ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Bowl renovations

How many events does the Don Haskins Center Host each year?

My Guess is around 120? 40-50 Graduations per year. 60 or so Basketball Games. And then 20ish other events.

Reactions: Lil_Train
El Paso Matters said that the Project may reach $200 million if they can get the first 99 million from taxpayers.

The County said they need a Billion Dollars for improvements they want but can only ask for 500 million without negatively affecting their credit.

The Pit in Albuquerque had a major renovation in 2011 and it came out awesome. It’s an amazing facility now.

My reservation on the Sun Bowl is the renovation isn’t going to wow anyone because it’s mostly the stuff that is out of sight that’s getting a facelift.

My second reservation is that I don’t think the Sun Bowl will get 8 stadium shows a year. There isn’t 8 Acts capable of touring stadiums. The biggest Stadiums host NFL/College/Tours/and International Soccer. The Sun Bowl isn’t that facility.

A major renovation to the Don could bring bring in probably 20 more shows a year because there are a lot more artist capable of touring arenas.
A major renovation to the DHC world be to tear it down and rebuild it with loading docks for concert setup/tear down and seating flexibility. It might help attract more shows and special events.

An arena is a waste without a real tenant. You don’t build an arena to host NCAA tournament games once every 4 years. You don’t build an arena to host UFC/WWE/AEW events once every year.
The question now becomes do we invest 100 million into a football stadium to hopefully get 6-8 events a year or do we go all in on an arena to get 60 dates a year?

Reactions: kickballpro
I bet they would have to structurally reinforce the Sun Bowl to handle a roof. If that was ever an option this could be one of those projects that spirals out of control. If that were ever to be a possibility I bet they would look at tearing down the Sun Bowl and building a new stadium all together with modern amenities.

Putting a roof on the sun bowl is unrealistic and would ruin it's appeal.
Rebuilding the Don would probably cost more than the 99 million Wilson is asking for.
I doubt this will make it to a vote, and if it does it will be voted down.
The biggest problem is that what is proposed is not what the fans want. Chair back seats- led lights- updated sound system and Wi-Fi.
Why try to make improvements on the chance of getting a few concerts instead of taking care of those who support Utep year after year.

Rebuilding the Don would probably cost more than the 99 million Wilson is asking for.
The biggest problem is that what is proposed is not what the fans want. Chair back seats- led lights- updated sound system and Wi-Fi.
Why try to make improvements on the chance of getting a few concerts instead of taking care of those who support Utep year after year.
And what appeal does the Sun Bowl have now???? Surely you’re joking. Nobody is attending a Sun Bowl event because it’s inside a mountain or the “view” some seats have.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
And what appeal does the Sun Bowl have now???? Surely you’re joking. Nobody is attending a Sun Bowl event because it’s inside a mountain or the “view” some seats have.
I think any major renovation of the Sun Bowl is not practica, especially when we’re talking about UTEP football of all things being the main tenant. It’s one thing if we’re talking an NFL team that players 8-9 games plus preseason and playoffs, and MLS team that plays 20+ games a year. But UTEP football only plays 6 or 7 games a year tops. Then you add our supposed 6-8 events a year plus monster trucks and a Sun Bowl? That’s less than 20 events a year. .

In a perfect world I think a joint venture of some sort with UTEP to build an arena to replace the DHC would something that would be both practical and beneficial to everyone.

The Pit Renovation/remodel was $60 million 13 years ago and was exceptional. I think 100 million is not that far off

An arena is a waste without a real tenant. You don’t build an arena to host NCAA tournament games once every 4 years. You don’t build an arena to host UFC/WWE/AEW events once every year.
Who said build a new Arena!?!?!?!? Where did you read that? I'm pretty sure no one including myself said build a new Arena! I clearly stated that since the Arena project folded, that it'd be better to have money go to improving the DHC to be in the position to get those type of events. Obviously if the miners are playing in it, possible CUSA Tourney, NCAA Tourney and more concerts it's being used.

Who said build a new Arena!?!?!?!? Where did you read that? I'm pretty sure no one including myself said build a new Arena! I clearly stated that since the Arena project folded, that it'd be better to have money go to improving the DHC to be in the position to get those type of events. Obviously if the miners are playing in it, possible CUSA Tourney, NCAA Tourney and more concerts it's being used.
I’m sure it’s been brought up before but how does the city go about shifting money allocated to the “multipurpose performance art center/not an arena” to another project? Would that not require a vote ?

I’m sure it’s been brought up before but how does the city go about shifting money allocated to the “multipurpose performance art center/not an arena” to another project? Would that not require a vote ?
Yes, I absolutely don't believe it will or even could happen. My original point or question was how is UTEP able to ask for money for the Sun Bowl and not the DHC. However it was explained that the Sun Bowl is owned by the city I believe and the DHC is owned by UTEP. That's how I understood it at least.

Last edited:
Yes, I absolutely do t believe it will or even could happen. My original point or question was how is UTEP able to ask for money for the Sun Bowl and not the DHC. However it was explained that the Sun Bowl is owned by the city I believe and the DHC is owned by UTEP. That's how I understood it at least.

UTEP took ownership of the Sun Bowl in 2001. I guess you can ask for county bond money to upgrade a privately owned facility.

Looking back at UTEP’s decision to take possession of the Sun Bowl in 2001 maybe this would have been an easier sell if the County still owned the stadium. But there is a strong possibility the county wouldn’t have made the improvements UTEP has made up till this point. It could have been The County Coliseum 2.0

Reactions: picks up
Im 50/50 on this passing. On one hand people are clueless and they vote yes for anything. Look at how the vast majority of bonds pass, and immediately El Pasoans complain that their taxes went up. That tells me they’re either read up on the issue and they’re too dumb to understand how bonds work or they voted yes blindly. But on the other hand I was shocked that the green initiative passed because people were clamoring loudly for that to pass, but there was an equally loud campaign against it which managed to win out.

But as I’m writing this I’m thinking this may pass because I don’t think there will be this massive campaign against this bond. So people will probably see it, say “Bond to upgrade the Sun Bowl? 🤔🤔Sure….” Not realizing UTEP owns the stadium and not the county.

Last edited:
Im 50/50 on this passing. On one hand people are clueless and they vote yes for anything. Look at how the vast majority of bonds pass, and immediately El Pasoans complain that their taxes went up. That tells me they’re either read up on the issue and they’re too dumb to understand how bonds work or they voted yes blindly. But on the other hand I was shocked that the green initiative passed because people were clamoring loudly for that to pass, but there was an equally loud campaign against it which managed to win out.

But as I’m writing this I’m thinking this may pass because I don’t think there will be this massive campaign against this bond. So people will probably see it, say “Bond to upgrade the Sun Bowl? 🤔🤔Sure….” Not realizing UTEP owns the stadium and not the county.
What if Grossman seeks to preserve the original electrical systems because it was manufactured in the back warehouse of the Laundromat from Durangito? If Grossman gets involved, there's no chance at all.

Hold on Miner fans... You know that El Paso will always votes "YES" on the next big new shinning thing.. And this update to the field fills that bucket perfectly...
its about time, we get this done..

What if Grossman seeks to preserve the original electrical systems because it was manufactured in the back warehouse of the Laundromat from Durangito? If Grossman gets involved, there's no chance at all.
Eff that guy. Our taxes went up and we have nothing to show for it because he wanted to save some stupid laundromat.

Eff that guy. Our taxes went up and we have nothing to show for it because he wanted to save some stupid laundromat.
Sure, but much of the blame is on the city as well. Why didn’t the city do its due diligence and pick a different site? Downtown is downtown is it not? Even after all the bullshit, Grossman gave them several different downtown sites that his buddies were fine with putting an arena there.

The city decided to lock in on Durangito. Why? Why couldn’t they have just put the arena in another part of Downtown? The city is also guilty of this arena debacle.

Sure, but much of the blame is on the city as well. Why didn’t the city do its due diligence and pick a different site? Downtown is downtown is it not? Even after all the bullshit, Grossman gave them several different downtown sites that his buddies were fine with putting an arena there.

The city decided to lock in on Durangito. Why? Why couldn’t they have just put the arena in another part of Downtown? The city is also guilty of this arena debacle.
They absolutely deserve their share of the blame, especially when they didn’t word the arena correctly on the ballot. But what did we all gain in the end? We’re all years older, Duraguito is still a dump and we still have no arena.

What other part of downtown?

Reactions: TxRdKiller
UTEP needs to upgrade the Sun Bowl, but should tax payers foot the bill? What’s my return on investment? Especially when these projects mostly benefit UTEP Athletics. I think these upgrades sound good but if I were to vote for everything over again, I’d take an arena in a heartbeat. That’s what this city needs. All of those acts plus events like WWE Monday Night Raw/Smackdown can be held in a multipurpose arena. Plus what concerts can the the Sun Bowl attract that the new outdoor theatre in the NE can’t?
If UTEP had allowed the high schools more accessibility to use the athletic facilities, would people be more open to use public money? Better yet, if athletics had renovated the other facilities out of pocket especially during the Natalicio era the taxpayers may be more willing to open its pockets?

If UTEP had allowed the high schools more accessibility to use the athletic facilities, would people be more open to use public money? Better yet, if athletics had renovated the other facilities out of pocket especially during the Natalicio era the taxpayers may be more willing to open its pockets?
Yes I think so. And if the city hadn't botched the arena and if it didn't take to long to build/complete projects either.

Reactions: Dmanminer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT