ADVERTISEMENT

Terry Bradshaw re: LA Tech football

He’s right that BMDs are going to have to step up for programs like us to get good.

And BMDs won’t do that unless they’re passionate about the program and believe in the leadership.

Last edited:
Like NMSU, go to Ruston and tell those people to pry open their wallets and buy tickets. This purist attitude is a tad bit not sincere and Bradshaw makes a living on his slack jaw southern personality.. Its like a rock musician saying "I'm in it for music man!" Yeah, drugs and sex have no influence. Mid majors are part of the economic college cycle. Nicholls State gets a check and FBS mid major get the 1 in 5 year bowl eligibility win.

Like how he threw shade at ULM

Reactions: TxRdKiller
This is the same organization that declined a bowl game after going 9-3 because they thought they deserved better. No other bowls called.

This is the same organization that declined a bowl game after going 9-3 because they thought they deserved better. No other bowls called.
Oh yeah! I forgot all about that. I would not be surprised if Terry told them to hold out.

"Athletic directors and their ilk have a tendency to put a spin on things. We know this from experience."

[Ahem! UTEP AD Senter]

"But on BCS Selection Sunday, Louisiana Tech associate media relations director Patrick Walsh ignited a firestorm on Twitter when he tweeted that Louisiana Tech was not going to a bowl game because it had "not been selected."

Louisiana Tech has not been selected for a postseason bowl game. Nation's No. 1 offense ends year at 9-3. #WeAreLATech

— Patrick Walsh (@LATechPWalsh) December 2, 2012
At first, the sympathies came pouring in.

How could the 9-3 Bulldogs get snubbed like this? Walsh's Twitter account then got hammered when the truth came out: Louisiana Tech did receive a bowl berth from the Independence Bowl but decided it wanted to wait on other options."

It still doesn’t make sense. Playing a bowl game within a one hour drive against a team 30 minutes from you that won 8 games. La Tech should have accepted and stomped on Monroe instead of wasting away such a good season.

I agree with you. They really feel they are superior to La-Monroe though.

That's the difference between La Tech and UTEP. La Tech sets their sights way beyond their regional rivals. They raise expectations and expect results. We on the other hand don't. We have are infatuated with a weak neighbor who will always be weak. When we beat them its doesnt mean shit. It's just gives some false since of progress when you put the bar on the ground and manage to step over it.

That's the difference between La Tech and UTEP. La Tech sets their sights way beyond their regional rivals. They raise expectations and expect results. We on the other hand don't. We have are infatuated with a weak neighbor who will always be weak. When we beat them its doesnt mean shit. It's just gives some false since of progress when you put the bar on the ground and manage to step over it.

They’re also in a damn good recruiting state.

Do you not realize that NMSU is one of the best teams that UTEP plays every year? I guess beating UTSA means more?

We play in g5 conference. We aren't talking about basketball. Terry Bradshaw is not talking basketball.

You damn straight it means to beat UTSA. We already got left behind by SMU and UH. Let's try not to get passed by UTSA.

We play in g5 conference. We aren't talking about basketball. Terry Bradshaw is not talking basketball.

You damn straight it means to beat UTSA. We already got left behind by SMU and UH. Let's try not to get passed by UTSA.

So why isn't UTEP beating NMSU in football every year if they are "weak"? NMSU won a bowl games because they were "weak"? We should be blowing them out every year if they were "weak".

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992

NMSU won the last three years. From 1972 to 1981 they won 8/9. How weak!!

Life, La Tech has high expectations, that's is true. But that was a boneheaded decision. Just dumb.

UTEP needs to worry about UTEP because football has been a disaster. UNT needs to settle down, their UNT. La Tech thinks they're too good for the conference in football but they can't win the conference but win their bowl games? Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

But I wish UTEP had that dilemma.

So why isn't UTEP beating NMSU in football every year if they are "weak"? NMSU won a bowl games because they were "weak"? We should be blowing them out every year if they were "weak".

Historically we do. The last three years are an anomaly due to poor leadership and bad hiring. We'll be better than them shortly.The state on New Mexico is a poor state. They can't afford two d1 programs. NMSU will always struggle financially.

Historically we do. The last three years are an anomaly due to poor leadership and bad hiring. We'll be better than them shortly.The state on New Mexico is a poor state. They can't afford two d1 programs. NMSU will always struggle financially.

And? If NMSU was so weak UTEP should beat them every year.

We cannot compare UTEP to UH and SMU. We didn’t get passed by them because we were never ahead or even with them. They were both in the SWC. Granted this was way before the P5-G5 distinction, however, the playing ground was never level between us and them.

UTSA is not in the same ballpark as those two.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
We cannot compare UTEP to UH and SMU. We didn’t get passed by them because we were never ahead or even with them. They were both in the SWC. Granted this was way before the P5-G5 distinction, however, the playing ground was never level between us and them.

I disagree. SMU was weakened for 20 years by the death penalty. UH had huge financial issues al.ost dropped their program. Ironically Dimel almost killed their program. In 2005 we were ahead of SMU. I wouldnt say we were ahead of UH but we equal to them. Both of those schools made investments raised expectations and passed us.

Just the money alumni alone are willing to shell out at those two schools put us so far behind them. Not even close.

I can see your argument with SMU and the death penalty putting us on even ground. Death penalty is hard to come back from. But the $$$...it’s the money that separates us. Now the conference also, which the money and market got them into.

IMO it doesn’t really matter if we were equal or ahead of them. They didn’t want to be associated with universities like us and made the adjustments needed to move forward. Unfortunately that wasn’t the first time we were left behind and I don’t think it will be the last time either. They have donors that want better for their university and will not accept taking backward steps.

Just the money alumni alone are willing to shell out at those two schools put us so far behind them. Not even close.

I can see your argument with SMU and the death penalty putting us on even ground. Death penalty is hard to come back from. But the $$$...it’s the money that separates us. Now the conference also, which the money and market got them into.

Point taken. I just think if we could have built a football program and kept avg attendance above 40k there is no doubt in my mind we get the last spot in the AAC over Tulsa. A winning program would have helped spur donations. We wouldnt have a Tilman Fertita like donor, but we certainly would be better off. Alot easier to raise money if you're trying to compete against SMU and UH as opposed to hyping up NMSU.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
IMO it doesn’t really matter if we were equal or ahead of them. They didn’t want to be associated with universities like us and made the adjustments needed to move forward. Unfortunately that wasn’t the first time we were left behind and I don’t think it will be the last time either. They have donors that want better for their university and will not accept taking backward steps.

Agree. That's why we need to leave the Battle of 1-10 in the past and think bigger. It's the small time thinking that has held us back.

Agree. That's why we need to leave the Battle of 1-10 in the past and think bigger. It's the small time thinking that has held us back.

NMSU isn’t holding us back if we’re playing the likes of NAU, or even worse, HBU. I know your stance in regards to NMSU, but you are very much in the minority who looks at it that way. If we put all of our marbles into that game, we’d be in trouble. But we don’t. It’s just a long standing battle along I-10 that people look forward to. Seeing them as a rival does not make or break us.

NMSU and UNM are in state rivals. No ifs ands or buts about it. UNM doesn’t look at NMSU as it’s biggest rival...just one of its longest standing rivals. NMSU doesn’t hold New Mexico back. Lack of winning on the fb field certainly does, though.

If UTEP beat "weak" NMSU every year then yes. UTEP hasn't beaten NMSU in football since 2016 and NMSU basketball owns us. We have to make progress and consistently beat NMSU first.

Nope. The difference is LaTech made the right coaching hires and wins games. UTEP has better fans and facilities than them. Difference is, they didn’t hire a bunch of shitty coaches. It’s that simple.
This is probably the heart of the matter. Once in a great while UTEP made good choices or got lucky. With Haskins we got extremely lucky. No other college I can think of would have hired him as head mbb coach with his experience at the time. In fb Price was a good hire by Stull but he kind of fell in our lap, but still Stull talked Natalicio into allowing the hire. But all in all, pretty bad hires.

This is probably the heart of the matter. Once in a great while UTEP made good choices or got lucky. With Haskins we got extremely lucky. No other college I can think of would have hired him as head mbb coach with his experience at the time. In fb Price was a good hire by Stull but he kind of fell in our lap, but still Stull talked Natalicio into allowing the hire. But all in all, pretty bad hires.

It was a different time when Haskins got hired. When Duke hired Coach K in 1980, he won 9 games the season before at Army and was barely above .500 during his 5 seasons there. Do you think Duke would hire someone like that today?

Price was a great hire. Problem is, he wasn’t fired soon enough. He should have been fired after 2008 or 2009. He stayed until 2012. If we would have fired him in 08 or 09, things might be a lot different now. Think about it. We could have hired a better coach than Kugler. Maybe we win, maybe we’re not in CUSA right now.

I agree, NMSU doesn't hold us back at all. When both programs have fairly decent coaching the fans show up and the games are exciting. After NMSU win against ASU twenty years ago the SB was sold out and rocking! NMSU fired Samuels and hired Mumme in panic response to UTEP Mike Price hire and Memorial Stadium was ignited as well.

The basketball games have a history beyond even that. The atmosphere has been so charged that major rival programs have said it is comparable.

I too was in the Stull camp thinking that UTEP would be better by scheduling a different opponent for competitive and financial gain. Stull was wrong, I was wrong.

What ever happens due to Corona Virus response I hope this rivalry thrives and expands. Good for NMSU that they make the NMSU. Im still going to root for their opponent to beat them. Why? That's part of the rivalry I feel passionate about. I don't think we should be conference mates, neither athletic programs bring enough to the table for any FBS/D1 conferences. Rather, I am passionate about the game. My youngest son wanted to experience that atmosphere for the first time last year at the DHC vs NMSU, he loved it and the atmosphere (and it wasn't sold out and one of the more subdued rivalry games) and was awed by Bryson Williams. Thats not NMSU holding us back? I enjoy the rivalry. Lots of money is too be earned (the rivarly has corporate sponsorship), memories made, raunchy jokes and memes to be made but done in sportsmanship and civility; going hooligan and brawling brings nothing.

Reactions: Dmanminer
I agree, NMSU doesn't hold us back at all. When both programs have fairly decent coaching the fans show up and the games are exciting. After NMSU win against ASU twenty years ago the SB was sold out and rocking! NMSU fired Samuels and hired Mumme in panic response to UTEP Mike Price hire and Memorial Stadium was ignited as well.

The basketball games have a history beyond even that. The atmosphere has been so charged that major rival programs have said it is comparable.

I too was in the Stull camp thinking that UTEP would be better by scheduling a different opponent for competitive and financial gain. Stull was wrong, I was wrong.

What ever happens due to Corona Virus response I hope this rivalry thrives and expands. Good for NMSU that they make the NMSU. Im still going to root for their opponent to beat them. Why? That's part of the rivalry I feel passionate about. I don't think we should be conference mates, neither athletic programs bring enough to the table for any FBS/D1 conferences. Rather, I am passionate about the game. My youngest son wanted to experience that atmosphere for the first time last year at the DHC vs NMSU, he loved it and the atmosphere (and it wasn't sold out and one of the more subdued rivalry games) and was awed by Bryson Williams. Thats not NMSU holding us back? I enjoy the rivalry. Lots of money is too be earned (the rivarly has corporate sponsorship), memories made, raunchy jokes and memes to be made but done in sportsmanship and civility; going hooligan and brawling brings nothing.

According to minerforlife, the atmosphere at UTEP vs UTSA games is better than UTEP vs NMSU.

NMSU isn’t holding us back if we’re playing the likes of NAU, or even worse, HBU. I know your stance in regards to NMSU, but you are very much in the minority who looks at it that way. If we put all of our marbles into that game, we’d be in trouble. But we don’t. It’s just a long standing battle along I-10 that people look forward to. Seeing them as a rival does not make or break us.

NMSU and UNM are in state rivals. No ifs ands or buts about it. UNM doesn’t look at NMSU as it’s biggest rival...just one of its longest standing rivals. NMSU doesn’t hold New Mexico back. Lack of winning on the fb field certainly does, though.

It's not NMSU is directly holding us back. There are bigger issues biggest being lack of visionary leadership. However, the propping up of a non existent rivalry gives us a false sense of progress. We're sitting here chasing obese slugs. Sometimes we shoot ourselves in the foot and can't even catch the slugs. Meanwhile UTSA is chasing a rabbit in Houston. UNT is chasing SMU s rabbit. Will either of them catch those schools? Probably not. However, in striving for excellence and raising expectations both schools will advance their athletic programs and blow by UTEP.

If people are serious about serious about winning the old attitudes have to die.

It's not NMSU is directly holding us back. There are bigger issues biggest being lack of visionary leadership. However, the propping up of a non existent rivalry gives us a false sense of progress. We're sitting here chasing obese slugs. Sometimes we shoot ourselves in the foot and can't even catch the slugs. Meanwhile UTSA is chasing a rabbit in Houston. UNT is chasing SMU s rabbit. Will either of them catch those schools? Probably not. However, in striving for excellence and raising expectations both schools will advance their athletic programs and blow by UTEP.

If people are serious about serious about winning the old attitudes have to die.

What proof do you have that UTSA is chasing Houston and UNT chasing SMU?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT