ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Bowl tournament announced

Not sure how this tournament is hanging on financially. The teams suck to the non die hard fan which UTEP has completely lost in both major sports, and the association is recycling the same mid-major teams like I have been recycling females from the past since I recently became single again.

But the lack of sexy teams is not the issue imo, we all know we can't grab elite teams for this tourney so no need to cry about that, but the attendance has sucked for this tournament the past four years and its sad.

No one buys tickets anymore, no one shows up, there is no excitement for this, its time to scrap this tourney. I love the opportunity to watch four D-1 basketball games in two days right before the holidays, but this thing is turning into a sad joke. Plus UTEP has been the ragdoll program over the past four years.

I love the history, I love having a tournament here, but if no one cares, why continue to bring the same teams with the same lame duck results?

UTEP would be better off scheduling two guarantee road games, or schedule their own guarantee game, and go on the road for another to pick up some cash. It hurts to write this, but it's time to officially scrap the Sun Bowl Tourney for respect sake.

Not sure how this tournament is hanging on financially. The teams suck to the non die hard fan which UTEP has completely lost in both major sports, and the association is recycling the same mid-major teams like I have been recycling females from the past since I recently became single again.

But the lack of sexy teams is not the issue imo, we all know we can't grab elite teams for this tourney so no need to cry about that, but the attendance has sucked for this tournament the past four years and its sad.

No one buys tickets anymore, no one shows up, there is no excitement for this, its time to scrap this tourney. I love the opportunity to watch four D-1 basketball games in two days right before the holidays, but this thing is turning into a sad joke. Plus UTEP has been the ragdoll program over the past four years.

I love the history, I love having a tournament here, but if no one cares, why continue to bring the same teams with the same lame duck results?

UTEP would be better off scheduling two guarantee road games, or schedule their own guarantee game, and go on the road for another to pick up some cash. It hurts to write this, but it's time to officially scrap the Sun Bowl Tourney for respect sake.
Don't agree at all. The reason people aren't buying tickets for this tourney is the same reason they're not buying tickets for the rest of the UTEP games: because UTEP has sucked.

When UTEP is good, people will buy tickets to the tourney.

This tourney has always invited strong mid-major teams, teams that otherwise wouldn't have any reason to come play in El Paso. What attracts these teams is a chance to play another strong mid-major on a neutral court before playing UTEP. As I said, Kent St. has won the tournament during the Haskins years. Another year St. Joseph's won it during the Haskins years. Another year Detroit Mercy won it during the Haskins years.

And sometimes the tourney was able to attract a marquee team, and I get it, it's not so easy anymore. But it still attracts strong mid-majors, and until UTEP stops sucking, I really don't care so much if there's a marquee team. I want UTEP to be competitive against these strong mid-majors first.

UC Irvine won 31 games last season and won a game in the NCAA Tournament. Kent St. won over 20 games and was prestigious enough during the Haskins years to be invited and win the tournament one year. These types of teams have always been invited to the tournament; they're solid teams. I don't know why people are suddenly pretending that the tournament is worthless to be inviting such teams. I think the problem is that UTEP just sucks now and can't beat these types of teams anymore, and so people get frustrated.

Irvine came back to back years in 2015 and 2016 and Kent State was in it around that time too. I think Roy is saying that we’ve already see them and they’re nothing special. If the tournament can’t bring in new teams, what’s the point?

Irvine came back to back years in 2015 and 2016 and Kent State was in it around that time too. I think Roy is saying that we’ve already see them and they’re nothing special. If the tournament can’t bring in new teams, what’s the point?
And how many times did we invite Austin Peay during the Haskins years? Find a new reason to complain. You guys are so boring and trite. It's hardly worth reading your posts with the same complaints time after time.

Do you ever get invited to any parties? I really don't see how, all you do is complain and bitch about something

Ok old man. I’m younger than you and a lot smarter than you. I see I’ve struck a cord with you, as you keep replying to my posts. Going to put you on ignore. Go eat your prunes and bug someone else.

Ok old man. I’m younger than you and a lot smarter than you. I see I’ve struck a cord with you, as you keep replying to my posts. Going to put you on ignore. Go eat your prunes and bug someone else.

Dude, seriously. You're bitching about things of which you have NO knowledge. Like the proposed arena and such. Do your homework before you complain.

I wonder how much life this tournament has left. It is one of the few non-exempt tournaments around. I think if this tournament has a future it needs to be played at Fort Bliss, Juarez, or the Downtown arena and receive exempt status. Otherwise I agree with Big. The Miners are much better off going to some random Caribbean island than playing at the Don.

The worst thing about this tournament is that we haven't won in it while. The tournament has gone through 3 stages:

1) There used to be decent competition in it
2) then it became 2 easy wins for us
3) Now we have trouble winning a game in it

The worst thing about this tournament is that we haven't won in it while. The tournament has gone through 3 stages:

1) There used to be decent competition in it
2) then it became 2 easy wins for us
3) Now we have trouble winning a game in it
We used to be good. Potential opponents feared us but felt no shame in losing to us, thus we had no problem finding elite teams to invite. In recent times we have been rotten, resulting in rotten attendance, resulting in sub par Sun Carnival tournaments. I have been around a long, long time and have seen it all.
Believe me; winning solves all problems. Once we put a legit team on the court again, everything changes.

Don't agree at all. The reason people aren't buying tickets for this tourney is the same reason they're not buying tickets for the rest of the UTEP games: because UTEP has sucked.

When UTEP is good, people will buy tickets to the tourney.

This tourney has always invited strong mid-major teams, teams that otherwise wouldn't have any reason to come play in El Paso. What attracts these teams is a chance to play another strong mid-major on a neutral court before playing UTEP. As I said, Kent St. has won the tournament during the Haskins years. Another year St. Joseph's won it during the Haskins years. Another year Detroit Mercy won it during the Haskins years.

And sometimes the tourney was able to attract a marquee team, and I get it, it's not so easy anymore. But it still attracts strong mid-majors, and until UTEP stops sucking, I really don't care so much if there's a marquee team. I want UTEP to be competitive against these strong mid-majors first.
Good points, can't disagree with your points, lets see what happens if we get off to a hot start and if people show up, I hope they do.

I believe that has been discussed.

We have to internalize no major teams want to come here....period. Arizona was a business deal. Fosters' Western Refining was a major Wildcats sponsor. I think Texas A&M owes UTEP a home game because UTEP went there a few years ago (Barbee era) and gave them all they could handle.

Prunes are used to make "prison wine," AKA Pruno. By the name alone, I'm guessing that stuff can't possibly taste that good, but I don't mind if I do.

Reactions: jdubb66
UC-Irvine had a historical year last year. Beat Kansas State in the NCAA and have been to the NIT twice and NCAA twice within the past six years. That is getting it done.

Even the classic 'Great Alaskan Shootout' was discontinued due to its non-exempt status. The only reason to play in an non-exempt tournament is because you cant find games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT