utep. If not this year by year 3 or 4 in getting us to the NCAA and maybe winning a game or 2.
The narrative is no different now than it has been since our latest player defection, or even since his first recruiting class. Those that supported him then, seem to be the one’s that support him now.

CJG has always had those that are skeptical of his recruiting ability, which I can understand.

I think he’ll have the Miners ready to play. I think top 4-5 in CUSA this year, which wouldn’t be bad considering the turnover. I think the “Gold” in Golding comes from his ability to coach his players up. He probably needs a couple guys on staff who can recruit like MFers to round it all out.

I would feel very good about Mondays game if it was 1988 right now. UTEP BB was legit back in the day and UT could care less about basketball. Present day, UTEP BB is mediocre in a weak basketball conference and UT has drastically stepped up their commitment to mens basketball.
Fortunately for them, they have the resources to do so…for several obvious reasons. Unfortunately for us, those same resources are limited.

Hopefully we can get back to being tops in our weak conference.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
The narrative is no different now than it has been since our latest player defection, or even since his first recruiting class. Those that supported him then, seem to be the one’s that support him now.

CJG has always had those that are skeptical of his recruiting ability, which I can understand.

I think he’ll have the Miners ready to play. I think top 4-5 in CUSA this year, which wouldn’t be bad considering the turnover. I think the “Gold” in Golding comes from his ability to coach his players up. He probably needs a couple guys on staff who can recruit like MFers to round it all out.
I'm hopeful that the new NIL collective will help Golding on the recruiting end. We already saw last year that some of the guys he brought in for visits were looking at $$$. If he can bring in 2-3 top recruits with the support of NIL funding, he can used a tiered approach for the other guys. The challenge, of course, is that other schools will be using a similar approach, but at least it gives us a fighting chance.

I'm hopeful that the new NIL collective will help Golding on the recruiting end. We already saw last year that some of the guys he brought in for visits were looking at $$$. If he can bring in 2-3 top recruits with the support of NIL funding, he can used a tiered approach for the other guys. The challenge, of course, is that other schools will be using a similar approach, but at least it gives us a fighting chance.
Yeah, I agree. We should be able to compete with other G5 schools for recruits with the NIL co-op that’s now in place. May even be able to compete for the occasional P5 transfer. Fortunately, there is a whole lot more parity in cbb as opposed to cfb, which always gives the little guys a little bit of a fighting chance.

Last edited:
I don't know what to expect this year. There's too many unknowns, but I Love Golding as a coach and am still wait n see more mode as a recruiter. We may struggle early, but I hope he can coach this team up and have us competing by conference. Problem is UAB, W. Kentucky and N. Texas at least on paper are alot better and more experienced than we are.

Fortunately for them, they have the resources to do so…for several obvious reasons. Unfortunately for us, those same resources are limited.

Hopefully we can get back to being tops in our weak conference.
We will never be on the same level as UT in terms of resources. But on the CUSA level, UTEP has pretty good resources compared to other CUSA teams. UTEP always seems to have one of the highest paid head coaches in CUSA, one of the highest recruiting budgets, and some of the best BB facilities in CUSA and we have been average in CUSA. Our return on investment has been pretty lousy in mens basketball. A few years ago we were paying our BB coach more than the football coach. NMSU has done way more with less resources.

Last edited:
We will never be on the same level as UT in terms of resources. But on the CUSA level, UTEP has pretty good resources compared to other CUSA teams. UTEP always seems to have one of the highest paid head coaches in CUSA, one of the highest recruiting budgets, and some of the best BB facilities in CUSA and we have been average in CUSA. Our return on investment has been pretty lousy on mens basketball. A few years ago we were paying our BB coach more than the football coach. NMSU has done way more with less resources.
I can agree with all you said. I do think we have our best Xs and Os coach since Barbee, probably even since CBG.

I was high on Golding, and still am. He’s hit a couple apparent snags recruiting wise, but he’s still only got a year/season under his belt here, so I’ll continue to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

I'll bet most people aren't aware that we have played them four times in history and have won three of them.
Per UTEP:

SERIES HISTORY: TIED, 3-3
The series between UTEP and Texas is tied, 3-3, but the two programs haven't squared off since the 1991-92 season when the Miners downed the Longhorns, 92-88, as part of the Sun Carnival Classic Tournament on Dec. 29, 1991. The series dates to the 1923-24 campaign when UT toppled the Miners twice at home. That was the last time that the Orange and Blue have squared off against the Longhorns in Austin. Head coach Joe Golding has his own personal history against Texas, having sprung a huge upset at the 2021 NCAA tournament when he was with Abilene Christian. Golding led 14th-seeded ACU to a stunning 53-52 victory over third-seeded Texas in the opening round of the Big Dance on March 20, 2021.

Per UTEP:

SERIES HISTORY: TIED, 3-3
The series between UTEP and Texas is tied, 3-3, but the two programs haven't squared off since the 1991-92 season when the Miners downed the Longhorns, 92-88, as part of the Sun Carnival Classic Tournament on Dec. 29, 1991. The series dates to the 1923-24 campaign when UT toppled the Miners twice at home. That was the last time that the Orange and Blue have squared off against the Longhorns in Austin. Head coach Joe Golding has his own personal history against Texas, having sprung a huge upset at the 2021 NCAA tournament when he was with Abilene Christian. Golding led 14th-seeded ACU to a stunning 53-52 victory over third-seeded Texas in the opening round of the Big Dance on March 20, 2021.
The website I was on begins with 1949 games. Wasn't aware of outcomes over a "century" ago.
Can you provide the scores? I think back in the dark ages the scores were something like 12 to 9.

The website I was on begins with 1949 games. Wasn't aware of outcomes over a "century" ago.
Can you provide the scores? I think back in the dark ages the scores were something like 12 to 9.
I care, but not that much.

Conference USA will be a step up in basketball when the new teams come in and we get rid of a few bottom feeders. North Texas is the only loss in basketball. We won't be world beaters, but we will be better than we were. Golding will have us looking better than Coach Terry did. Just be patient. UTEP should be a pretty good team in a pretty good conference. I wish we could say the same about football. Go Miners.

Conference USA will be a step up in basketball when the new teams come in and we get rid of a few bottom feeders. North Texas is the only loss in basketball. We won't be world beaters, but we will be better than we were. Golding will have us looking better than Coach Terry did. Just be patient. UTEP should be a pretty good team in a pretty good conference. I wish we could say the same about football. Go Miners.

Reactions: Dmanminer
Still very high on Golding, not for the wins/losses perspective but from a team philosophy/identity standpoint. I though Terrys teams lacked something, a kind of toughness or confidence. That was evidence through much of last year as Golding worked with Terry's guys. But starting in the last 7 of eight games and in the Texas loss on Monday a "tough" mentality started to emerge. I think for UTEP to be successful this has to be the course, we will always be behind the talent curve against the likes of UT et al, but we can create a spot as a program by creating a street fighter identity, as we once were back in the day.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Still very high on Golding, not for the wins/losses perspective but from a team philosophy/identity standpoint. I though Terrys teams lacked something, a kind of toughness or confidence. That was evidence through much of last year as Golding worked with Terry's guys. But starting in the last 7 of eight games and in the Texas loss on Monday a "tough" mentality started to emerge. I think for UTEP to be successful this has to be the course, we will always be behind the talent curve against the likes of UT et al, but we can create a spot as a program by creating a street fighter identity, as we once were back in the day.

Umm.... UAB????

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT