ADVERTISEMENT

Tony White next UTEP HC?

kickballpro

MI Miner Maniac
Mar 24, 2006
Tony White is the current Nebraska Defensive Coordinator. He’s a Burges High Graduate. I came across this interview and at the 26:45 mark, Matt Rhule talks about Tony White becoming a head coach. And I have to wonder if he’s talking about UTEP because it’s spot on.

Aztecs contact Nebraska defensive coordinator Tony White in search for new head coach​

Nebraska defensive coordinator Tony White has Cornhuskers ranked among nation's top 20 in scoring defense and total defense.

Nebraska defensive coordinator Tony White has Cornhuskers ranked among nation’s top 20 in scoring defense and total defense.

(Michael Reaves / Getty Images)

Cornhuskers’ strength has been defense guided by White, who was an SDSU assistant coach from 2009-17 before crisscrossing country moving up coaching ranks​

BY KIRK KENNEY
NOV. 21, 2023 8:35 AM PT
Nebraska defensive coordinator Tony White has been contacted by San Diego State in its search for a new head football coach, sources told the Union-Tribune.
SDSU is among several schools that are expected be interested in White, who also serves as the Cornhuskers’ associate head coach.
Nebraska (5-6) is on the cusp of bowl eligibility as it closes out the regular season Friday against Iowa (9-2).

White, 44, is getting national attention after leading a defense that ranks 15th in the nation in total defense (307.7 ypg) and 19th in scoring defense (18.7). He has a strong connection to SDSU after coaching for the Aztecs from 2009-17. White spent all nine years as cornerbacks coach, adding recruiting coordinator to his responsibilities in 2011.
White’s time on the SDSU staff allowed him to learn the intricacies of the 3-3-5 defense alongside Rocky Long.
White played for Long before becoming a peer. When Long was defensive coordinator at UCLA during the 1996-97 seasons, he recruited White to play linebacker for the Bruins.

In 2008, White began his coaching career as Long’s linebackers coach at New Mexico. A year later, both men were hired at SDSU when Brady Hoke became head coach.
The experience at SDSU led to opportunities as defensive coordinator at Arizona State (2019) and Syracuse (2020-22) before White joined head coach Matt Rhule this year at Nebraska.
In Monday’s weekly press conference, Rhule said White was deserving of a head coaching job.
“A search firm called me and asked for Tony White’s number, and I said, ‘Yes. You should hire Tony White. Tony White should be a head coach. He’s excellent,’” Rhule said.
While Rhule said he supports his assistant coaches when better coaching opportunities present themselves, he told White to make sure he didn’t take the wrong job.
“Don’t take a job with no resources,” Rhule said. “Don’t take a job with no support. Don’t take a job without a great recruiting base.
“Don’t take a job — hear me now when I say this, this is deep — where the expectations outweigh the commitment.”
For example?
“You want to be a 10-win team,” said Rhule, holding his right hand high.
“And you’re spending at the middle of your conference,” said Rhule, holding his left hand low while shaking his head side to side.
SDSU athletic director John David Wicker spoke about the Aztecs’ opening Nov. 14, a day after it was announced that Brady Hoke would not be returning.
Wicker called it “a very desirable job within college football.”
“If you look at Group of Five level, we’re right there at the top,” he said. “You can certainly look at the lower half of certain Power Five conferences and say, ‘San Diego State’s going to be a better job than that one because I’ve got a chance to win. I can go there and I can win conference championships. I can access the college football playoff. They’ve got a fantastic new stadium. The facilities are good enough.’ ”
The current on-campus facilities include a football practice field that is shared with women’s lacrosse as well as other club teams and intramural sports.
“Obviously, we’d like to do more with our facilities on campus, but we’ll see how that plays out,” Wicker said.
White makes $1 million at Nebraska, according to USA Today’s coaching salary database. The Cornhuskers would be expected to give White a substantial raise if they are to keep him from being lured away.
The top salaries for Mountain West head coach are approximately $2.3 million being paid to Wyoming’s Craig Bohl and San Jose State’s Brent Brennan.
Wicker said “that’s probably where we’ll end up being” with the new Aztecs head coach.
SDSU’s $2.5 million salary pool for assistant coaches already ranks highest in the Mountain West.
With Aztecs fans clamoring for an exciting, productive offense, a candidate with a defensive background, like White, will have to present Wicker with a “dynamic” offensive vision.
“We’ve won championships with defense here,” Wicker said last week. “But we also need to be better offensively, and I’m going to be interested in, if it is a defensive-minded head coach, what’s your plan (offensively). Who are you going to hire? What type of offense do you want to run?
“Because we want to generate some excitement.”
Rhule is convinced White is ready for the challenge.
“Anybody that’s called me about Tony, I’ve said, ‘Yeah, give him a shot,’ ” Rhule said.
In the past decade, Rhule has been a head coach at Temple and Baylor as well as with the NFL’s Carolina Panthers.
Speaking of the qualities required in a good head coach, Rhule said: “You have to have this knowledge of football that allows you to always paint the picture for the guys of how we want to win. You have to have a philosophy that’s embedded, that doesn’t sway when the results aren’t there. You have to be a person who cares about people and has genuine relationships, not just relationships with people who can do something for you.”
And it’s essential to be unflappable.
“I see that from Tony,” Rhule said. “I see him being able to stay even-keeled. The same guy every day. ... I see all those things from Tony. I hope he gets an opportunity. We don’t have enough coaches of diverse backgrounds.
“As much as anything, he’s just really smart.”
Wicker said last week that an executive search firm is assisting SDSU in its search. He intends to make a hire by mid-December.
AZTECSLATEST
Newsletter
The latest Padres, Chargers and Aztecs headlines along with the other top San Diego sports stories every morning.
Enter email address

SIGN ME UP
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the San Diego Union-Tribune.

Kirk Kenney
Show Comments
Support our journalism
Submit a story tip
Report a problem with this story

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
***White should be the next SDSU head coach.

I’m begging for Marion from UNLV that offense he runs is so fun and he is a good QB developer/evaluator up and coming young coordinator with P5 experience. Bring in Robert Rodriguez to coach the D for the cheap and load up on young hungry assistants. @GymCenter should be reaching out Saturday night once Liberty beats Dimel and have him in next week for an interview.

Tony White is the current Nebraska Defensive Coordinator. He’s a Burges High Graduate. I came across this interview and at the 26:45 mark, Matt Rhule talks about Tony White becoming a head coach. And I have to wonder if he’s talking about UTEP because it’s spot on.

I think Tony White would be an excellent choice as UTEP’s HC. Besides being the DC at NU, he’s also the Associate Head Coach. He’s an experienced DC at a P5 school, young guy (relatively speaking), with strong ties to EP and Texas. Nothing speaks better than the HC endorsing one of his assistants. I just hope SDSU or another school don’t take him first.

I’m begging for Marion from UNLV that offense he runs is so fun and he is a good QB developer/evaluator up and coming young coordinator with P5 experience. Bring in Robert Rodriguez to coach the D for the cheap and load up on young hungry assistants. @GymCenter should be reaching out Saturday night once Liberty beats Dimel and have him in next week for an interview.

I doubt Robert Rodriguez would give up an NFL job to coach at UTEP.

I would definitely take Tony White over Brennan Marion, but an even better choice would be Skip Holtz.

Reactions: FedupMiner
I doubt Robert Rodriguez would give up an NFL job to coach at UTEP.

I would definitely take Tony White over Brennan Marion, but an even better choice would be Skip Holtz.
The question with any candidate would be can UTEP pay them enough? And not just that, can Senter and Wilson sell those guys the vision that is UTEP athletics? I’m sure they will be courted by schools that will pay more and where there will be proper investment in Athletics. It’s going to be a tough sell if UTEP goes “750k a year, and make chicken soup of of chicken shit. We don’t have any money.”

The question with any candidate would be can UTEP pay them enough? And not just that, can Senter and Wilson sell those guys the vision that is UTEP athletics? I’m sure they will be courted by schools that will pay more and where there will be proper investment in Athletics. It’s going to be a tough sell if UTEP goes “750k a year, and make chicken soup of of chicken shit. We don’t have any money.”
Yup, -1Mil just isn't gonna cut it anymore for a quality coach the ilk of a Tony White, cause he'll have much higher paying options it seems. We can maybe get a FCS coach or lower paid assistant with that kind of money. Eventually Utep is going to have to stop marching in the Whoa As Me Pity Party Parade and pay for a quality coach if we want quality results!

This really should be our next choice for head coach - and really his to turn down- great experience and history with a Miner legacy. Sure he could bring in a great team of assistants,which is something that needs to be considered as we try to awake “this sleeping giant”

The blueprint for maximizing success here at UTEP is 30 miles north in LC.

With the average-below average offensive and defensive talent UTEP attracts, UTEP NEEDS a coach who can recruit a dual threat QB who can throw the ball effectively and put points on the scoreboard.

Any coach who desires to implement a power running offense at UTEP is destined for FAILURE (Kugler, Dimel, Lee, Bailey)….AGAIN!

If you look at UTEP football history the last 50-60 years, only the coaches with a dynamic passing offense achieved any success (Stull, Price, Nord, Dobbs) here. It’s not guaranteed success but it gives UTEP the best shot at winning.

Last edited:
We need to stay away from retreads even if they come cheap. Skip Holtz’s overall college winning percentage is .557…nothing to get excited about. I would rather have UTEP bring in a young top assistant coach from a successful program or a successful coach from a lower Division program. I agree with piggy in bringing a high powered offense to give us a chance to compete and give the fans an exciting brand of football.

The search is 2 weeks in already....:cool:

UTEP doesn't need to bring in ANYONE with ties to the university. I agree White, is going to have better options and get paid well over 1 million. If UTEP goes the route of 750k, then expect the same in 6 years... Don't be shocked to see our first 1 million dollar coach, for the "right" guy. The question is, will the coach, think this gig is worth it??

Reactions: FedupMiner
UTEP doesn't need to bring in ANYONE with ties to the university. I agree White, is going to have better options and get paid well over 1 million. If UTEP goes the route of 750k, then expect the same in 6 years... Don't be shocked to see our first 1 million dollar coach, for the "right" guy. The question is, will the coach, think this gig is worth it??
I'll stick with my 2 Jason picks
Jason Eck- Idaho HC or
Jason Simpson Tenn Martin HC
2 successful coaches at the FCS level who will probably embrace the transfer portal and know how to win on limited Budgets.

I'll stick with my 2 Jason picks
Jason Eck- Idaho HC or
Jason Simpson Tenn Martin HC
2 successful coaches at the FCS level who will probably embrace the transfer portal and know how to win on limited Budgets.
Skip Holtz is your guy then. Proven mid major resume.

Reactions: EPUTEP
Imo, success at UTEP hinges on securing a seasoned HC with a proven track record at the G5 level. Someone who already won, moved up but “struggled” at the P5 levels and is looking for redemption while they prove themselves again in search for a bigger opportunity. While options fitting this criteria are limited, Holtz is appealing, yet I lean toward a younger candidate. Currently, my top realistic choice is Matt Wells.

This really should be our next choice for head coach - and really his to turn down- great experience and history with a Miner legacy. Sure he could bring in a great team of assistants,which is something that needs to be considered as we try to awake “this sleeping giant”

No thanks, he has been a disaster at Baylor. Many folks in Waco are wondering why he hasn’t been fired. They are towards in bottom in points scored on offense in the Big12 and UTEP is towards the bottom in points scored in CUSA. We can’t afford 6 more years of mediocrity.

Last edited:

My pick also. On the other UTEP board, MIW just posted that Marion has interviewed for the SDSU head coaching job.

A proven coach that UTEP could afford right now is Curt Cignetti, but I’m sure bigger programs will be calling. But that brings up an interesting point. When have we ever looked at a successful FCS coach? I believe if you look at the two coordinators on Kill’s stafff, they came with tons of experience from the FCS level. Just curious? Then we could actually get a proven head coach with the right price tag. 🤷‍♀️

A guy that should be considered is Clint Killough. He’s a young offensive minded coach with strong Texas ties. He’s done a great job in his first year at UIW. Killough has a 9 - 2 record in his first year, which is impressive considering Kinne took several top coaches with him. UIW has been able to bring in solid players through the transfer portal and plays a QB friendly style. I know UTEP beat them earlier this year, but the game was close and UIW has responded well after that loss.

We need to stay away from retreads even if they come cheap. Skip Holtz’s overall college winning percentage is .557…nothing to get excited about. I would rather have UTEP bring in a young top assistant coach from a successful program or a successful coach from a lower Division program. I agree with piggy in bringing a high powered offense to give us a chance to compete and give the fans an exciting brand of football.
Way too high win percentage for Senter/Wilson

Nothing to get excited about? He won bowl games and conference championships.

but on the hand... if we keep "old man" Dimel, then i suspect the tickets price will come "way" down to counter the general inflation we are experiencing now. Now that's a win-win solution..
or just hire Tony White as the OC... problem solved...

but on the hand... if we keep "old man" Dimel, then i suspect the tickets price will come "way" down to counter the general inflation we are experiencing now. Now that's a win-win solution..
or just hire Tony White as the OC... problem solved...

Tony White won't be the OC at UTEP. Tickets prices aren't decreasing. They are already relatively cheap.

I wonder if alumni/donors who Senter might possibly listen to with influence told him "Hey ya gotta get rid of Dimel" I can't see Dimel having much support these days, but I could be wrong. I'd guess if we know what's up, Senter has to have a sense of the Miner Fans Base and Donors not happy with Dimel and wanting a change. If Senter is to get the support he'd like next year for Miner Football, he has to know Dimel's done!

Back to the Matt Rhule comments.

Rhule was saying the resources need to match expectations.

Does UTEP have resources?
Do they have expectations?
Do they have the Admin Support?

San Diego State has a new Stadium, they had a major upgrade in locker rooms, and they have an Athletic Performance Center.

I am sure the firm that contacted Rhule was from San Diego State. However, the job he was describing that no one should ever take was basically a description of UTEP.

Back to the Matt Rhule comments.

Rhule was saying the resources need to match expectations.

Does UTEP have resources?
Do they have expectations?
Do they have the Admin Support?

San Diego State has a new Stadium, they had a major upgrade in locker rooms, and they have an Athletic Performance Center.

I am sure the firm that contacted Rhule was from San Diego State. However, the job he was describing that no one should ever take was basically a description of UTEP.

No, No, and No

Tony White isn't coming to UTEP. It's not happening. He's not going to make less at UTEP as a head coach that being a DC at Nebraska.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT