Votes: 16 88.9%
  • No

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JCorona

MI Miner Maniac
Jun 15, 2014
Thursday's game vs ODU is as close to a playoff game as we can get. It's very simple the winner clinches the #3 seed and receives the easier path to the CUSA championship game. While the loser doesn't go home but they will have a much tougher time earning the auto bid.

UTEP has been in similar situations the past two years late in February. Both times have not gone the Miners way.

Last year on February 25 UTEP was riding a six game winning streak. With a conference record of 9-6 they travelled to Norfolk to meet this very same ODU team with huge implications. A win by UTEP and they would enter into the top four of the conference standings a loss and they slip a place into 6th. ODU (8-6) broke down the Miners beating them 74-53 and taking over the Miners fifth place in the standings. ODU went on to finish on a three way tie for third while UTEP fell to 10-8 and a sixth seed.

Two years ago on February 26 UTEP was on seven game winning streak. A half game behind the conference leader. UTEP went into Ruston (12-3) to decide who would be in 1st place. Tim Floyd was ejected, suspended and UTEP suffered another embarrassing 77-60 defeat on national television. The end result was a conference regular title for La Tech while UTEP settled for second place.

On March 2nd UTEP will put their five game winning streak on the line vs ODU. More importantly will be the #3 seed. A win and UTEP avoids the conference champs in the semis instead they possibly face off with La Tech a third time. A loss and it's more of the same for the faithful diehards.

This time the Don Haskins Center will host the big game with a healthy crowd expected. Will the Miners put on a show for El Paso or will they leave the fans with a bitter taste in their mouth?

Given that the Miners were swept by LA Tech but defeated MTSU, maybe the easier path for UTEP is to be the 4th seed so they can play against MTSU and hope that LA Tech is defeated in the semis, rather than being the 3rd seed and having to play LA Tech in the semis instead?

Given that the Miners were swept by LA Tech but defeated MTSU, maybe the easier path for UTEP is to be the 4th seed so they can play against MTSU and hope that LA Tech is defeated in the semis, rather than being the 3rd seed and having to play LA Tech in the semis instead?
That is an interesting point but I rather play LT a third time. It's hard to beat a team three times in the same season. We improved dramatically from the first meeting to the second game. The third would be a toss up with me giving the slight edge to UTEP.

This time around we would not have the home support and the element of surprise vs MT in the semis. It was an impressive comeback but I don't know if we would be able to duplicate that performance in Birmingham.

In the championship game everything goes out the window. Either way in the semis or the championship game it's going to be extremely difficult to use our broom on MTSU.

UTEP is the hottest team in CUSA right now, not the best team, the hottest....big difference.

UTEP will beat ODU Thursday. As of early yesterday afternoon, there were just 1,000 tickets left. So there will be at least 10,000 screaming Miner fans in The Don and that is intimidating and I hope UTEP fans give ODU a bit of what they deserve. Their basketball fans tend to be Ed Davis's on steroids...and alcohol. When ODU first came to the league and UTEP was at their place, it got ugly, and this was a newbie member! Let me put this in perspective, ODU fans think they deserve to be in a major conference member and are quiet full of themselves. If there was ever a game I would love to see D.A., Wilms and Harris unload on an opponent, it's ODU (with La Tech a very close second).

Now back down to reality. LT or MTSU? Does UTEP really want to face any of the two at all in the tournament? The big difference is MTSU is the one with the bulls eye on their back. The last two years, they played inspired giant killer basketball. The role is now flipped, they are the giant. LT (and UAB) have a long strong historical record knowing how to win some big games, MTSU not so much. If I was Vegas-buffet- eating-bum, my money is on La Tech for the tournament, they know how to win.

What appears to concern conferences coaches as far as UTEP goes are the Trio Towers of Wilms, Thomas and Jones. Wilms is playing inspired basketball and playing like a true big man and at the right time. Thomas is a young stud who has now blossomed and Jones is still just a kid but has the strength and attitude of a linebacker and gives quality back-up time for Thomas and Wilms, even when they're in foul trouble. These three have turned into a headache for CUSA opponents, and the Marshall coach pointed out weeks ago after their loss: UTEP was stronger and too big to match up against. So UTEP has that, but there are still two games and nothing is certain.

Sadly though, Floyd's record at UTEP speaks for itself this time of year, but man did I enjoy the ride the last few weeks. Please make me put my foot in my mouth Floyd! Please!

I say utep dont fear anyone beat whoever they face. If Utep is scared of some CUSA teams. Then they shouldnt go to NCAAs

Reactions: Carlosergio
I say utep dont fear anyone beat whoever they face. If Utep is scared of some CUSA teams. Then they shouldnt go to NCAAs

Not scared. There is just too much parity in a conference like ours. UTEP "should" beat anyone in CUSA. Unfortunately, that doesn't translate to automatic wins. I understood Haskins Fan's point...respect everybody...don't overlook anybody. Smart strategy.

Reactions: allminer
@miner1liner yes these are the same ODU fan base that utep2step has warned us about. Yes they write articles as does the local newspaper. There's a really good one about Jake and the charges he takes. He leads the nation.

I suspect they have the same problem El Paso does with the printed version. This particular article was published at 1230pm. There is no way it was included in today's Norfolk printed paper. Unless it's meant to go on tomorrow's printed edition. By then everyone with a smartphone that is interested in this game has already read it. It seems the EPT is following a national trend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT