ADVERTISEMENT

Spring game roll call

I have been a Kugler supporter, but I am concerned for him after this Spring Game. The passing game has not progressed to where it should have, especially after a full set of spring ball practices. We run a basic condensed route scheme, which rarely simultaeneously challenges DB's beyond 10 yards on both sides of the hash marks. This is then combined with WR's who fail to create a lot of separation, and the end result is an inconsistent and somewhat poor passing game. This is not an exageration, but 75% of our passes last night were as the QB was on the move, scrambling to the right, outside of the pocket, trying to hit targets that were all within 15 yards of eachother. We play 8 teams this season that went to Bowl Games last year and the passing game that we had last night will make it very hard to be succesful against quality teams. I do trust Metz as our QB and Juniel looked better as a WR, but I was disapointed overall in the progress that our passing game has made.

The defense may be somewhat improved and Kugler has brought in some actual promising young defensive talent, especially along the d-line. Michael Lewis is also back and looked good out there, him and Cockrell at Safety should give us a nice duo this year.

Dove looked promising at RB, but then got hurt(hopefully it was just an ankle). Wadley might be out for next year, so Josh Fields will have his chance as a true Freshman. Awatt got the majority of the workload and it will be interesting to see how they use Dawn at RB, if used "properly" then Dawn could potentially do some exciting things in that role.

Both new TE's looked promising, especially Weeks.

In summary, we have some pieces, but I really hope that our offense becomes much more effective than last night when the season starts.

I have said this since he was hired, and I hope I am wrong but our offense isn't going to get any better!!

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/10063632/florida-gators-fire-embattled-brent-pease

3 straight years he led the Florida gators who can get anyone they want practically to triple digit offensive rankings.... one year had injuries sure but the other two?

And the thing is I remember watching some of those gator teams play... they were awful, boring , not creative at all as it seemed the defense knew the playcall before the offense.... it scared me when they hired him here and I would LOVE TO BE wrong but I don't think our offense is going to get any better!

Questions because I'm not really a football guy.

1) Why move Dawn to RB? Isn't he way too small? Why not move Dove to full back and run him more in the two back set? I am glad that Kavika has moved to WR full time. If I see another wildcat play I might vomit.
2) I forget the name of the other RB that is waiting to qualify, but I would think that he has as much potential as any of the guys on the team or Josh Fields. Any news on him or the 6'7" DE?

Questions because I'm not really a football guy.

1) Why move Dawn to RB? Isn't he way too small? Why not move Dove to full back and run him more in the two back set? I am glad that Kavika has moved to WR full time. If I see another wildcat play I might vomit.
2) I forget the name of the other RB that is waiting to qualify, but I would think that he has as much potential as any of the guys on the team or Josh Fields. Any news on him or the 6'7" DE?

Dawn to running back because wadley is out for the season. I actually like the move. He can be used as a weapon in the passing game and has a third down back. Still good depth at running back we should be ok.

Keith sullivan should be eligible this fall. He is Kugler's best recruit to date and will help out immediately on the d-line

Dupree is the back I think you're talking about. I dont think there is much hope of him becoming eligible.

Reactions: axingfools1
Kugler said that he might add another RB. My thinking was that he was referring to Dupree?, but that is just a guess.

Also I failed to mention that I liked how Mark Torrez looked out there. He is still a ways away, but he has some good tools, like good feet and he also does a good job of keeping his eyes downfield.

I also saw Luke Elsner in the stands in normal clothes, so I am guessing his career is over?

Kugler said that he might add another RB. My thinking was that he was referring to Dupree?, but that is just a guess.

Also I failed to mention that I liked how Mark Torrez looked out there. He is still a ways away, but he has some good tools, like good feet and he also does a good job of keeping his eyes downfield.

I also saw Luke Elsner in the stands in normal clothes, so I am guessing his career is over?
I saw that Eddie Sinegal is having eligibility issues. I think he is our best receiver by a wide margin. Does anyone know his status for next year? I assume he was held out of spring practice.

When Spring Ball started, it was mentioned that Sinegal and Van Hook would both be sitting out the beginning of Spring Ball to focus on their grades. Both were expected to begin practicing after Spring Break, but neither did. So that's obviously not a good sign, as they didn't progress as expected. Not sure about current situation, but those were two of our better Freshmen last season.

Thanks for the clarification on that UTEPDefense, I missed that on both guys. Losing those two would hurt big time. They are both playmakers on both sides of the ball. Last year on offense I thought the receivers struggled enormously in getting open. While our QB play was spotty, they need guys who can get open to even attempt to open things up. Our offensive line also needs to find a way to play better early. I thought the offensive line play started off horribly against Nmsu at home last year, and effectively ended any chance for Greenlee. Pass protection improved somewhat later on in the year, but the offensive line needs to be a clear strength to have any realistic chance this year.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
Thanks for the clarification on that UTEPDefense, I missed that on both guys. Losing those two would hurt big time. They are both playmakers on both sides of the ball. Last year on offense I thought the receivers struggled enormously in getting open. While our QB play was spotty, they need guys who can get open to even attempt to open things up. Our offensive line also needs to find a way to play better early. I thought the offensive line play started off horribly against Nmsu at home last year, and effectively ended any chance for Greenlee. Pass protection improved somewhat later on in the year, but the offensive line needs to be a clear strength to have any realistic chance this year.

I thought the biggest problem with o-line last year was the play at tackle. Both tackles struggled mightily last year. At several points in the season they were getting beat by pure speed rushes. The d-ends were getting by them before they were even out of their stances. It was the poorest tackle play ive seen in a long time. Our interior oline is above average probably best in cusa. I think one of the tackle positions will be sured up by long. He has great length and athleticism. He probably got thrown into the fire to soon. Very tough to ask a true freshman to start at tackle. I think he will be much improved this year and will become a very good player. The other tackle looks like it will be jared brooks. We will see how much he has developed in the offseason. The interior of the oline is great, the offense will be helped greatly if we can some decent play from the two tackles.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT