ADVERTISEMENT

Tough Pill....

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
Tough Tough loss, especially for Morris! They played hard no complaints, just too many missed layups and foul trouble. Winn is gonna be a Beast next year. Honestly hope Floyd makes an exception with post season, this team was fun to watch the last 11 games!

Reactions: allminer
Now that its over I think its time to look at the big picture. We have an rpi of 211. We are sixth in a conference ranked 23rd in rpi. We outspend everyone in cusa, yet for the 6th straight season are missing the tournament. Floyds best year was with Barbee's players. This program is going nowhere. Its time for Stull to make a move and fire Floyd. Playing this poorly in this bad a conference is inexcusable.

Now that its over I think its time to look at the big picture. We have an rpi of 211. We are sixth in a conference ranked 23rd in rpi. We outspend everyone in cusa, yet for the 6th straight season are missing the tournament. Floyds best year was with Barbee's players. This program is going nowhere. Its time for Stull to make a move and fire Floyd. Playing this poorly in this bad a conference is inexcusable.
I agree. Stull should fire you. Bye, loser.

I agrer with life but firing at this point will not solve anything at this point. UTEP has to much to lose with his firing with player transfers.

I've been criticle of this team, but fact is this was a rebuilding year and we were without two players Floyd expected to be Big Contributors. Winn, Moore, Harris and Artist are a good nucleus we need another strong Big and this miner team should be ok. However if he can't get it done next year n make NCAA he definitely should be out or leave. So I think we ha e to give it another year with what's coming back.

Reactions: miner1liner
Damm, If we could have finished a few more inside seemed like we missed a bunch at the end. On to the CBI or BCI or whatever. I want to see these guys play some more.

Reactions: miner1liner
Well that's a decision which will force me to consider why I should support UTEP basketball. It's clear they don't really appreciate or care to reward that support.

Have to agree with life. This team was pretty exciting to watch at the end since they can certainly light it up on the scoreboard, but the deficiencies are many.

One issue that never seemed to improve was the perimeter defense, which is puzzling since we have 4 speedy guards on the floor at any given time.

In any case, we've still yet to see a successful season from ctf, and it doesn't look particularly promising next year. I doubt Wilmms ability to recover and contribute by next season, and I don't see a lot of potential for our young bigs to make a giant leap in their game by next season.

We need someone new. This program has been stagnant for a very long time now. At this point, we're about as relevant in the ncaab world as Marshall, which is to say we're not relevant at all. If we continue down this path, it will only get worse. It's become increasingly obvious that the administration believes an NC won 50 years ago still holds meaning to today's recruits.

I believe a different number holds more meaning... "10". That's the number of years since we won a game in a meaningful tournament (ncaa/nit). It's been 24 years since we won an ncaa game. Both Of those numbers are simply not indicative of a successful "basketball" school...

Have to agree with life. This team was pretty exciting to watch at the end since they can certainly light it up on the scoreboard, but the deficiencies are many.

One issue that never seemed to improve was the perimeter defense, which is puzzling since we have 4 speedy guards on the floor at any given time.

In any case, we've still yet to see a successful season from ctf, and it doesn't look particularly promising next year. I doubt Wilmms ability to recover and contribute by next season, and I don't see a lot of potential for our young bigs to make a giant leap in their game by next season.

We need someone new. This program has been stagnant for a very long time now. At this point, we're about as relevant in the ncaab world as Marshall, which is to say we're not relevant at all. If we continue down this path, it will only get worse. It's become increasingly obvious that the administration believes an NC won 50 years ago still holds meaning to today's recruits.

I believe a different number holds more meaning... "10". That's the number of years since we won a game in a meaningful tournament (ncaa/nit). It's been 24 years since we won an ncaa game. Both Of those numbers are simply not indicative of a successful "basketball" school...
Disagree Completely about next year! Only piece we're missing is a a Dominant Big and I think Floyd will address that need. Moving Winn to the 4 having a dominate Big and artist, Moore and Harris at the guard positions is pretty strong if u ask me!

Disagree Completely about next year! Only piece we're missing is a a Dominant Big and I think Floyd will address that need. Moving Winn to the 4 having a dominate Big and artist, Moore and Harris at the guard positions is pretty strong if u ask me!

Guys, we get Swiggy next year. I'm telling ya, this guy is the next Keith Van Horn. It's like having a Touchet/D.A. type guard with a Morris/Moore type body and athleticism all in one. I am excited to see him next year! (Hamilton....who?)

True, but where is this "big" that will make our season? We've seen little promise from the current freshman, and Jones is a big question mark as well.

As far as I know, we've only received commitments from two guards. If we expect all the pieces to line up for next season, Floyd better find one hell of a big man who can contribute right away. Otherwise, DA and Lee Moore will be gone by the time he gets it together, and we'll have the same gripes about how we're "just missing that one piece of the puzzle!" next year and the year after....

True, but where is this "big" that will make our season? We've seen little promise from the current freshman, and Jones is a big question mark as well.

As far as I know, we've only received commitments from two guards. If we expect all the pieces to line up for next season, Floyd better find one hell of a big man who can contribute right away. Otherwise, DA and Lee Moore will be gone by the time he gets it together, and we'll have the same gripes about how we're "just missing that one piece of the puzzle!" next year and the year after....

Valid point. We need an immediate impact big man. Who we have now, are all questionable at best. Hopefully the salesman in Floyd can entice some big looking for a home, to come to UTEP.

Reactions: USAFminersfan
I think the coaching staff knows that need or at least hope they do. Willms is a 20 min a game player at best and is too thin. I honestly don't know much about Kelvin Jones and Buddah was non existent this year. 6-9 powerful inside player to go along with Winn and the guards returning and Swiggy!! That excites me! I'm kind sad,I really thought Utep cold make a run if they got past this game and they very well should a could a won last night. Sad the season is over it was rough,but they gave us some hope towards the end!

Reactions: mikesarabia

We have needed a dominant big for a long time. There aren't that many to go around, quite frankly. Let's see by how many we over sign and who doesn't come back.

Guys, we get Swiggy next year. I'm telling ya, this guy is the next Keith Van Horn. It's like having a Touchet/D.A. type guard with a Morris/Moore type body and athleticism all in one. I am excited to see him next year! (Hamilton....who?)

How about letting new players play a few games before we start anointing them as the chosen one? McSwiggan is the next Keith Van Horn?

Kelvin Jones is the most dominant big man we've signed since Feitl. We struggled in December because we were missing Buddha Jones, who is capable of Kevin Durant numbers. Paul Thomas is better than Vince Hunter. Artis is a quicker version of Hardaway. Lee Moore is a 6-4 more athletic version of Pony Goodwin. Trey Touchet is going to remind you of Jimmer Ferdette.

We didn't make it out of the quarters of the C-USA tournament. Just like every offseason we have tons of questions. We don't know who is coming or going. We have a nucleus coming back. That's where we are today. But let's not say we have a lottery pick on the bench just yet.

Floyd should be the king of 1-1. Every year in the CUSA tournament Floyd has won one game then lost the next game. With the exception of his first year when he used Barbee's players. He went 2-1 that year. After that 1-1. That doesn't seem like progress. Just saying.

Reactions: develman
How about letting new players play a few games before we start anointing them as the chosen one? McSwiggan is the next Keith Van Horn?

Kelvin Jones is the most dominant big man we've signed since Feitl. We struggled in December because we were missing Buddha Jones, who is capable of Kevin Durant numbers. Paul Thomas is better than Vince Hunter. Artis is a quicker version of Hardaway. Lee Moore is a 6-4 more athletic version of Pony Goodwin. Trey Touchet is going to remind you of Jimmer Ferdette.

We didn't make it out of the quarters of the C-USA tournament. Just like every offseason we have tons of questions. We don't know who is coming or going. We have a nucleus coming back. That's where we are today. But let's not say we have a lottery pick on the bench just yet.

Golly...what a buzz kill. So you're saying there's not really a Santa Clause?

Offensively I would agree but let's not forget that our nucleus for next season played zero defense this season. Plus there are no contributors coming off the bench. IMO we need to replace some current players with contributors in addition to signing a JUCO big man.

Offensively I would agree but let's not forget that our nucleus for next season played zero defense this season. Plus there are no contributors coming off the bench. IMO we need to replace some current players with contributors in addition to signing a JUCO big man.
I do agree we need to trim some fat....
Flaggert Bye
Jones I just don't know if he will be n e thing
Thomas has potential let's see what happens
The other Big Freshman forgot his name bye
Touchet will be ok
At least 2 of those need to be given other options collegiately

I do agree we need to trim some fat....
Flaggert Bye
Jones I just don't know if he will be n e thing
Thomas has potential let's see what happens
The other Big Freshman forgot his name bye
Touchet will be ok
At least 2 of those need to be given other options collegiately

Let's be honest, though. Flags isn't going anywhere...not of his own accord or by way of Floyd either. He's here for good. Regardless of fan opinion about him.

I have no idea about Romine. He may stick it out and gradually gain a few more minutes per game each season. Just not sure what he'll do. Limited options for him imo.

Jones is a wildcard. Can't see Floyd letting him go but BJ definitely seemed dissatisfied with his role. So much raw athleticism, but fundamentally weak. May think of himself as better than he actually is. Not sure what he'll do either.

Paul "Bruno Mars" Thomas has the most potential of the lot. That could be a good thing and it could be a bad thing. He is the one guy, maybe BJ too, who might be like "eff this, I could get court time somewhere else" because of the potential he does display. Maybe Floyd can talk him into staying and coach him up.

Coach Johnson's post game included rave reviews of Swiggy and Jones. He was genuinely excited about finally getting Swiggy on the floor...I could hear his eyes light up as he spoke.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
After reading 3 different threads containing several posts of your's, I'm still unclear as to what your stance is on Floyd and Stull. ;-)

Ok, I think you didn't read previous post I made several months ago and last year. What is my problem with Floyd ? This was his 5th year here and no NCAA appearance, no NIT victory. What more do you want to know ? What is my problem with Stull ? Loot at the crappy conference we're playing when we could have gone to the MWC. CUSA might get crappier than what it is already.

Ok, I think you didn't read previous post I made several months ago and last year. What is my problem with Floyd ? This was his 5th year here and no NCAA appearance, no NIT victory. What more do you want to know ? What is my problem with Stull ? Loot at the crappy conference we're playing when we could have gone to the MWC. CUSA might get crappier than what it is already.

I was joking Alvino. That's why I made the little winking emoticon with the semi colon, the hyphen and the parentheses. ;-)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT