ADVERTISEMENT

TEAMS ANNOUCNED FOR 56TH ANNUAL WESTSTAR BANK DON HASKINS SUN BOWL INVITATIONAL

It's not as if this is some big surprise. In the last 11 tournaments only one P5 team has made an appearance. In 2012 when Nebraska and Doc Sadler visited. One would think that Nebraska and Sadler returning after the way he left would draw a good crowd but only around 7500 bought tickets to that game. The last time two P5 teams participated in the tournament was 1994 with Texas and Washington St. In the 1991-1992 season Clemson and Texas played here. The championship game involved UTEP vs Texas but only 8200 showed up. That was the same season UTEP won it's last NCAA tournament games so we had a very good team. It's complicated to predict the turnout regardless of the teams involved and the condition of the UTEP team.

I'm going to throw this out there because it's worth mentioning. Back in '92, 8500 in attendance meant 8500 in attendance.

In this day and age, it is no exaggeration to say that arenas will bump attendance up by several thousand. It is no longer how many attended, but rather tickets sold, promotional tix given away, etc.

I remember a game from MinerTV this last season where attendance was quoted at around 6000. By the look of things, I'd have guessed 2000...tops. I had never seen the Don so empty in all my life.

Oops I missed that one. I didn't know northwestern competed in the big 10. Their name sounds like one of those directional schools we lost to last year.
Haha! Hey now, I went there. (Got my master's at UTEP, though.)

Northwestern also played in the Sun Bowl in 2005 as the last Big Ten rep.

Haha! Hey now, I went there. (Got my master's at UTEP, though.)

Northwestern also played in the Sun Bowl in 2005 as the last Big Ten rep.
Sorry I didn't mean any disrespect towards your alma mater. I genuinely don't keep up with the power schools outside the region.

Sorry I didn't mean any disrespect towards your alma mater. I genuinely don't keep up with the power schools outside the region.
Don't worry; I didn't take it that way. Northwestern has never exactly been a power in basketball. This last season they made headlines for making their first NCAA Tournament ever. (They've been to the NIT a bunch of times but this was their first NCAA Tourney appearance.) They won their first game over Vanderbilt (it was fun for a brief period to claim we were undefeated in our NCAA Tourney appearances) before losing a close one to Gonzaga in the second round.

So despite their long futility in basketball, did you know that Northwestern hosted the very first NCAA Final Four? They hosted the Final Four a second time, too, but they hosted the very first one. And yet they never even had a ticket to the Big Dance until last season. Pretty pathetic.

They are the only private school in the Big Ten, so they don't have a typical "state flagship" Big Ten name. The origin of the name comes from their founding mission to serve the people of the former Northwest Territory. The school is located just north of Chicago. They are a founding member of the Big Ten and have been there all along, but their sports programs have not always enjoyed success. Lots of famous people went there.(<-Link)

Reactions: JCorona
It's not as if this is some big surprise. In the last 11 tournaments only one P5 team has made an appearance. In 2012 when Nebraska and Doc Sadler visited. One would think that Nebraska and Sadler returning after the way he left would draw a good crowd but only around 7500 bought tickets to that game. The last time two P5 teams participated in the tournament was 1994 with Texas and Washington St. In the 1991-1992 season Clemson and Texas played here. The championship game involved UTEP vs Texas but only 8200 showed up. That was the same season UTEP won it's last NCAA tournament games so we had a very good team. It's complicated to predict the turnout regardless of the teams involved and the condition of the UTEP team.

Ugh.... I remember that tournament. That was where I learned to despise the team from Austin. Their coach was a very vocal Tom Penders.

Ugh.... I remember that tournament. That was where I learned to despise the team from Austin. Their coach was a very vocal Tom Penders.

Why "ugh"? We won that tourney. Up by 30 ish at one point, UT pulls to within 2 or 3, we hold on for the win. It was glorious!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT