ADVERTISEMENT

The problem with Trolls

Apostrophe? Chunks runs a top level message board. There are almost three members who have posted in the last year. The man doesn't have time to attend games or use apostrophes. He's an administrator!

Reactions: winstoneptx
I've seen UTEP beat NMSU and Texas Southern enough times already. I need to see them beat better opponents. Doesn't mean I won't pay attention or not watch. Just I'm selective on which games I attend.

Since when is going to all games a requirement to be a fan?
Lol, true definition of a bandwagon fan, a cheap one at that...pathetic.

The Trolls obviously have the blessing of the Admins, probably to drive up the post count. This thread is a perfect example. This post is number 88 and this thread wouldn't exist if it weren't for trolls.

The trolls like it here because this is the only forum where they are tolerated/encouraged. So we have the following options:
1. Vote with your feet, leave this forum and don't come back. Or, at least, don't post, just lurk.
2. Use the Ignore function like me, Ron and many others. That way you are not goaded into responding to their drivel.
3.Carry on as usual.
4. Somebody start a new forum. There is a function in many forums where the users can ban trolls by use of Rep Points. The admin just sets the threshold and when a member pisses enough people off they get banned by votes. It's very easy. BTW, I'm pretty sure Simple Machines (The Den's software) has this option.

The problem with #1 above is that there really isn't much of an alternative. The Den is good but people have problems signing up. Maybe if Craig would allow someone to help out and get the site in good shape many of us could migrate. It would be the best answer, IMHO.

UTEP fans, we are a Community and we need to forgive each other.

Last edited:
Eh, I keep trying to skip to 1:39, but the embed feature here is clunky. But yes, look to each other (as much as you can on a message board) and "extend to that the person the same compassion you extend to sharks, pencils, and Ben Affleck. I want you to say to that person, I forgive you".

STCARLOSEP, I'd like you to say, "I forgive you".

Reactions: Cicileslie
The Trolls obviously have the blessing of the Admins, probably to drive up the post count. This thread is a perfect example. This post is number 88 and this thread wouldn't exist if it weren't for trolls.

The funny part is this thread was posted by a "non-troll" and there have been a few threads like this. You don't see "The Problem With Homers" threads.

The trolls like it here because this is the only forum where they are tolerated/encouraged. So we have the following options:
1. Vote with your feet, leave this forum and don't come back. Or, at least, don't post, just lurk.
2. Use the Ignore function like me, Ron and many others. That way you are not goaded into responding to their drivel.
3.Carry on as usual.
4. Somebody start a new forum. There is a function in many forums where the users can ban trolls by use of Rep Points. The admin just sets the threshold and when a member pisses enough people off they get banned by votes. It's very easy. BTW, I'm pretty sure Simple Machines (The Den's software) has this option.

The problem with #1 above is that there really isn't much of an alternative. The Den is good but people have problems signing up. Maybe if Craig would allow someone to help out and get the site in good shape many of us could migrate. It would be the best answer, IMHO.

This guy above is as much of a pain in the a$$ as any troll imo. In fact he is a troll of different order. By calling others trolls, myself included because I agreed with a statement another "troll" expressed, he appears to assume the positions of judge and jury. If anyone is out of line on this forum and deserves to be banned, it is him. I find it funny that he represents himself as some sort of sheep herder trying to lead the discontented away from this site to another more agreeable forum. But if moderators should be wary of anyone, it should be roundsound for trying to blatantly poach from this site. As if any of the posters are here against their will. As if posters are not aware of the other Miner sites and have not already investigated them to some extent. He mentions not posting here as an expression of rebellion and in the same sentence mentions "lurking" as an alternative. What?!? It is my opinion that roundsound is just too vanilla for the site. He has made it clear that he is utilizing his ignore function to it's fullest extent. Why is he still around bitching and moaning, I wonder, when his time could be better spent agreeing with those whom he already agrees with? How fun! Answer: Because he likes to rile the "trolls" by calling them such so that he can spend some quality time communicating with his own kind.

"There is a function in many forums where the users can ban trolls by use of Rep Points. The admin just sets the threshold and when a member pisses enough people off they get banned by votes. It's very easy." - YES, we need this!

STCarlos - ok, I give in, you're a "fan"................there are very good fans and not so good fans, you are not a very good fan. Some fans are better fans than others, on a scale of 1 to 10, your maybe a .000001 and I'm being generous (very).

"So what is UTEP doing to get me to go to the games?" - REALLY??? I've never had to ask myself that -weird...........oh, and no one ever said you had to go to every game, so stop stating that....

Reactions: Cicileslie
STCarlos - ok, I give in, you're a "fan"................there are very good fans and not so good fans, you are not a very good fan. Some fans are better fans than others, on a scale of 1 to 10, your maybe a .000001 and I'm being generous (very).

There are very good spellers and not so good spellers, you are not a very good speller. Some spellers are better spellers than others, on a scale of 1 to 10 YOU'RE maybe a .000001% (doesn't make sense without the percentage sign) and I'm being generous (very).

I don't put anybody on ignore, but I learned not to respond to certain people on here. The refreshing result is those people rarely post or discontinued posting on here.

That is the apparent answer, at least to me, is to just not respond if you don't want to. The best way to end a conversation is to disengage from it. What a novel concept. I understand that there are some stupid things said on this forum, and some of what I say is no exception, but even when I'm frustrated at some post(s), I am always aware that I am willingly participating in the continuation of whatever drama is unfolding by adding to the content of the discussion. Even bringing in a voice of reason makes one part of the "play". If people didn't enjoy it on some level, they'd have been gone long ago.

Ooooooohh - you GOT me - so b/c typing quickly I used "your" once instead of "you're" once - you feel better about yourself Spelling Police??

DAMMIT CHIHUAHUAS!!

aye_chihuahua_by_twiggy_trace.jpg

I forgive the trolls. It's not their fault that they come from a bad environment. But, that doesn't mean I want to be in the same room with them. Yuck.

"There is a function in many forums where the users can ban trolls by use of Rep Points. The admin just sets the threshold and when a member pisses enough people off they get banned by votes. It's very easy." - YES, we need this!

"So what is UTEP doing to get me to go to the games?" - REALLY??? I've never had to ask myself that -weird...........oh, and no one ever said you had to go to every game, so stop stating that....

You'd have to be foolish to think I am the only one that thinks this way. What is UTEP doing to draw fans to basketball games? Do they have exclusive concessions? Why should I go see UTEP vs SWAC team on a December Tuesday?

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
You'd have to be foolish to think I am the only one that thinks this way. What is UTEP doing to draw fans to basketball games? Do they have exclusive concessions? Why should I go see UTEP vs SWAC team on a December Tuesday?

The simple answer for me is because they play at a level I could only play at in my dreams. I realize they could be better but they are what they are. It just so happens to be the Miners that I grew up watching and became a life long fan of.

This is the last thing I will say about the Troll vs Homer discussion. Some guy told me "Expletive you". I did not report him or make a stink to other posters about it. Some of you that are easily offended should go check out the Barney or PBS message boards and avoid the rest of the internet.

The simple answer for me is because they play at a level I could only play at in my dreams. I realize they could be better but they are what they are. It just so happens to be the Miners that I grew up watching and became a life long fan of.

Yeah I get that, but UTEP shows us SWAC teams at least once per year. Aside from that time Jackson St beat us or made it close, how many of those games are competitive?

Why doesn't Stull bring new opponents here? There are a lot of school's that don't draw flies to their games. They would take a payday I'm sure.

Yeah I get that, but UTEP shows us SWAC teams at least once per year. Aside from that time Jackson St beat us or made it close, how many of those games are competitive?

Why doesn't Stull bring new opponents here? There are a lot of school's that don't draw flies to their games. They would take a payday I'm sure.

Honestly, I think it's difficult to get talent to come into the Don. Despite it being years since UTEP has been acknowledged as a program to be reckoned with, those in the know realize that the Miners can be a difficult out in EP. Aside from my criticism of Floyd, I do believe he is trying desperately to up the level of competition that comes into the DHC. I've seen steady but slow improvements in scheduling during his stretch here. Kugler is hard at work as well and it will come slowly too. Not too sure how much Stull plays into that equation to be honest.

Honestly, I think it's difficult to get talent to come into the Don. Despite it being years since UTEP has been acknowledged as a program to be reckoned with, those in the know realize that the Miners can be a difficult out in EP. Aside from my criticism of Floyd, I do believe he is trying desperately to up the level of competition that comes into the DHC. I've seen steady but slow improvements in scheduling during his stretch here. Kugler is hard at work as well and it will come slowly too. Not too sure how much Stull plays into that equation to be honest.

How difficult do you think it would be to get San Jose St here? They're lucky to get 1,000 for any game. They would make more money coming here. Make them the opener in the Sun Bowl tourney. Way better than having Grambling.

There are a lot of other WCC, MVC, and MAC teams that don't draw flies. They should beat the bottom half of those teams soundly in any year.

Geez Senorita Banks, I wouldn't figure you to be calling people "gay". Is that all you have? Not even sure why you would keep responding since you seem to be above this "trolling".

I only except immaturity from him and his "crew". His homophobic friend raandy would do the same things. The people who are homophobic are normally the ones who are insecure not only in life in general but also in their sexuality. Unless you're really immature calling somebody gay isn't funny.

Reactions: STCarlosEP
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT