• Yes

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 20 57.1%

• Total voters

JCorona

MI Miner Maniac
Jun 15, 2014
As of now Tim Floyd's seventh season is in the books. This is not intended to be a bash Floyd thread. Providing the numbers he has produced while coaching at UTEP.

2017 15-17 (12-6) Tied 3rd conference standings
RPI 227
Sos 231
Semifinals of the CUSA tournament.

2016 19-14 (10-8) 6th
RPI 215
Sos 280
Quarterfinals

2015 22-11 (13-5) T2nd - NIT 1st round
RPI 79
Sos 133
Semifinals

2014 23-11 (12-4) 5th* - CBI 1st round
RPI 95
Sos 139
Quarterfinals in EP

2013 18-14 (10-6) 3rd
RPI 96
Sos 79
Semifinals

2012 15-17 (7-9) 8th
RPI 147
Sos 80
Quarterfinals

2011 24-9 (11-5) T2nd - NIT 1st round
RPI 59
Sos 98
Championship game in EP

*one win from tie for 1st place.

Curious to which way the board is leaning regarding Floyd.

I think he coached his way off the hot seat this season. I have lots of optimism moving forward.

There were so many times during the second half of this season when I would watch us play and say "wow, we are a well Coached team". The way that our guys understood their assignments and helped eachother on defense, the way that we would run set plays against a zone or after a timeout. I do not have any question in my mind that Floyd can be a good game Coach. The issue is(and always has been) can he just keep his team/program together during the offseason, so that he doesn't constantly have to hit the reset button with a new group of players. Because that has been his main issue since being at UTEP, we won't really know our answer to your question until the start of next season.

BTW, it is scary that for 6 straight years we have alternated every single year between making the Quarterfinal then Semifinal. That type of continuous reset, with one step forward, then one step back, is not the best long-term trend to have. We will have to break a 6/7 year trend in order to advance past the quarterfinals next year.

Last edited:
Nice mid season turnaround. Too little, too late. Just not satisfied with the less than mediocre results over 7 years. A 136-93 overall record in this conference? Ready for a coaching change that just ain't gonna happen. Not going to hate on Floyd. Just answering truthfully. Would welcome a change.

Interesting observations so far with the seven year alternating between quarterfinals and semifinals or better performance. With his overall record at 136-93 that means he is 75-43 CUSA and 61-50 OOC.

I'll do additional research tomorrow and add more detailed info.

I wanted a coaching change at the beginning of the season and I want one now as well. Overall, this still wasn't a great season. Floyd lost to teams he has no business losing to and finished with a losing record. Sure, there was that winning streak, but at the end of the day it means nothing now.

So mid Tennessee has looked damn impressive who on here would rather have Kermit Davis than Floyd?

Unfortunately just by the numbers you can tell the program is trending downward. Aside from the losses to weaker programs we have been dominated by NMSU over the last couple of years and that in my opinion is unacceptable. My only hope is The Miners play better earlier in the season.

I just want Stull to retire. He did a lot of good things for UTEP but it's time to go. UTEP needs new energy. New energy will either make Kug and Floyd to get serious about winning a conference championship or move on. I am in no way overly excited about basketball next season. Floyd is restocking, not reloading. Young players take time to acclimate to D1. NMSU owns UTEP in basketball and UTEP is not the caliber of La Tech or MTSU. And with football around the corner and its brutal schedule, miner fans will get demoralized.....again.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
First off mtsu has an 80s sorta like we did they went to the tournament in 82,85,87, and 89 and made it past the first in 82 and 89 so they have a history similar to utep....

Now my whole point is patience...

Tim Floyd in his first seven seasons is 137-92

Kermit Davis in his first seven was 118-96

That's almost 20 wins different

The fan base was patient with Davis and he has repaid that knocking off a 2 seed last year and with their outstanding record this year....

Since his 10th year

He has won 27,28,24, 19 , 25,and 27

If they had given up on him at the beginning they would have fired him before he could've shown what he could do!!!

Not only that I asked if some if they would rather keep Floyd or Davis and some said meh would rather have someone else... and knowing utep money restrictions we could probably only go after an up n coming assistant and they would rather have an unproven coach vs two coaches who have been to multiple NCAA tournaments with a history of success, not to mention mtsu has only lost 4 games all season and knocked off a top seed last year..... that to me is absolutely nuts!!' I just don't understand the logic ?

I am very patient with Floyd because he is a great coach, he knows his x 's and o's and sure he needs to work on keeping kids here... and adapt but with his knowledge of the game things will click into place we just need to be patient!!

i got a lot of heat for saying players like Paul Thomas and wilms would be huge for this team and look how they turned out.... Thomas has a chance to be really really good next year!!

P A T I E N C E!!!

There was something about this years team that makes me believe we have finally turned the corner.... the kids it seemed to have finally bought into floyds system and seen the results

Just my 2 cents

I am very patient with Floyd because he is a great coach, he knows his x 's and o's and sure he needs to work on keeping kids here... and adapt but with his knowledge of the game things will click into place we just need to be patient!!

Mr. Purple, you obviously are a huge UTEP fan and I'd probably enjoy having a beer or six with you. But I'm gonna come in the front door with you. You and fans like you are the reason this program is in the tank. Seriously. Really. You pay your money, you donate, you show up, you show your colors, and you don't piss and moan about anything. You are content with schedules and RPIs that defy gravity. You don't ask for production, you don't insist on accountability - from Floyd, from Stull, from anybody. You'll make excuses from hell to breakfast - for anybody, anytime. You are the "perfect" UTEP fan and God bless it, Bob Stull just loves you. You deserve what you're getting because you're satisfied with what you're getting. And will get again next year. And if you think this team is a JC transfer or a good high school kid away from turning this thing around, well...

And if you have a honest bone in your body, you know the talent differential in yesterday's game was simply off the grid. UTEP had players on the floor that wouldn't start for a good junior college. And I'm not talking about your 3rd guy off the bench, either.

UTEP is an excellent academic institution with a distant - really distant - basketball tradition. Why people like you would just settle for anything - you must be a settler...

Last edited:
Not at all.... Harris wilms and Thomas should be all conference level players next season 1-3rd team ... then I think tim Cameron will be a welcome addition next season and then you just need two out of 5 players coming in to make an impact.... and continued development of touchet and barret and we will definitely have a chance to win the league next year .... you don't have to agree with me but that's what I see happening barring an off season meltdown

And it's not about settling is about being patient to construct something great..... Rome wasn't built over night ;)

Not at all.... Harris wilms and Thomas should be all conference level players next season 1-3rd team ... then I think tim Cameron will be a welcome addition next season and then you just need two out of 5 players coming in to make an impact.... and continued development of touchet and barret and we will definitely have a chance to win the league next year .... you don't have to agree with me but that's what I see happening barring an off season meltdown

And it's not about settling is about being patient to construct something great..... Rome wasn't built over night ;)

So are we making the Big Dance next year?

I don't think we should have to wait 10 years.

I am saying what I have been saying since the beginning have patience... if teams had given up on coaches like Kermit Davis who has won an average of about 25 games a year over the past 5 years they would have never seen those results....

Period

I am saying what I have been saying since the beginning have patience... if teams had given up on coaches like Kermit Davis who has won an average of about 25 games a year over the past 5 years they would have never seen those results....

Period

So you're saying we have to keep waiting. That's unacceptable to me. This doesn't happen in the business world or in really any other line of work.

Mr. Purple, you obviously are a huge UTEP fan and I'd probably enjoy having a beer or six with you. But I'm gonna come in the front door with you. You and fans like you are the reason this program is in the tank. Seriously. Really. You pay your money, you donate, you show up, you show your colors, and you don't piss and moan about anything. You are content with schedules and RPIs that defy gravity. You don't ask for production, you don't insist on accountability - from Floyd, from Stull, from anybody. You'll make excuses from hell to breakfast - for anybody, anytime. You are the "perfect" UTEP fan and God bless it, Bob Stull just loves you. You deserve what you're getting because you're satisfied with what you're getting. And will get again next year. And if you think this team is a JC transfer or a good high school kid away from turning this thing around, well...

And if you have a honest bone in your body, you know the talent differential in yesterday's game was simply off the grid. UTEP had players on the floor that wouldn't start for a good junior college. And I'm not talking about your 3rd guy off the bench, either.

UTEP is an excellent academic institution with a distant - really distant - basketball tradition. Why people like you would just settle for anything - you must be a settler...

I completely agree. It is always next year. If you are satisfied being average than more power to you. In my opinion we kept Price too long for the same reasons. There is no reason in the world that we have not reached the NCAA tournament in 7 seasons, because too many of the fans are ok with it. And these fans are truly the ones to blame.

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
I completely agree. It is always next year. If you are satisfied being average than more power to you. In my opinion we kept Price too long for the same reasons. There is no reason in the world that we have not reached the NCAA tournament in 7 seasons, because too many of the fans are ok with it. And these fans are truly the ones to blame.

At least Price went to 2 bowl games with Nord's players. Floyd couldn't do anything with Barbee's players.

Reactions: Rocketsr
Is MTSU and Davis the exception rather than the rule? Any other current teams that patiently waited on a coach for a decade and are now experiencing great results?

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
I am saying what I have been saying since the beginning have patience... if teams had given up on coaches like Kermit Davis who has won an average of about 25 games a year over the past 5 years they would have never seen those results....Period

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph...

It's not about wins (especially in THIS age where you can SCHEDULE yourself 20 wins). It's about trajectory, it's about championships, it's about NCAA tournaments.
In other words,
  • Are you getting better each year?
  • Do you truly compete in every game?
  • Do you beat everybody your supposed to beat and a few you're not?
  • Are you winning championships in a totally winnable league?
  • Are you going to the NCAAs?
THAT is how you measure progress. Apparently you have different measuring criteria, like proclaiming three projected starters next year as all-conference before this year's team has even put its uniforms away. I mean, I appreciate enthusiasm and optimism, but goodness gracious...

In a way I have a hard time knocking someone being optimistic about next year. Just because of the fact we all do that every year in football and basketball. Football season starts and people on this board are predicting 10 wins and a bowl victory and then we're jumping ship by week 3. Same in basketball. Let's all hope for the best and expect the worst.

In a way I have a hard time knocking someone being optimistic about next year. Just because of the fact we all do that every year in football and basketball. Football season starts and people on this board are predicting 10 wins and a bowl victory and then we're jumping ship by week 3. Same in basketball. Let's all hope for the best and expect the worst.

It's not about being optimistic, it's about saying to have patience and to accept mediocrity. I have no problem being optimistic about the next season, but it's been seven years with no results.

So you really saying that's what mid Tennessee state did?? They accepted mediocrity with Kermit Davis?? If that's mediocrity sign me up averaging around 25 wins the past 5 seasons

Why shouldn't I be optimistic we were 13-4 over the last 17 games and could have easily been 15-2 (la tech/old dominion) and we return everyone except one.... surely we can make up that one spot between the 5-6 coming in?? Not to mention a lot of the incoming players look a lot more athletic... just seeing that should put us with high expectations for next year...... if we get by the damn offseason.... Floyd has had some awful luck no one could have predicted.....

Reactions: mikesarabia
Why shouldn't I be optimistic we were 13-4 over the last 17 games and could have easily been 15-2 (la tech/old dominion) and we return everyone except one.... surely we can make up that one spot between the 5-6 coming in?? Not to mention a lot of the incoming players look a lot more athletic... just seeing that should put us with high expectations for next year...... if we get by the damn offseason.... Floyd has had some awful luck no one could have predicted.....

The question is: Why should be optimistic?

Reactions: alvinosports
Jesus, Mary, and Joseph...

It's not about wins (especially in THIS age where you can SCHEDULE yourself 20 wins). It's about trajectory, it's about championships, it's about NCAA tournaments.
In other words,
  • Are you getting better each year?
  • Do you truly compete in every game?
  • Do you beat everybody your supposed to beat and a few you're not?
  • Are you winning championships in a totally winnable league?
  • Are you going to the NCAAs?
THAT is how you measure progress. Apparently you have different measuring criteria, like proclaiming three projected starters next year as all-conference before this year's team has even put its uniforms away. I mean, I appreciate enthusiasm and optimism, but goodness gracious...

Jesus Mary Joseph and the 12 disciples.....

Again I look at Davis.... you would have had Davis fired by now going by your criteria ----- they have averaged 25 wins the past 5 seasons not a smart move

Purple...you say a rendition of this same thing EVERY season...and have for the last several years. I know it's your opinion, but opinions don't mean much and a lot of opinions that have been in opposition to yours reflect reality much more accurately from year to year. You constantly "hope" for next year. You cannot deny that. You may get it right one year, after whiffing for 7 straight but you are 0 - fer...You have missed year after hopeful year. I agree with Lasercoog's assessment of you.

I answered your question about "Kermit or Floyd". I could tell you that before KS took over for mtsu he only had 7 years of head coaching experience compared to CTF's 20 plus before he took over UTEP, and three of those were JC ball, and 3 of those years were at Idaho. Floyd has the NBA inroads to help recruiting and Kermit doesn't. Kermit has won 4 conference championship titles to Floyd's zero. Kermit is 2-1 in NIT games, to Floyd's 0-2. Kermit Has been to 4 NCAAs to Floyd's zero. He is at Middle ****ing Tennessee State and recruiting quality NCAA players. Not being a dick at all. Your projections are hollow as far as I'm concerned. You miss, by far, every year. Wish in one hand and shit in the other. I don't care, though. I'm a hater because I bring a little reality to the discussion and have been mostly right in my projections for the last several years. I see the same fate for us next year...no NCAA tourney. Mark my words, pg will be our achillles heel next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT