ADVERTISEMENT

There's the UTEP we know.

shyminer81

MI Hall of Famer
May 22, 2006
Vancouver Washington
They had a legit shot early on, but fell apart at the end of the half and just continued in the 2nd. 12 guys on the field, when you are getting the ball back? same o on offense... I guess it could be worse, could be a blow out. Just sucks to know it was a 3-7 game early on.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
The 50+ yard field goal attempt, the ensuing breakdown on defense, the 12 men on the field. It's one thing when the other team is better, and Southern Miss is better than us, but we bailed them out.

I like what Kugler wants to do here, but this is the kind of stuff that makes it hard to defend him.

The 50+ yard field goal attempt, the ensuing breakdown on defense, the 12 men on the field. It's one thing when the other team is better, and Southern Miss is better than us, but we bailed them out.

I like what Kugler wants to do here, but this is the kind of stuff that makes it hard to defend him.

Season is not and has not turned out the way he or anyone expected.

hi-res-4dd957d999fa765db071c86c3ffeb06b_crop_north.jpg

Miss me yet?! Love, David Lee

Season is not and has not turned out the way he or anyone expected.

What is there to defend? It's his third year. He obviously threw all his eggs in his basket with Jones. He is extremely lucky that USM dropped four or so pic 6's. Dang Leftwich kept looking his receivers all the way.

What is there to defend? It's his third year. He obviously threw all his eggs in his basket with Jones. He is extremely lucky that USM dropped four or so pic 6's. Dang Leftwich kept looking his receivers all the way.

I agree with you, there's nothing to defend. I'm sure starting the season he didn't envision having the season he's had. I'm not a fan of Lefts and I think the staff did a disservice to the team and themselves starting him. But that's water under the bridge at this point.

Left is our savior under the Kugler bus. Either get on the bus or get the f off as far as Kulger is concerned. Did you see that one tall USM defensive end just bat Lefty's ball back like 20 yards?

Left is our savior under the Kugler bus. Either get on the bus or get the f off as far as Kulger is concerned. Did you see that one tall USM defensive end just bat Lefty's ball back like 20 yards?
Big Ben has had two balls batted down this year.
Give us a reason for that 2step

Yeah why do our QB's look at the receiver all the way? Do they not look at film to correct that mistake?

Its a dumbed down passing tree. Alot of schools do it for young qbs. Basically you work one side of the field have two reads, if they are both covered up you pull the ball down and run or throw it away. I understand why they did that for Metz but im not sure why they are doing it for Lefty. Hes a coaches son and has a high football iq he can handle an advanced passing tree.

As for Leftwich, ive been impressed. He has proven he is a legit d1 qb. He is not spectacular but he is more than adequate. He doesnt make mistakes he only has one interception in 114 pass attempts. He is definitely the best option we have right now.

Reactions: minerdear
Its a dumbed down passing tree. Alot of schools do it for young qbs. Basically you work one side of the field have two reads, if they are both covered up you pull the ball down and run or throw it away. I understand why they did that for Metz but im not sure why they are doing it for Lefty. Hes a coaches son and has a high football iq he can handle an advanced passing tree.

As for Leftwich, ive been impressed. He has proven he is a legit d1 qb. He is not spectacular but he is more than adequate. He doesnt make mistakes he only has one interception in 114 pass attempts. He is definitely the best option we have right now.
I haven't been impressed with Lefty, but after watching the three QB's that have played I do agree he's the best option. Would like to see what Simpson has, but I think we can all agree that dog won't hunt. Would love if they bring in a JC QB for next year .

One of my Alpine connections says that Seth Russell is gonna transfer from Baylor when he gets healthy. He will be a great pick up.

I still have high hopes for Kavika, just wished he had redshirted this year to mature. He reminds me so much of Russell Wilson of the Seahawks, the way he runs, the way he's built, everything. I think both Kavika and Metz just lacked the confidence and felt the pressure of having the reigns a lot sooner than they thought they would.

Yeah why do our QB's look at the receiver all the way? Do they not look at film to correct that mistake?

I know Miner4life gave you a great explanation for your question. The other reasons are inexperience and comfort. Inexperienced QBs have a tendency to focus on one WR and never look off the safety or do their progressions. Second, comfort. A QB that isn't comfortable in the pocket will stare down his first choice like it's a t-bone steak on the grill, just waiting and waiting. All of this centers on continually developing a passing game that plays to your QBs strengths, not his weaknesses. Left needs passing lanes. A strong suggestion is to pay attention to how the Seahawks use Wilson in their passing game. He's in the gun, rolls out, etc.. When he does drop back from under center, he's rarely throwing really deep routes.

I still have high hopes for Kavika, just wished he had redshirted this year to mature. He reminds me so much of Russell Wilson of the Seahawks, the way he runs, the way he's built, everything. I think both Kavika and Metz just lacked the confidence and felt the pressure of having the reigns a lot sooner than they thought they would.

I wish they hadn't of burned his, but I understand that he looked good in practice and in camp. I get they wanted to get their playmakers on the field. But you don't rotate your QBs. That RARELY works on any level. QBs get into and out of a rhythm and the fastest way to get them out of one is to take them out of a game for a few plays, then stick them back in. I'm not a fan of rotating QBs and based on statistics, neither is the game itself.

Metz has history on his side as far as former Andress HS Eagles playing for UTEP.

The problem is not the players at this time. It's the lousy ass coaching. The tackling has not improved since the IW game, life keeps promoting Lefty, who does have a good arm, but he is not FBS material. He has shown good games against NMSU (prior to getting knocked out) and FAU, and was poor against USM. However, then again, we do have Higgins and God forbid Kugler fire him. Perhaps Lefty just needs a sold OC to bring out his talents better?

Kugler did a Tibetan spiritual self-examination renewal three weeks ago, but obviously it didn't work because that USM game UTEP took two steps back again. Other than the defensive line and linebackers (it was nice to see Jones lay out one of the USM receivers in the 2nd half), I seriously doubt the players strength and conditioning.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
Metz has history on his side as far as former Andress HS Eagles playing for UTEP.

The problem is not the players at this time. It's the lousy ass coaching. The tackling has not improved since the IW game, life keeps promoting Lefty, who does have a good arm, but he is not FBS material. He has shown good games against NMSU (prior to getting knocked out) and FAU, and was poor against USM. However, then again, we do have Higgins and God forbid Kugler fire him. Perhaps Lefty just needs a sold OC to bring out his talents better?

Kugler did a Tibetan spiritual self-examination renewal three weeks ago, but obviously it didn't work because that USM game UTEP took two steps back again. Other than the defensive line and linebackers (it was nice to see Jones lay out one of the USM receivers in the 2nd half), I seriously doubt the players strength and conditioning.

Im not promoting Leftwich. Im simply pointing out that he is the best option at the current time. I think before the season most doubted Leftwich's abilities in the passing game. He has proven he can play at this level
Metz is not mentally ready to play qb at this level. I agree with develman we need to bring in a JC qb. Im still high on Kavika he definitely has the highest ceiling of any of our qbs.

Im not promoting Leftwich. Im simply pointing out that he is the best option at the current time. I think before the season most doubted Leftwich's abilities in the passing game. He has proven he can play at this level
Metz is not mentally ready to play qb at this level. I agree with develman we need to bring in a JC qb. Im still high on Kavika he definitely has the highest ceiling of any of our qbs.

Well I'm certain Simpson is transferring at the end of the season and that'll free up one spot. Knowing what he's going to be working with going into next season the question becomes does Metz stay or does he transfer as well. When this season ends it's going to be very telling to see what kind of turnover happens, if any.

Last edited:

I getcha

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT