ADVERTISEMENT

The problem with Trolls

There are lots of other teams that win more and bigger games with less fans and who have worse facilities and conferences. Simply buying tickets is a tired, lame, weak excuse for a teams shortcomings.

Are you telling me that UTEP can only win games in front of 10,000 and 40,000 people?

Also, please list lots of examples of winning teams in worse conferences with lower attendance and poorer facilities.

Money matters in college sports. If you're not contributing it in some way, at the level you can afford, you're just spewing hot air. I'll restrain myself from asking how many basketball games you attended last season.

I attended one game. Watched the rest on TV or listened on the radio. So please tell me how my opinion is worthless and I'm not a real fan because I don't dedicate my life to UTEP athletics.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
Also, please list lots of examples of winning teams in worse conferences with lower attendance and poorer facilities.

Florida Gulf Coast - Made Sweet 16 despite only averaging under 3,000 per game.

Lehigh - best Duke in NCAA tournament a few years ago.

George Mason - Made Final 4 10 years ago.

NMSU - makes NCAAs every year.

Texas Southern - best Michigan St on the road this season. When was the last time UTEP beat a Final 4 team in a season?

La-Lafayette - numerous bowl wins and conference championships.

Northern Illinois - Made BCS bowl. Plays in an old facility and draws way less than UTEP.

Marshall - started out undefeated, plays in older stadium, rural town in West Virginia.

Rice - always beats UTEP, plays in a stadium 10 times bigger than they need, lucky to draw 10,000 on a good night. Has rigorous academic standards that UTEP does not.

Need me to go on?

Carlos, you attended one game and yet you spend hours on here bashing Floyd and the program. Are you a UTEP student (current or former) or grad?

To be fair, I should say I'm a UT Austin grad, but I'm from El Paso, live in El Paso, and have completed graduate-level classes at UTEP. I'm a big UT fan, and travel to some of their games, but enjoy attending most UTEP football and basketball games because it's fun and I don't have to travel to enjoy them.

Last edited:
Florida Gulf Coast - Made Sweet 16 despite only averaging under 3,000 per game.

Lehigh - best Duke in NCAA tournament a few years ago.

George Mason - Made Final 4 10 years ago.

NMSU - makes NCAAs every year.

Texas Southern - best Michigan St on the road this season. When was the last time UTEP beat a Final 4 team in a season?

La-Lafayette - numerous bowl wins and conference championships.

Northern Illinois - Made BCS bowl. Plays in an old facility and draws way less than UTEP.

Marshall - started out undefeated, plays in older stadium, rural town in West Virginia.

Rice - always beats UTEP, plays in a stadium 10 times bigger than they need, lucky to draw 10,000 on a good night. Has rigorous academic standards that UTEP does not.

Need me to go on?

I think it's reasonable to expect UTEP to be competitive with programs like this more seasons than not, and I think you should help them get back to that level.

I personally don't need to have a top 5 list of things they have done... In the last 20 or hundred years! I follow UTEP athletics because they are MY team, MY school, and I take great pride in that! Why follow something, you need to justify it with "accomplishments" that's a bunch of horse crap... Go Miners! I now in live in the Pacific NW and could easily become a "Duck" fan, but I choose to stick with MY team... I don't care if they sucked as bad as NMSU... I would still follow and rep my UTEP!

PS I may move to Austin in a few yrs, lol... GO Horns!

jk. about the Go Horns...

WOW!!....I have been out of town awhile and haven't been on this site. I can see this thread is long even though I have several folks on ignore.

Since the thread was derailed again, I'll pop in for the original topic: Trolls

There are several posters that seem to just want to stir the pot. While I have no issue of anyone complaining about Floyd, Stull, the cheerleaders, the shade of our color orange, I just get tired of reading only the bashing and beating the damn dead horse. Half my closet is orange, but you will hear me complain when I'm pissed too. The folks that ONLY post negative facts (not denying they are correct, but to repeat the same thing 365 days a year?) are not fans, but just trying to get replies so they can argue and "win". I have jumped in more times than I can count, hence me using the ignore button to prevent my dumba** self from doing it. Chi is a different kind of troll (yes you are a troll). While very knowledgeable about UTEP sports, not every post needs to end with a question to prompt a response or start an argument. We don't need a "call to action" button.

Quite honestly, I agree with most of the original post. We are "supposed to be" a UTEP fan board. Whether we are lollipops and candy like Shy, or the grumpy old man like 2step, we are fans. Not all of our posts have to be roses, but the rest of the garage needs to be taken out.

I would LOVE to see a moderator block the trolls with an email explaining how to behave. Give them another chance. Then ban them for good if they do it again.
There are other sites that have great posters I love to read. Most wouldn't tolerate this crap, yet here we are. I used to love posting in the den because I could cuss. :) But that site won't even let me register on ANY of my 5 email addresses...guess all sites have their own issues....

Look at all the great posters that aren't around anymore. any coincidence? I think not....

Anywho.....football season is a comin.....

Reactions: winstoneptx
Attended one game and you live in El Paso..............<head nod>..........thanks for putting things in perspective for us regarding considering the source when you post....

Just because someone attends one game doesn't mean they are not a fan. So if you guys want to make up silly rules about what criteria determines if someone is aUTEP fan or not then lets play games....how many of you have season tickets to UTEP Basketball? If you were a true fan and all about supporting UTEP Basketball you would purchase season tickets. If you don't have season tickets you are not a true diehard Miner fan. I was a UTEP basketball season ticket holder until after this past season. I am not renewing them for this season. I have been to about 90% of the UTEP basketball games the past 5 seasons. So since most people on here judge whether or not you are a UTEP fan based on games attended, I fall under a die hard fan(I guess??). But I am not happy with UTEP basketball right now. You can be a UTEP fan but you don't have to drink the orange kool-aid and pretend everything is perfect and we are a power house in basketball because we are winning 20 games a season in CUSA, and nobody can talk bad about UTEP basketball. Floyd has had the most resources to work with than any other UTEP coach has had here and we are getting poor results.. I have every right to voice my displeasure on here.

Some of you on here need to put your purse down and relax. Some of you on here are so sensitive.

Last edited:
Just because someone attends one game doesn't mean they are not a fan. So if you guys want to make up silly rules about what criteria determines if someone is aUTEP fan or not then lets play games....how many of you have season tickets to UTEP Basketball? If you were a true fan and all about supporting UTEP Basketball you would purchase season tickets. If you don't have season tickets you are not a true diehard Miner fan. I was a UTEP basketball season ticket holder until after this past season. I am not renewing them for this season. I have been to about 90% of the UTEP basketball games the past 5 seasons. So since most people on here judge whether or not you are a UTEP fan based on games attended, I fall under a die hard fan(I guess??). But I am not happy with UTEP basketball right now. You can be a UTEP fan but you don't have to drink the orange kool-aid and pretend everything is perfect and we are a power house in basketball because we are winning 20 games a season in CUSA, and nobody can talk bad about UTEP basketball. Floyd has had the most resources to work with than any other UTEP coach has had here and we are getting poor results.. I have every right to voice my displeasure on here.

Some of you on here need to put your purse down and go to home depot and buy some man tools. Some of you on here are so sensitive.

I have season tickets, do not think everything is perfect, but disagree that our recent results grade out to "poor."

I have season tickets, do not think everything is perfect, but disagree that our recent results grade out to "poor."

I give CTF and the Miners a C on the season. Not poor, but certainly not great either. Average.

Edit: Hadn't made it down to your next post and just realized you graded them the same.

The lifeblood of college athletics is money. If you dont agree with the direction of the basketball program thats understandable. If you dont renew your basketball tickets that your choice. If thats what you want to i would encourage you to spend the money you would have spent on basketball tickets on football tickets or in a donation to the MAC. In the end basketball attendance doesnt matter, it wont factor in to if we get into another conference or not. However, football attendance and revenue is imperative for the future of UTEP athletics.

Carlos made a point that schools wth less attendance get better results than us. Thats true but most of them reside in states that subsidize university athletic budgets. The state of texas doesnt subsidize athletics, its illegal for any state money to be used on athletics. When our ticket sales go down our revenue goes down there is no outside entity that will make up the difference. Money is the life blood of college athletics you lose money and your athletic programs die.

Carlos, you attended one game and yet you spend hours on here bashing Floyd and the program. Are you a UTEP student (current or former) or grad?

To be fair, I should say I'm a UT Austin grad, but I'm from El Paso, live in El Paso, and have completed graduate-level classes at UTEP. I'm a big UT fan, and travel to some of their games, but enjoy attending most UTEP football and basketball games because it's fun and I don't have to travel to enjoy them.

You have to attend all games to have a credible opinion on the team? I did attend UTEP for a start time, but obtained my degree elsewhere. I grew up a Miner fan and will always remain one.

How can you call yourself a big UT fan if you don't attend all their games? Isn't your definition of a fan being one that goes to all the games?

Are you a fan of any pro sports teams? How many of those games do you attend?​

Attended one game and you live in El Paso..............<head nod>..........thanks for putting things in perspective for us regarding considering the source when you post....

UTEP athletics is not my life. So sorry I couldn't make it out to the Alcorn St, Se Louisiana, and North Texas games.

I actually went to two, I forgot I went to the LaTech game. Another post opportunity for the Miners, but they lost. Good thing I went or else they might have lost by more right?

I did not ask you a question so you could ask me a question! I asked you a question so you could answer a question for me

I do not know offhand what positive things I have posted since I began posting here. By my account, UTEP has not accomplished anything in the last 20 years that would have me say "awesome". What has Floyd done that other coaches were not able to?

So again, please list any accomplishhments that other G5 school's have not been able to.

Great post from Ronstr and shyminer. the trolls put the same old facts and want to put down UTEP. Even when we true Miner fans get excited about the recruits and the up coming season they derail what could have been great tread and good feedback and bring back the same old things. Nothing new.
I too get mad at times with the team and coaches, but I refrain from non-stop bashing because then your you're not a true Miner fan.
As much as the football program has been bad for many years, I'm actually getting excited about coach Kug and the future. But its to easy for the trolls to come in here and bash the football team for it's past.
And this arguement about they are Miner fans too but are tired of mediocrety is a bunch of B.S. Like shyminer put it so good, this is My Team, in My town and I will be there supporting them all the time.
Bit me if you don't like it because that's what a true Miner fan is.

GO MINERS

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronstr300

You have to attend all games to have a credible opinion on the team? I did attend UTEP for a start time, but obtained my degree elsewhere. I grew up a Miner fan and will always remain one.

How can you call yourself a big UT fan if you don't attend all their games? Isn't your definition of a fan being one that goes to all the games?

Are you a fan of any pro sports teams? How many of those games do you attend?​

If I lived in or near Austin, I'd be a season ticket holder. It's a long trip and expensive even on the cheap. That said, I do go to several games a year.

I think it's odd you live in El Paso, spend much mental energy on the program, yet go to few games. I'm happy to have you join me for a few games if you like -- maybe it will shift your paradigm.

NE.jpg

If all else fails...

Last edited:
If I lived in or near Austin, I'd be a season ticket holder. It's a long trip and expensive even on the cheap. That said, I do go to several games a year.

I think it's odd you live in El Paso, spend much mental energy on the program, yet go to few games. I'm happy to have you join me for a few games if you like -- maybe it will shift your paradigm.

I don't go on man dates. I have enough friends to go to the game with, Thanks though. I only go to games I am interested in seeing and if they're in TV, it's unlikely I will go. I went to 2 football games last year and got free tickets to both. For the MTSU game I had 4 more tickets to give away and sold them for well under face value. There is no incentive for me to buy season tickets.

You can walk up to any basketball or football game and easily get tickets. Aside from big games like Arizona, etc. Why would I go to every game if I have no interest in physically going?

I would have to be paid like $100 plus tickets and food to even step foot at the home opener. Incarnate Word? What makes any non honk fan want to see that game?

Many of the games are on TV and that leaves me little incentive to leave my home and go to the games. Why would I go see the Miners lose to Texas Tech with a 9pm kickoff when it's on TV? I can go to the bathroom whenever I want, have my own 6 pack, my own food, don't have to deal with traffic, parking fees, can watch other games during commercials, don't have to deal with the occassional jerks at the stadium. What is UTEP doing to get me to the games???

The lifeblood of college athletics is money. If you dont agree with the direction of the basketball program thats understandable. If you dont renew your basketball tickets that your choice. If thats what you want to i would encourage you to spend the money you would have spent on basketball tickets on football tickets or in a donation to the MAC. In the end basketball attendance doesnt matter, it wont factor in to if we get into another conference or not. However, football attendance and revenue is imperative for the future of UTEP athletics.

Carlos made a point that schools wth less attendance get better results than us. Thats true but most of them reside in states that subsidize university athletic budgets. The state of texas doesnt subsidize athletics, its illegal for any state money to be used on athletics. When our ticket sales go down our revenue goes down there is no outside entity that will make up the difference. Money is the life blood of college athletics you lose money and your athletic programs die.

Attendance has nothing to do with performing on the field and winning games. Northern Illinois made the Orange Bowl a few years ago. Go look at their attendance, it's worse than UTEPs and always has been. Their stadium isn't as nice as the Sun Bowl, but they still won. Why can NIU do it but UTEP can't?

I don't go on man dates. I have enough friends to go to the game with, Thanks though. I only go to games I am interested in seeing and if they're in TV, it's unlikely I will go. I went to 2 football games last year and got free tickets to both. For the MTSU game I had 4 more tickets to give away and sold them for well under face value. There is no incentive for me to buy season tickets.

You can walk up to any basketball or football game and easily get tickets. Aside from big games like Arizona, etc. Why would I go to every game if I have no interest in physically going?

I would have to be paid like $100 plus tickets and food to even step foot at the home opener. Incarnate Word? What makes any non honk fan want to see that game?

Many of the games are on TV and that leaves me little incentive to leave my home and go to the games. Why would I go see the Miners lose to Texas Tech with a 9pm kickoff when it's on TV? I can go to the bathroom whenever I want, have my own 6 pack, my own food, don't have to deal with traffic, parking fees, can watch other games during commercials, don't have to deal with the occassional jerks at the stadium. What is UTEP doing to get me to the games???

Because every season is a new narrative. Take basketball this year, for instance -- lots of new faces to get to know. Even the early games are interesting as you watch the staff mix and match lineups trying to find what works. The season is a journey best experienced in its entirety.

Reactions: Cicileslie
No they aren't interesting to watch. UTEP scheduled weak non conference opponents and no matter who is playing for UTEP, they should dominate.

So what is UTEP doing to get me to go to the games? Why should I shell out $10 each for tickets to see Floyd's boring offense against an opponent I know they will beat?

In contrast to your stance, I'd love to catch a few more Miner games a year than I currently do...even considering the rise in blood pressure that I might experience from time to time. As it stands I attend 3-4 bb games a year. 1-2 in EP, 1 in either Houston or Dallas and the game in nearby SA. I miss the option of catching a game. Although I hesitate to call it an option because if there was a home game, I was there...barring occasional abnormal circumstances. Not knocking your choice. To each their own.

Reactions: STCarlosEP
No they aren't interesting to watch. UTEP scheduled weak non conference opponents and no matter who is playing for UTEP, they should dominate.

So what is UTEP doing to get me to go to the games? Why should I shell out $10 each for tickets to see Floyd's boring offense against an opponent I know they will beat?

You shouldn't if you don't want to. Why do you watch them at all?

That's my point Leslie. Just because I don't want to see them play FAU, doesn't mean I'm not a fan. Doesn't mean I won't follow via radio or Twitter.

There is rarely a must see game. Arizona was must see, and I decided to watch it at home. 9pm tipoff, no thanks. If it wasn't on TV, I would have gone, but easier to stay home when they had a small chance of winning.

Maybe if UTEP won big games and against teams that I cared about, I would be less apathetic towards them. The players should be excited to play in front of 500 or 5,000 fans. They don't need sell out crowds to win games. Lots of school's win home games with hundreds in attendance.

That's my point Leslie. Just because I don't want to see them play FAU, doesn't mean I'm not a fan. Doesn't mean I won't follow via radio or Twitter.

There is rarely a must see game. Arizona was must see, and I decided to watch it at home. 9pm tipoff, no thanks. If it wasn't on TV, I would have gone, but easier to stay home when they had a small chance of winning.

Maybe if UTEP won big games and against teams that I cared about, I would be less apathetic towards them. The players should be excited to play in front of 500 or 5,000 fans. They don't need sell out crowds to win games. Lots of school's win home games with hundreds in attendance.

As a former college athlete I can assure you it was more exciting to play before big crowds, as opposed to small crowds.You are right in that they don't need sell out crowds to win, because ideally an athlete plays to play, for the love of the game. But there is no denying that the energy from a crowd behind a team can pull the best out of players. Again, not knocking your choices. Was just curious why you watched Miner games in the first place.

Edit: Also, while a must see game can generate excitement, a fan by definition doesn't need a must see game to attend and root for their team. They are just the gravy on top.

Last edited:

you are hilarious... what you think only utep games have jerks at the games??? you dont think concessions are expensive or just as bland elsewhere? and let me tell you, you have absolutely NO room to talk about traffic, or parking fees or ticket prices.... uteps are all extremely low...

its funny....you think its ridiculous to spend a 100 on utep football because their opponent is incarnate word..... but baylor played nw louisiana, wofford and ULM, Sam houston state, stephen f austin.... and two i repeat TWO Tickets for any one of those games cost 160 dollars.. and they STILL got nearly 45000 people into their stadium!! they do not advertise any better on tv or radio than utep does.. and concessions are just the same.... but nooooooo utep has to roll out the red carpet for you... what do you want them to do? go pick you up?? you are just full of excuses!

Last edited:

your not a fan.... you are a high maintenance snob!!! or more than likely not a utep fan!!

you are hilarious... what you think only utep games have jerks at the games??? you dont think concessions are expensive or just as bland elsewhere? and let me tell you, you have absolutely NO room to talk about traffic, or parking fees or ticket prices.... uteps are all extremely low...

its funny....you think its ridiculous to spend a 100 on utep football because their opponent is incarnate word..... but baylor played nw louisiana.... and two i repeat TWO Tickets for that game cost 160 dollars.. and they STILL got nearly 48000 people into their stadium!! they do not advertise any better on tv or radio than utep does.. and concessions are just the same.... but nooooooo utep has to roll out the red carpet for you... what do you want them to do? go pick you up?? you are just full of excuses!

I said you couldn't pay me to go see UIW. Not many people are gonna spend $100 on tickets to that game because you can get season fix for $55!

That's great for Baylor. They are a Top 10 and have way more season ticket holders than UTEP and play in a brand new stadium. So pulling 48,000 for an FCS opponent is not unlikely. They have demand for tickets. UTEP does not. You can get them super cheap, right before the game. The Sun Bowl wasn't even sold out for OU.

Of course other teams have jerk fans, where did I say those were exclusive to El Paso.

PS. I'm still waiting for the 5 accomplishments from UTEP, why haven't you answered?

As a former college athlete I can assure you it was more exciting to play before big crowds, as opposed to small crowds.You are right in that they don't need sell out crowds to win, because ideally an athlete plays to play, for the love of the game. But there is no denying that the energy from a crowd behind a team can pull the best out of players. Again, not knocking your choices. Was just curious why you watched Miner games in the first place.

Edit: Also, while a must see game can generate excitement, a fan by definition doesn't need a must see game to attend and root for their team. They are just the gravy on top.

I've seen UTEP beat NMSU and Texas Southern enough times already. I need to see them beat better opponents. Doesn't mean I won't pay attention or not watch. Just I'm selective on which games I attend.

Since when is going to all games a requirement to be a fan?

I've seen UTEP beat NMSU and Texas Southern enough times already. I need to see them beat better opponents. Doesn't mean I won't pay attention or not watch. Just I'm selective on which games I attend.

I don't know. I never said it was.

I would respect your position a great deal more, Carlos, if you simply said you have a ridiculously hot girlfriend (or boyfriend) who hates sports (if true and female, please post a photo of her). This is El Paso, with no major pro sports. WTF else is there to do? You'd rather sit at home on your couch posting vitriol to the glow of your device screen than getting out to see teams you profess to be a fan of, yet hate, yet rarely watch in person (for the price of a movie). F*#! you...

Wow. There's lots to do in El Paso and you already gave me an "FY" blast?

I can spend my free time however I want. My personal life is neither here nor there. To be a fan of a team, I can be a fan however I see fit. I don't hate UTEP athletics, I am just tired of seeing school's with lesser facilities, bad attendance, and worse conferences, accomplish more.

I hope UTEP makes noise in football and basketball. Until then.....

Wow. There's lots to do in El Paso and you already gave me an "FY" blast?

I can spend my free time however I want. My personal life is neither here nor there. To be a fan of a team, I can be a fan however I see fit. I don't hate UTEP athletics, I am just tired of seeing school's with lesser facilities, bad attendance, and worse conferences, accomplish more.

I hope UTEP makes noise in football and basketball. Until then.....

Oh, and learn how to use an apostrophe...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT