ADVERTISEMENT

Trouble In New Mexico

“We know there are many supporters of every sport that we carry and … when I get a chance to meet these student-athletes, they’re remarkable students,” she said. “But then this is a campus that’s full of remarkable students in a lot of different places.”

Translation-you’re not that unique

Bet they’ll be making certain cuts to sports w/o affecting title 9 status and/or any other variables

I’m sure UAB football fans said the same (I.e. cuts). Bowling and rifle were also cut, FYIhttp://www.al.com/articles/14652204/uab_ends_football_program_rele.amp
The UAB football scenario a few years ago was a way, way different scenario literally wrapped in "fake news" by bama folks with bad intentions. A big Crimson Tide booster(s) was hell bent on shutting down Blazer football. Now you would think pipe dreaming and actual planning, logistics, campaigning and tactical planning are two different worlds in something like this, but he (or they) accomplished it. It was wrapped in budget constraints and fiscal accountability but was a big fat lie presented to the public. Kudos to UAB fans for fighting like hell.

New Mexico is a different story. They actually do have budget problems and it must be serious if they are threatening UNM athletics because UNM athletics gets priority. This should be interesting.

Reactions: HeWore62
The UAB football scenario a few years ago was a way, way different scenario literally wrapped in "fake news" by bama folks with bad intentions. A big Crimson Tide booster(s) was hell bent on shutting down Blazer football. Now you would think pipe dreaming and actual planning, logistics, campaigning and tactical planning are two different worlds in something like this, but he (or they) accomplished it. It was wrapped in budget constraints and fiscal accountability but was a big fat lie presented to the public. Kudos to UAB fans for fighting like hell.

New Mexico is a different story. They actually do have budget problems and it must be serious if they are threatening UNM athletics because UNM athletics gets priority. This should be interesting.

I used the example of those cuts to shovel’s quote of “No way their sports go away. Much ado about nothing”

A very general assumption (as sportsmcan and will be cut) that I decided to narrow down. See jdubb’s post

I remember the UAB story and followed it. As far as fake news, it does exist; look at the onion lol

With so many schools running their athletics programs at such massive defecits could this happen at other schools. And imagine if down the road the NCAA requires that players are compensated financially on top of it?

I used the example of those cuts to shovel’s quote of “No way their sports go away. Much ado about nothing”

A very general assumption (as sportsmcan and will be cut) that I decided to narrow down. See jdubb’s post

I remember the UAB story and followed it. As far as fake news, it does exist; look at the onion lol
No sweat. The Onion? Whatever.

With so many schools running their athletics programs at such massive defecits could this happen at other schools. And imagine if down the road the NCAA requires that players are compensated financially on top of it?

I can't see financial compensation ever happening because due to Title IX you would have to pay every single athlete like softball players and volleyball players the same amount as the mens basketball team

I agree. But it seems like the push to pay athletes has been gaining momentum over the last 10 years. It it were to ever pass that could kill college athletics all together since almost every program is running at such staggering levels of debt.

Reactions: axingfools1
I agree. But it seems like the push to pay athletes has been gaining momentum over the last 10 years. It it were to ever pass that could kill college athletics all together since almost every program is running at such staggering levels of debt.

Unless you are P5

Sad for UNM that they’ll have to drop soccer. One of their most successful sports team.

Losing those sports has nothing to do with UTEP getting into the MWC.

If they lost their football and basketball teams, then we can talk.
It was a still a 100% false statement. Since now it has been proven that some of their sports did go away. I’m surprised you didn’t jump on him for not being able to write a complete sentence.

Oh please. Nobody gives a shit about soccer and skiing. Only football and men’s hoops matter.
Your statement was still 100% false. UNM did lose sports.

Just admit that you were wrong and move on. Admitting you're wrong is not that hard to do.

Reactions: Cube Jack
I said "their sports", meaning all, not a select few, non-revenue earning sports. What are our chances of MWC membership now???

Reactions: El Paso 1
I asked a question “Could this be our ticket to the MW?”

I wasn’t referring to any specific sport since the article didn’t mention it.

So in your infinite wisdom and “competitive intelligence” you thought a flagship state school would be dropping men’s basketball and football? When other state run schools such as ULM and New Mexico St can run FBS programs?

Reactions: El Paso 1
UNM has the best facilities in this entire region, second to maybe Texas Tech when it comes to their revenue sports and even baseball, Don't think this will affect conference membership in my humble opinion.

Reactions: ShovelMan66
UNM has the best facilities in this entire region, second to maybe Texas Tech when it comes to their revenue sports and even baseball, Don't think this will affect conference membership in my humble opinion.
Their soccer team plays in CUSA so it will affect that.

F Tech, F UNM. While I am at it, F Notre Dame, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT