ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Bowl renovations

Hot For Keitha

All Star
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2012
Heather Wilson is about to ask taxpayers to pony up for renovations.

Expect an announcement tomorrow. UTEP asking for $100 million through the county but wanted $200 million.

No details on specific upgrades, only that they're supposed to "increase tourism, retail spending and jobs in the city... as well as attract more a-list entertainment acts."

Last edited:
Heather Wilson is about to ask taxpayers to pony up for renovations.

Expect an announcement tomorrow. UTEP asking for $100 million... through the county but wanted $200 million.

No details on specific upgrades, only that they're supposed to "increase tourism, retail spending and jobs in the city... as well as attract more a-list entertainment acts."
Sounds like a multipurpose entertainment center. Better check the wording.

Here are the proposed upgrades to the Sun Bowl:

• Driveable field cover system required by top acts
  • All electrical system upgrades to power A-list shows that currently pass on El Paso
  • Improved entrance for 18-wheelers to access the Sun Bowl
  • New convention center area (fits 1,000 people) in South Entrance
  • Upgrades to the locker rooms in the South Entrance
  • Improved bathrooms and concession areas
  • Accessibility improvements for people in wheelchairs
  • Scoreboard revamp

Read More: Sun Bowl Upgrades Are Necessary; Will El Paso Back the 'Uplift'? | https://krod.com/sun-bowl-upgrades-...plift/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

Let’s see here

• All electrical system upgrades to power A-list shows that currently pass on El Paso
  • Scoreboard revamp
Basically fans will get improved bathroom and concession areas and a scoreboard revamp. If you’re lucky, you don’t have to worry about the wheelchair stuff. All those other things aren’t for the customer.

What proof do they have that top acts will come here once the Sun Bowl gets those things? What top act said no to the Sun Bowl because of its current state?

It’s not the stadium, it’s the city it’s located in.

Here are the proposed upgrades to the Sun Bowl:

• Scoreboard revamp

Read More: Sun Bowl Upgrades Are Necessary; Will El Paso Back the 'Uplift'? | https://krod.com/sun-bowl-upgrades-...plift/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral
City or County? Based on the recent history with the arena, school district administrative abuse and inability to upkeep the city I can't see how the majority of voters will vote yes.

My only concern is if the a list acts will even come here with the proposed upgrades.

The Sun Bowl was suppose to host big soccer matches when they made those upgrades near the end zones to allow for corner kicks and the soccer matches have been a giant yawn since the upgrades.

Sounds like mostly infrastructure. Shocked not to see LED lights. El Paso Matters saying that the project could be as much as $200 million. Seems like a lot more can be done for that amount. Kinda underwhelming.

As far as being able to have better 18 wheeler access. That seems like something the UT System or Veronica Escobar can lobby for.

The 8 Stadium Acts per year at a value of 3 billion Dollars.

Where did they get that number from? Are there 8 stadium tour Acts? I doubt AT&T or Alligient has 8 stadium concerts. They have NFL and College Football, and Major international Soccer, but 8 Stadium Tours is happening

Sounds like mostly infrastructure. Shocked not to see LED lights. El Paso Matters saying that the project could be as much as $200 million. Seems like a lot more can be done for that amount. Kinda underwhelming.

As far as being able to have better 18 wheeler access. That seems like something the UT System or Veronica Escobar can lobby for.

The 8 Stadium Acts per year at a value of 3 billion Dollars.

Where did they get that number from? Are there 8 stadium tour Acts? I doubt AT&T or Alligient has 8 stadium concerts. They have NFL and College Football, and Major international Soccer, but 8 Stadium Tours is happening
Luis Miguel, Ricky Martin, Shakira, Peso Pluma, Pitbull, Bad Bunny, J-Balvin and George Lopez. Boom!

UTEP needs to upgrade the Sun Bowl, but should tax payers foot the bill? What’s my return on investment? Especially when these projects mostly benefit UTEP Athletics. I think these upgrades sound good but if I were to vote for everything over again, I’d take an arena in a heartbeat. That’s what this city needs. All of those acts plus events like WWE Monday Night Raw/Smackdown can be held in a multipurpose arena. Plus what concerts can the the Sun Bowl attract that the new outdoor theatre in the NE can’t?

Luis Miguel, Ricky Martin, Shakira, Peso Pluma, Pitbull, Bad Bunny, J-Balvin and George Lopez. Boom!
Out of curiosity I looked at Peso Pluma, Luis Miguel and Bunny’s tour dates. Aside from an outdoor festival here and there they are all playing indoor arenas. I don’t think these upgrades are going to be enough to tempt stadium acts like Taylor Swift, The Rolling Stones etc to consistently come to the region. Nor are we going to lure major sporting events because The Sun Bowl can’t compete with NFL stadiums. Plus, how many cities have now shifted to indoor football stadiums? I bet touring acts prefer the amenities and comforts of performing in a climate controlled arena.

UTEP needs to upgrade the Sun Bowl, but should tax payers foot the bill? What’s my return on investment? Especially when these projects mostly benefit UTEP Athletics. I think these upgrades sound good but if I were to vote for everything over again, I’d take an arena in a heartbeat. That’s what this city needs. All of those acts plus events like WWE Monday Night Raw/Smackdown can be held in a multipurpose arena. Plus what concerts can the the Sun Bowl attract that the new outdoor theatre in the NE can’t?
Any big shows, they aren't coming for 10,000 people.

Out of curiosity I looked at Peso Pluma, Luis Miguel and Bunny’s tour dates. Aside from an outdoor festival here and there they are all playing indoor arenas. I don’t think these upgrades are going to be enough to tempt stadium acts like Taylor Swift, The Rolling Stones etc to consistently come to the region. Nor are we going to lure major sporting events because The Sun Bowl can’t compete with NFL stadiums. Plus, how many cities have now shifted to indoor football stadiums? I bet touring acts prefer the amenities and comforts of performing in a climate controlled arena.
Agree. I was being facetious.

That’s funny. AT&T stadium has 2 this summer, Morgan Wallen and Zach Bryan. State Farm in Phoenix has 1, Luke Combs, Denver has Zach Bryan, Rolling Stones, Kenny Chesney and Foo Fighters.

I don’t know where they get 8 Stadium Concerts number from. Even the biggest cities aren’t doing 8. And those are bigger venues with seats and not bleachers.

Just like the Soccer configuration, they are overestimated what these changes will bring in value.

That’s funny. AT&T stadium has 2 this summer, Morgan Wallen and Zach Bryan. State Farm in Phoenix has 1, Luke Combs, Denver has Zach Bryan, Rolling Stones, Kenny Chesney and Foo Fighters.

I don’t know where they get 8 Stadium Concerts number from. Even the biggest cities aren’t doing 8. And those are bigger venues with seats and not bleachers.

Just like the Soccer configuration, they are overestimated what these changes will bring in value.
Maybe they are trying to sell it as a concert upgrade but it's more for athletics? I hope UTEP gets what they want but this one is strange

Reactions: kickballpro
Any big shows, they aren't coming for 10,000 people.
I agree. But look at the schedule for the Frost Bank Center in San Antonio (19k) and the American Airlines Center in Dallas (20k). Even the Dickies Arena in Ft Worth (14k for concerts). They’re constantly booked and acts are running through there year round. Trying to justify 100 million for maybe, 8 events a year is bad logic. If we’re talking about luring good events to the city we need a 15-20k seat arena before putting money into renovating football locker rooms and video boards. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dmanminer
That’s exactly what it is. Walden and Wilson know they can’t raise the money for these renovations so they’re trying to get voters to foot the bill.
I would think Senter the person in charge of athletic infrastructure fundraising. Maybe he is working on the other $100M? 😃

These types of concerts. It’s pretty sad that the list ISN'T more than 16. Huge gap from 2017-2023 and 2006-2010-2014

I used to briefly work the setup/take down clean up crew after those events. Can only imagine the infrastructure (stage set ups, heavy duty mats that cover the turf, dressing room adjustments for the artists “riders” etc etc

200w.gif

Reactions: JCorona
These types of concerts. It’s pretty sad that the list ISN'T more than 16. Huge gap from 2017-2023 and 2006-2010-2014

I used to briefly work the setup/take down clean up crew after those events. Can only imagine the infrastructure (stage set ups, heavy duty mats that cover the turf, dressing room adjustments for the artists “riders” etc etc
10 Concerts in 20 years just isn’t enough. I checked out AT&T and they’ve got 5 concerts scheduled for 2024 and they had 11 concerts in 2023. The Dickes Arena has 49 concerts scheduled for 2024, and that’s not counting Lacrosse and the circus events. To me, the arena seems like a better use of taxpayer money, but it’s a shame the stupid city screwed that up.

I’m curious to know: if the vote were today how would you guys vote?

Personally, as a Miner fan i say yes. But as a taxpayer I have to say no. I would rather the city prioritize building an arena.

I usually always vote yes for new things, upgrades, better quality of life etc. Right now I would have to vote NO.

So ....... If this request can be made by UTEP..... Can someone explain why a similar request to improve and expand the Don Haskins center can't be made? This literally would solve the Arena issue and bring better concerts and sporting events including NCAA Tournaments Games!

Last edited:
So ....... If this request can be made by UTEP..... Can someone explain why a similar request to improve and expand the Don Haskins center can't be made? This literally would solve the Arena issue and being better concerts and sporting events including NCAA Tournaments Games!

My guess is that the County Built the Sun Bowl and the University Built the Don Haskins Center.

I was under the impression that UTEP took over the Sun Bowl through Eminent Domain.

My guess is that the County Built the Sun Bowl and the University Built the Don Haskins Center.

I was under the impression that UTEP took over the Sun Bowl through Eminent Domain.

I don't live in EP so my comments are simply well intentioned.

IF I lived in EP I would vote YES but only IF the powers-that-be would create a true, real, partnership between UTEP (the university system) and the City of El Paso. The Sun Bowl can't sit unused for 300 days every year.

The Sun Bowl is there. Fvcking use it.

So ....... If this request can be made by UTEP..... Can someone explain why a similar request to improve and expand the Don Haskins center can't be made? This literally would solve the Arena issue and being better concerts and sporting events including NCAA Tournaments Games!
I agree. If the UT System owns both the Sun Bowl and the Don Haskins Center, which I think is the case, Wilson should have approached the County for funding for improvements to the Haskins Center first, which make more sense for the reasons you mentioned. Also, the timing for the request couldn't have been worse given the NSF grant suspension, and the potential loss of revenue county wide. It is tough to see the Sun Bowl improvement initiative even making it to the ballot to be voted on.

Would yall rather pay higher taxes or higher ticket prices? Idk it all sounds like a scam.
If this fails at the vote I think UTEP should raise ticket prices. But now the question becomes how much do you raise tickets because it will take years for UTEP to make the money. If UTEP averages 15k fans, and let’s say they raise every ticket 10 dollars. It would take 660 games for them to make 99 million dollars. So if this fails this is a dead issue.

Reactions: minerfan_14
I'm a hard no. Why isn't senter raising money to fund this? Wasn't that supposed to be his specialty? Some of the "improvements" are directly related to football. They don't give a crap about how we feel about staying with losing coaches for many years, so go raise the money yourself. We are already taxed out our ass, no new taxes!

I'm a hard no. Why isn't senter raising money to fund this? Wasn't that supposed to be his specialty? Some of the "improvements" are directly related to football. They don't give a crap about how we feel about staying with losing coaches for many years, so go raise the money yourself. We are already taxed out our ass, no new taxes!

El Paso Matters said that the Project may reach $200 million if they can get the first 99 million from taxpayers.

The County said they need a Billion Dollars for improvements they want but can only ask for 500 million without negatively affecting their credit.

The Pit in Albuquerque had a major renovation in 2011 and it came out awesome. It’s an amazing facility now.

My reservation on the Sun Bowl is the renovation isn’t going to wow anyone because it’s mostly the stuff that is out of sight that’s getting a facelift.

My second reservation is that I don’t think the Sun Bowl will get 8 stadium shows a year. There isn’t 8 Acts capable of touring stadiums. The biggest Stadiums host NFL/College/Tours/and International Soccer. The Sun Bowl isn’t that facility.

A major renovation to the Don could bring bring in probably 20 more shows a year because there are a lot more artist capable of touring arenas.

El Paso Matters said that the Project may reach $200 million if they can get the first 99 million from taxpayers.

The County said they need a Billion Dollars for improvements they want but can only ask for 500 million without negatively affecting their credit.

The Pit in Albuquerque had a major renovation in 2011 and it came out awesome. It’s an amazing facility now.

My reservation on the Sun Bowl is the renovation isn’t going to wow anyone because it’s mostly the stuff that is out of sight that’s getting a facelift.

My second reservation is that I don’t think the Sun Bowl will get 8 stadium shows a year. There isn’t 8 Acts capable of touring stadiums. The biggest Stadiums host NFL/College/Tours/and International Soccer. The Sun Bowl isn’t that facility.

A major renovation to the Don could bring bring in probably 20 more shows a year because there are a lot more artist capable of touring arenas.
Not too mention NCAA Tourney Games and other possible Sporting Events!

All great points. Thing is the city/county keeps taking and taking. Where do we get anything? Our taxes will go up AND ticket prices will increase. I'm just jaded when it comes to anything government does anymore. While no doubt the SB and Don need upgrades, and the things listed are probably due, why not list things that will wow the community?
This won't pass.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT