ADVERTISEMENT

Terry Bradshaw re: LA Tech football

It's not NMSU is directly holding us back. There are bigger issues biggest being lack of visionary leadership. However, the propping up of a non existent rivalry gives us a false sense of progress. We're sitting here chasing obese slugs. Sometimes we shoot ourselves in the foot and can't even catch the slugs. Meanwhile UTSA is chasing a rabbit in Houston. UNT is chasing SMU s rabbit. Will either of them catch those schools? Probably not. However, in striving for excellence and raising expectations both schools will advance their athletic programs and blow by UTEP.

If people are serious about serious about winning the old attitudes have to die.

Well, in that case I don’t think we should rid our schedule of NMSU. We should start kicking their asses on a regular basis.

You keep saying, “non existent rivalry”. This board is but a fraction, albeit very representative, of Miner die hard fans. You are the only one on here that I know of that doesn’t consider UTEP-NMSU a rivalry. It’s still a game(s) in fb or bb that fans look forward to. Nobody hangs their hat on an NMSU win, however fun it is to kick their asses.

UTEP is not chasing NMSU. It is just a long standing game...otherwise known as a rivalry.

I don’t know who UNT is chasing but they’re going full speed.

Well, in that case I don’t think we should rid our schedule of NMSU. We should start kicking their asses on a regular basis.

You keep saying, “non existent rivalry”. This board is but a fraction, albeit very representative, of Miner die hard fans. You are the only one on here that I know of that doesn’t consider UTEP-NMSU a rivalry. It’s still a game(s) in fb or bb that fans look forward to. Nobody hangs their hat on an NMSU win, however fun it is to kick their asses.

UTEP is not chasing NMSU. It is just a long standing game...otherwise known as a rivalry.

What's the last UTEP NMSU game you thought had a rivalry feel to it? For me it was 2003 basketball game in Las Cruces it was a great atmosphere. For football it 2007 in Las Cruces they beat us and fans rushed the field. Outside of those games I don't remember any that were any more intense than any other games. I don't think it's a game that moves the needle for either fan base.

What's the last UTEP NMSU game you thought had a rivalry feel to it? For me it was 2003 basketball game in Las Cruces it was a great atmosphere. For football it 2007 in Las Cruces they beat us and fans rushed the field. Outside of those games I don't remember any that were any more intense than any other games. I don't think it's a game that moves the needle for either fan base.

Was that the game Culpepper went off and the Miners won at Cruces? That was fun.

Tell me what UTSA game had a rivalry feel to it? The new Eastwood gym is better than UTSA’s dump. Battling for 6th place in football in an empty Sun Bowl or Alamodome sure is intense!

Fair enough. I can’t really think of any teams where one game is any more intense than any other game, including UTSA. Maybe the Rice game...just because we always have a chance to pick up a W. Yay...we won one!

The habit of losing seems to have dulled intensity across the schedule.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
[
Fair enough. I can’t really think of any teams where one game is any more intense than any other game, including UTSA. Maybe the Rice game...

The habit of losing seems to have dulled intensity across the schedule.

Were you at the Sept. 30th 2000 game against NMSU? 50,068 attendance. My ears were hurting after that game.

I mean this most respectfully, but you both are diluting the discussion.

UTSA brings nothing more to CUSA than does UTEP at the this current moment other than the Bexar County TV market, but San Antonio cares as much about UTSA than Houstonians interest in Rice. They have a high school gym and they don't have the budget for a new stadium. For heavens sake, NMSU had the state pony up four million($16.5 million in todays dollars https://www.saving.org/inflation/inflation.php?amount=1,000,000) in 1978. ODU renovation is a $67 million project. UNT ponied up $78 million to Apogee Stadium. UTEP is adding $15 million in renovations and that doesn't include the upgrades Price had contractors donate upon his arrival and renovations prior to that.

Meanwhile, Mississippi sports writers want CUSA to "blow up". https://mississippitoday.org/2020/05/29/it-past-time-for-radical-change-in-conference-usa/

USM obviously has sports writers behind them and wants out but no one wants them. That's the whole point, no other conference wants a CUSA member and they didn't want to be in the Sun Belt or got out of it! UAB and UTEP are attractive as Teir One. FAU, FIU bring east coast publication and sun soaking beauty. "Remember Marshall" is nice but no wants their TV market (hell, El Paso is better)? ODU is still a new program football wise. Hell, VCU is more attractive than ODU; they are Tier 1 and have a solid basketball program. Charlotte is a good addition to CUSA but knew in FBS and their basketball, like UTEP, is in total rebuild. La Tech? Competitive programs but even the Gov of Louisiana can give a rats ass about Ruston. Rice, UNT? No one care that Rice is in Houston and no one cares UNT is North Dallas 40.

Hey USM and UAB, instead of dividing CUSA with factional political diatribe at CUSA meetings and fishwraps, bring something to the table? At least UAB brought a conference crown immediately after starting. How about USM?! Hmmmmm, you all do a lot bitchin' but bring nothing accept a cheating scandal at this moment in time.

Let point the fingers at our members, too. They are offering not much for post Covid 19 college sports challenges. If I remember correctly, UTEP's Pres. Heather Wilson was the only CUSA college president in discussion with other presidents with VP Pence to find a way for college sports response?

Let's look at the bigger picture. Not just tear UTEP down because UTEP football is struggling and CRT under achieved this year. These other CUSA schools thinking "going rouge by going regional" is the answer, they are fooling themselves.

Last edited:
Tell me what UTSA game had a rivalry feel to it? The new Eastwood gym is better than UTSA’s dump. Battling for 6th place in football in an empty Sun Bowl or Alamodome sure is intense!

The sad part about this is that UTSA keeps beating UTEP at both FB and MBB so it really makes it not feel like a rivalry. That illustrates just the sad state of athletics at UTEP. If UTEP ever gets the athletics side of the equation right, man the potential is there for UTEP to really grow a bigger, better brand. Tier 1 academia, a borderland school and a leader in STEM careers.

The sad part about this is that UTSA keeps beating UTEP at both FB and MBB so it really makes it not feel like a rivalry. That illustrates just the sad state of athletics at UTEP. If UTEP ever gets the athletics side of the equation right, man the potential is there for UTEP to really grow a bigger, better brand. Tier 1 academia, a borderland school and a leader in STEM careers.
Last two years in FB they own and split basketball this past year but nothing dominating. Now against La Tech, that's a different story.

UTSA is like ODU, they have a self imposed identity crisis.

Until UTEP & UTSA play meaningful games, there’s no rivalry. You can’t make up a rivalry without history. UTSA has Texas St and we have NMSU. Though their rivalry with TSU is nowhere near ours with NMSU. UTEP has no rivals in CUSA. That’s why the league sucks for fans.

UTEP vs Nevada in basketball, could have been a rivalry. Then we went to CUSA and stopped playing them. Now, they’re just another ****in team. Since UTEP sucks at the most important sports, there’s no opportunity for meaningful games or getting a coach taken away.

NMSU is UTEP’s only rival. PERIOD. Anyone who disagrees is dumb as fvck!

UNM was once a fierce rival and I think can still be.

Boise St. could have been fun but never really had a chance to develop.

Key words being “was once”. NMSU is an A level rival. I would put UNM in the B level. We don’t play them enough. When we have played, the teams haven’t been very good. Thanks to Tim Floyd getting his panties in a bunch, we didn’t play them as often. They’re back on the schedule now, let’s see how long it lasts. Need to play them in football more regularly as well. I would put Rice in the B level too. Since we’ve been conference mates for 25ish years now. I would put BYU here too. No reason why we can’t play them every 4 years or so.

For Boise, which sport are you talking about? I think in basketball, could have been a B level rivalry. We should play them every 4 years or so too.

In basketball, UTEP should play NMSU, UNM, and Grand Canyon every year. Then play 1 of - BYU, Nevada, Boise, Utah St, and San Diego St each year. That’s 5 non-conference games a year.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Key words being “was once”. NMSU is an A level rival. I would put UNM in the B level. We don’t play them enough. When we have played, the teams haven’t been very good. Thanks to Tim Floyd getting his panties in a bunch, we didn’t play them as often. They’re back on the schedule now, let’s see how long it lasts. Need to play them in football more regularly as well. I would put Rice in the B level too. Since we’ve been conference mates for 25ish years now. I would put BYU here too. No reason why we can’t play them every 4 years or so.

For Boise, which sport are you talking about? I think in basketball, could have been a B level rivalry. We should play them every 4 years or so too.

In basketball, UTEP should play NMSU, UNM, and Grand Canyon every year. Then play 1 of - BYU, Nevada, Boise, Utah St, and San Diego St each year. That’s 5 non-conference games a year.

So we do have a rival in CUSA.

No context. They’re in the same class as two ex-conference mates we rarely play. They’re more of a rival than UTSA or any other CUSA team though!

That's the dumbest statement ever, but is to be expected coming from the board dumbass. Other than being in the same conference Rice has nothing in common with UTEP. They are an small private school with students from every state and over 150 countries. They offer an ivy level education. Houston is their only true rival although they still consider their former SWC foes as rivals.

UTSA is the school that's most like UTEP. Both are urban schools in large cities. Most importantly we're in the same system. We battle them for academic funding and Grants. They are the only school politically tied to us. This will continue into the future. That's why they are our defacto rival.

We have nothing in common with NMSU. They're a land grant ag school. We play them every year. There are no ramifications for winning or losing. There aren't any memorable games between us. The series with UNM does have memorable games. The paper cup game, Floyd and Alford throwing punches before an NIT game. The 2004 football game against UNM was the best atmosphere I've ever witnessed in the Sun Bowl. If we played UNM every year instead of NMSU they would be a rival. UNM and UTEP are similar schools. El Paso and Albuquerque are rival cities. There is nastiness present that doesnt exist when we play NMSU. when we started the football series again in 2013. The Albuquerque Journal had a poll where fans ranked UNM's biggest rivals. They ranked us #2 behind BYU.

UNM could be our second biggest rival. I don't like how we got here but UTSA is our undisputed biggest rival. They're politically tied to us the games against them have far more ramifications than any other game we play recruiting, politically etc.

That's the dumbest statement ever, but is to be expected coming from the board dumbass. Other than being in the same conference Rice has nothing in common with UTEP. They are an small private school with students from every state and over 150 countries. They offer an ivy level education. Houston is their only true rival although they still consider their former SWC foes as rivals.

UTSA is the school that's most like UTEP. Both are urban schools in large cities. Most importantly we're in the same system. We battle them for academic funding and Grants. They are the only school politically tied to us. This will continue into the future. That's why they are our defacto rival.

We have nothing in common with NMSU. They're a land grant ag school. We play them every year. There are no ramifications for winning or losing. There aren't any memorable games between us. The series with UNM does have memorable games. The paper cup game, Floyd and Alford throwing punches before an NIT game. The 2004 football game against UNM was the best atmosphere I've ever witnessed in the Sun Bowl. If we played UNM every year instead of NMSU they would be a rival. UNM and UTEP are similar schools. El Paso and Albuquerque are rival cities. There is nastiness present that doesnt exist when we play NMSU. when we started the football series again in 2013. The Albuquerque Journal had a poll where fans ranked UNM's biggest rivals. They ranked us #2 behind BYU.

UNM could be our second biggest rival. I don't like how we got here but UTSA is our undisputed biggest rival. They're politically tied to us the games against them have far more ramifications than any other game we play recruiting, politically etc.

Rice & Beans!

You’re actually the board dumbass, as if we took a vote, I guarantee more people would vote for Rice as a bigger rival than UTSA.

You are correct, as UTEP has a lot more in common with UTSA than it does Rice. UTSA didn’t even start playing basketball until 1981 and football in 2011.

Rice was in a better conference than UTEP before 1996 and up until UTSA joined CUSA, they were in the fvcking Southland conference, besides 1 year in the WAC. UTSA was so far beneath UTEP it wasn’t even funny. UTEP used to look at UTSA, the way UT looks at us.

Maybe in 10 years, we can consider UTSA a rival, but we’re just not right now. Not even close to NMSU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT