ADVERTISEMENT

Turning the Historic Chinese Laundromat into a Tourist Attraction

FeralFelidae

MI Miner Maniac
Sep 1, 2003
Since the historic Duranguito Chinese Laundromat is apparently more valuable to the community than a new, high-capacity arena, what can El Paso do to cash in on this value? Does anybody have any ideas about how we can attract tourists to the Chinese Laundromat? Maybe we can even adapt the Chinese Laundromat theme for the entire district, make it an interesting area for tourists to just walk through and take in the sites and attractions, akin to San Antonio's River Walk. What do you think? Any ideas?

tenor.gif

Can we turn it into a demolition themed park?

Since the historic Duranguito Chinese Laundromat is apparently more valuable to the community than a new, high-capacity arena, what can El Paso do to cash in on this value? Does anybody have any ideas about how we can attract tourists to the Chinese Laundromat? Maybe we can even adapt the Chinese Laundromat theme for the entire district, make it an interesting area for tourists to just walk through and take in the sites and attractions, akin to San Antonio's River Walk. What do you think? Any ideas?
Get our tidy whites done in old El Paso.
I’m sure it will bring in big money for the city. I can see the hotels filling up now!

Hey Max! If you want this done based on some crap you've now come up with, why don't YOU pay for it out of YOUR bank account, get it done within 6 months, and pay the city back for the wasted time?

The way that I see it, this "ditch" should actually be working against Max. They did a complete underground survey looking for potential archaeological items and the best thing that they could find was an old ditch that runs 30 feet below ground? Had they found anything better, then Max would be bringing that better thing to attention, but he isn't and the fact that he is only talking about a ditch means that there was nothing of true historic value found for him to use.

There is a thing called "highest and best use" in real estate. Analysis happens every day in the industry. BUT, throw in any person or entity with lots of cash interested in any piece of dirt and that becomes "he or she that has the most gold determines the use".

El Paso is a naysayer community. The Sun City Music Festival got canceled because of negativity in this town. I'm a hard rock/metal guy but that festival was a good thing for El Paso. El Pasoans need to know that things cost money and while you hate something it doesnt mean it can't make money and attract talent for others. New York, Chicago, Houston, etc expand because they attract a large swath of Americans and many from overseas. "Keeping it local" is not a bad concept but nothing in nature operates on a self cycling system. It doesn't exist.

It’s funny how Max Grossman and his stooges believe they are somehow protecting this neighborhood by moving all the people out (which the city did) and turning it into some tourist attraction. It’s all just another form of gentrification, or whatever you want to call it. You’re still removing the people and repurposing the are. What freaking hypocracy. But because these quote-unquote “historical buildings” are not being demolished this is seen as right and just.

It’s funny how Max Grossman and his stooges believe they are somehow protecting this neighborhood by moving all the people out (which the city did) and turning it into some tourist attraction. It’s all just another form of gentrification, or whatever you want to call it. You’re still removing the people and repurposing the are. What freaking hypocracy. But because these quote-unquote “historical buildings” are not being demolished this is seen as right and just.

Max Grossman lives in a $300,000 house on the Westside. If this area is so great and worth saving, why doesn’t he go live down there?

Was he even born here? Is he even of Mexican decent? He’s just another history nerd, who thinks they know what’s good for people he really knows nothing about.

Imagine how douchey his classes at UTEP are? Yikes!

My great grandparents owned a large lot on 13th Street in Segundo Barrio. They had their house on it along with a store they ran. Eventually their children ( my grandfather and his three sisters ) all married and had families of their own They built their houses and lived on the same lot. In the 60s the tteaty was signed giving 13th Street to Mexico. my extended family all moved out. They bought better homes in other neighborhoods and never looked back. In fact though most of them are dead they still have family living in those homes. no one cared about any historical designation. Neither did my family. They moved on.

The promotion behind SCMF also canceled a music festival in Ft Worth earlier this year. I don’t think this was an El Paso issue.
I'm just going by the melt down on the radio. I was literally changing the channels and heard him blast the younger generation for being naysayers and the neighborhood that said the music was too loud, etc. What I did agree with him on is these things take time, energy and lots of money. Getting top notch talent is not easy. Heck, trying to get local favorite band to play at a Kermesse is not easy.

Reactions: MistaBinks
Over 90% of the Duranguito area is vacant. Nobody ever cared about the area until the arena idea came about. There was never any effort to preserve the area and the area has been neglected for many years. So far the courts have ruled in favor of the city. I hope when all is said and done the arena gets built and the city gets reimbursed for all legal fees by the losing entities.

Reading the last paragraph....

I wasn't aware that the arena can host sporting events now. I must have completely missed this. Great news if it ever gets built.

Reading the last paragraph....

I wasn't aware that the arena can host sporting events now. I must have completely missed this. Great news if it ever gets built.

I think sports was ruled a few months ago.

It's going to be built. It's just a matter of time now. I'm just glad this BS didn't happen with Southwest University Park.

Reactions: HoneyBoy95
tenor.gif

Max Grossman’s coming up with any and every excuse. “Chinese Laundromat, Mescalero Land..... Ancient T-Rex Breeding Ground......
Grossman new tactic is the Franklin Mountains since they were an ancient sea bed. There is an ancient cave supposedly down where Murchison and Brown street are (don't shoot the messenger, that's what an old geologist student told me many moons ago).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT