ADVERTISEMENT

Spring game: Legends Demps vs Hernandez

15 WR with Kan Thomas labeled as MB. What is MB on Offense and B on defense?

MB is the Miner Back. Its like a Slasher Position that can line up in various spots.

The B is for Bandit and it is a position on Defense, not sure what they do.

The guy that really jumped out to me at Practice was Tray Dunson. I didn't know his name until this Roster came out. But he is very good.

Names to know. Based on Practice these guys took majority of the reps and targets.

0 Ashton Nickleberry WR
1 Trey Goodman WR
3 Jaden Smith WR
8 Emari White WR
5 Kam Thomas WR
4 Jevon Jackson RB
21 Marquez Taylor RB
9 Skyler Locklear QB
11 Cade McConnell QB

The guys I am trying to figure out:

24 Mike Franklin RB
22 Ezell Jolly RB
7 Marcus Bellon WR
82 Marcus Vinson TE
16 Seth Mouser QB
72 Tyrone McDuffie OL

Franklin got reps in practice but seemed like he was RB3. I was impressed with Jolly last year but I did't see him on the field the days I was there. Maybe banged up. Bellon, IMO, is as dangerous as anyone but seemed to be behind the guys above. Vinson looks like the guy at TE but I haven't seen him do much more than block. Mouser did not take alot of snaps and is already behind Pickles. McDuffie is the former Colorado Commit who lost his spot when Primetime arrived. He's from Parkland HS. He's a guy I was rooting for but he didn't do alot.

Battles to Watch

Kicker - I don't know if Flabiano has won this job
Outside WR - There is talent and depth in the slot, but Outside guys are still a ?
Center - There were some snap issues with the 2nd unit.

UTEP going into today’s spring game all excited on Coach Scotty.😂😂😂

MB is the Miner Back. Its like a Slasher Position that can line up in various spots.

The B is for Bandit and it is a position on Defense, not sure what they do.

The guy that really jumped out to me at Practice was Tray Dunson. I didn't know his name until this Roster came out. But he is very good.

Names to know. Based on Practice these guys took majority of the reps and targets.

0 Ashton Nickleberry WR
1 Trey Goodman WR
3 Jaden Smith WR
8 Emari White WR
5 Kam Thomas WR
4 Jevon Jackson RB
21 Marquez Taylor RB
9 Skyler Locklear QB
11 Cade McConnell QB

The guys I am trying to figure out:

24 Mike Franklin RB
22 Ezell Jolly RB
7 Marcus Bellon WR
82 Marcus Vinson TE
16 Seth Mouser QB
72 Tyrone McDuffie OL

Franklin got reps in practice but seemed like he was RB3. I was impressed with Jolly last year but I did't see him on the field the days I was there. Maybe banged up. Bellon, IMO, is as dangerous as anyone but seemed to be behind the guys above. Vinson looks like the guy at TE but I haven't seen him do much more than block. Mouser did not take alot of snaps and is already behind Pickles. McDuffie is the former Colorado Commit who lost his spot when Primetime arrived. He's from Parkland HS. He's a guy I was rooting for but he didn't do alot.

Battles to Watch

Kicker - I don't know if Flabiano has won this job
Outside WR - There is talent and depth in the slot, but Outside guys are still a ?
Center - There were some snap issues with the 2nd unit.

Summing this post up. The WR’s mentioned above all showed ability. I think Emari White and Jaden Smith both did great things and scored. Kam Thomas showed off his speed on a bubble screen on which was an otherwise quiet day. McConnell outplayed Locklear but Locklear showed he can make plays with his legs. Pickles is the third QB as I have said before and he played well I thought.

Both teams tried to establish the run without much success. Not sure if the Starting Olines were mixed but either way, Oline play left a lot to be desired.

The other list. Mike Franklin I think had 1 carry. He was the 4th RB behind Jackson, Dye, and Taylor. Jolly had a few carries late in the game, one for about 12. But he lined up as a slot wr a few times. Vinson was the guy at TE but none of the TE’s stood out catching the ball. They did block in the run game. Walden said in the clinic that QB and TE have to learn the most in this offense. Bellon played quite a few snaps but didn’t do a lot. Dropped a punt. Mouser played but was indecisive. He’s QB4. McDuffie and the Oline struggled.

As far as battles. The WR group lined up in several spots, inside and out. Thought they stole the show.

The Punters disappointed. That might be an area of concern. The kickoffs weren’t deep by the kickers. It was windy. I said to watch out for bad snaps. There were only 2 or 3 but one was bad and costly.

Highs- wr play and tempo

Lows- punting and run game

Agree with your analysis. Punters were horrendous. Running game was unimaginable. Maybe on purpose?
Thought McConnell was the best QB by far. Accurate, decisive and most important in charge.
I’m sure we didn’t see a lot of the offensive plays, but nice to see an offense that doesn’t take 23 seconds to call a time out.
Defense didn’t look all that impressive but there were some good plays. With the teams being split up, no way of telling what the true product is going to be. Starters were mixed between the two teams.
Players looked like they enjoyed being out on the field. This was more of a of “ pr game” to draw fan interest. Hope it works! I enjoy the morning. Didn’t get to the sale as there was about two hundred people in line and had other things to do.. Hope it went well!

Summing this post up. The WR’s mentioned above all showed ability. I think Emari White and Jaden Smith both did great things and scored. Kam Thomas showed off his speed on a bubble screen on which was an otherwise quiet day. McConnell outplayed Locklear but Locklear showed he can make plays with his legs. Pickles is the third QB as I have said before and he played well I thought.

Both teams tried to establish the run without much success. Not sure if the Starting Olines were mixed but either way, Oline play left a lot to be desired.

The other list. Mike Franklin I think had 1 carry. He was the 4th RB behind Jackson, Dye, and Taylor. Jolly had a few carries late in the game, one for about 12. But he lined up as a slot wr a few times. Vinson was the guy at TE but none of the TE’s stood out catching the ball. They did block in the run game. Walden said in the clinic that QB and TE have to learn the most in this offense. Bellon played quite a few snaps but didn’t do a lot. Dropped a punt. Mouser played but was indecisive. He’s QB4. McDuffie and the Oline struggled.

As far as battles. The WR group lined up in several spots, inside and out. Thought they stole the show.

The Punters disappointed. That might be an area of concern. The kickoffs weren’t deep by the kickers. It was windy. I said to watch out for bad snaps. There were only 2 or 3 but one was bad and costly.

Highs- wr play and tempo

Lows- punting and run game

So do you think Walden should go after a experience QB transfer?

Given that they are playing against each other, I think it's hard to give a assessment on how they looked. However, I feel like Walden and UTEP athletics had a very successful spring game. That was by far the largest spring game crowd that I have ever seen AND they paid $5 to enter, which was a first. The garage sale definitely brought in some revenue as well. I don't think a spring game has ever generated this much excitement. Hope our top recruiting targets that attended enjoyed themselves.

Not much to take away from a spring game. Locklear is a really good runner and McConnell has a pretty accurate arm.

Jaden Smith and Emari White look like playmakers. Jevon Jackson looked pretty solid too. Looking forward to seeing what this team looks like against Nebraska.

One thing about playing fast is you’re usually simple. They were much more deliberate in situations. Red Zone, Goal line 3rd Down etc….

Not much to take away from a spring game. Locklear is a really good runner and McConnell has a pretty accurate arm.

Jaden Smith and Emari White look like playmakers. Jevon Jackson looked pretty solid too. Looking forward to seeing what this team looks like against Nebraska.
I agree. McConnell and Locklear showed their strengths and weaknesses in this offense, but if I had to pick I’d take McConnell today just because he has the better arm. Also it’s a FACT these punters are horrific. I know Walden wants to snap the ball every 12 seconds, but if God forbid this offense is going three and out and using up less than a minute of clock he may second guess his tempo if he’s handing it over to those kickers. Even that opening kickoff, Flabiano didn’t get it close to the end zone. That is the biggest concern I saw this game. Everything else, you can’t discern if the offense was good or if the defense was bad.

Reactions: kickballpro

Miners will not “catch” Nebraska. Just get that thought out of your head.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT