ADVERTISEMENT

Terry might be interim HC at UT

Imo when a victim no longer wants to press charges then the county should charge them with a false police report. And a false police report should be a felony.

Reactions: miner1liner
If the neighbor saw what they saw and there's evidence on the victim that such a crime occurred then the county has a responsibility to investigate it.
Yes, but you’re talking about felony charges when the victim doesn’t want to press charges. That is different than an investigation you’re talking about here.

But what if she drops the charges?
It doesn't matter. In the state of Texas if the cops are called for DV and the accuser doesn't want to press charges the DA can do it. It will be out of her hands at that point... I know nothing about the Travis County DA, but in a lot of cases DAs want to make a name for themselves and will go after a high profile name if there is even a shred of evidence of the party being guilty.

Reactions: develman
It doesn't matter. In the state of Texas if the cops are called for DV and the accuser doesn't want to press charges the DA can do it. It will be out of her hands at that point... I know nothing about the Travis County DA, but in a lot of cases DAs want to make a name for themselves and will go after a high profile name if there is even a shred of evidence of the party being guilty.
Correct — even if she doesn’t press charges the DA still can.

Yes, but you’re talking about felony charges when the victim doesn’t want to press charges. That is different than an investigation you’re talking about here.
If a neighbor or anyone makes up a false domestic charge then yes it should be a felony. You gotta be a pretty shitty person if someone wants to make things up like that about you. Someone has to be a special kind of crazy to make up such a thing up about someone. Odds are those kinds of allegations usually have smoke behind them.

Imo when a victim no longer wants to press charges then the county should charge them with a false police report. And a false police report should be a felony.
Sure, if they can prove the victim lied. Trouble is, many domestic violence victims back down even when the abuse is real.

Reactions: develman
Your comment implied she’s a gold digger.
Maybe? Just saying that she might have second thoughts about hurting her fiancé’s future career earnings. If she really loves him, it’s probably difficult to remain with someone that “was responsible” for you losing your “dream job”. They might be able to move past this, but it’s unlikely if he’s going to be 86ed from coaching.

I stand behind Golding. It’s just the start of year 2. DePaul loss was bad and expectation is high but I’m behind him.

Yep, most states have these type of laws because sometimes victims are intimidated into dropping the charges. In NV only the DA can drop domestic violence charges. Of course, lots of money and lots of lawyers always prove they're are 2 tiers of the justice system.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT