ADVERTISEMENT

UAB vs UTEP

We fouled 3 times on 3 pt shots to end the game and in overtime. We got 2 cross court passes stolen in overtime. We missed 3 game winning free throws in a row and couldn't get a game winning shot off (again). We let Jemison tip in a shot because he wasn't blocked out. All college basketball 101.

Out of curiosity, how many of y’all thought they would win the game tonight? I sure didn’t and I thought they would lose by double digits. Yes, free throw shooting and turnovers killed us. But what about rebounds? How many of you have been complaining for years about Utep’s rebounding? And now you’re saying we don’t have a scorer. Well, I saw three guys score double digits before regulation with Hardy in the 20s and we had a better fg% and 3pt %. Just a month ago, many of y’all were calling Solomon, Givance and Hardy duds, and look at the results tonight. That was just in one month. And how many of y’all say regular season doesn’t matter, it’s all about the conference tournament. Well, we just took it toe to toe with the conference front runner and with as much as this team has improved in a month, I’m very excited to see what they can do in another. Call it rose colored glasses but seriously, some y’all are killing my wine buzz!

Out of curiosity, how many of y’all thought they would win the game tonight? I sure didn’t and I thought they would lose by double digits. Yes, free throw shooting and turnovers killed us. But what about rebounds? How many of you have been complaining for years about Utep’s rebounding? And now you’re saying we don’t have a scorer. Well, I saw three guys score double digits before regulation with Hardy in the 20s and we had a better fg% and 3pt %. Just a month ago, many of y’all were calling Solomon, Givance and Hardy duds, and look at the results tonight. That was just in one month. And how many of y’all say regular season doesn’t matter, it’s all about the conference tournament. Well, we just took it toe to toe with the conference front runner and with as much as this team has improved in a month, I’m very excited to see what they can do in another. Call it rose colored glasses but seriously, some y’all are killing my wine buzz!
Sure fair enough, but throwing such a huge game in the trash is another story. Why even put yourself in position to win if you don't want too?

No moral victory here imo, however it’s amazing how we’ve been “in” these last two games (both Q1 opponents) with sub-60% free throw shooting and 22+ turnovers in each.

Rebounding has been stellar.
Kudos to the rebounding, I think a lot of it comes down to our defense causing a lot more missed shots, and unfortunately, our own awful shooting creates more rebound opportunities. But they're there to take advantage of said opportunities.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Only at UTEP are moral victories and the covering of point spreads celebrated.

Is this team learning how to win for later in the year or learning how to lose? There is a fine line so hopefully Golding can tilt this team in the right direction.

I thought we would beat Kent State and get blasted by UAB. We lost both games in tight finishes (despite the turnovers and poor FT shooting). Clean up the bad mistakes and we win. Limit the turnovers and get a reasonable FT shooting % and we win the conference.

Last edited:
I don't think any of us did but when you choke a game away twice it rubs a lot of us the wrong way.

I’m not gonna get too down on our guys. Definitely boneheaded mistakes were made but there was a lot of heart and hustle that kept us in the game til the very end. I think the team will be a more improved team and a threat come tournament time. But they definitely shouldnt be allowed to go home before hitting 100 free throws in practice every practice. I’m gonna keep my head up tho myself.

And one more thing… look what we did to Walker! He scored 25 points to hardy’s 22 with 9 more attempts than Hardy. Walker was 2-15 from three. All I kept hearing from the UAB announcers was that he was the nations leading scorer. Cause I was enjoying my vino, I didn’t catch who was defending him? Can anyone help me out with that?

And one more thing… look what we did to Walker! He scored 25 points to hardy’s 22 with 9 more attempts than Hardy. Walker was 2-15 from three. All I kept hearing from the UAB announcers was that he was the nations leading scorer. Cause I was enjoying my vino, I didn’t catch who was defending him? Can anyone help me out with that?
Well I know it was Givance who fouled him on a 3 and when he hit another 3 in OT. If he defended him all game then great job.

Great games from these guys, however:
Solomon 16/11<fouling on a desperation 3
Givance 17/7/10<missing 3 straight free throws
Kalu 10 rebounds/2 blocks<forgot to block out

Reactions: MINER.JAY
givance was guarding him and did a great job in regulation. He should have had the game winning shot. Never been so disheartened with a loss and as a Utep fan that is saying something.

I hear ya but I kinda feel like it's the NCAA refs taking care of what the NCAA thinks is best. Yes, they have enough staffing to make conference-level and maybe even team-leven decisions. Like UTEP v UAB. Was there any TV/advertiser type influence? Well, was there?

I honestly see reason to be cautiously optimistic about this team, but gotta give everybody the time to digest the shit sandwich served at the end of the game. Plain and simple, the Miners gave that game away. Twice. Regardless of whether anyone thought we had a chance or not. And people are a little pissed about it.

Miner fans have been fed buffets full of moral victories. Only the real deal would have satisfied the hunger for some tonight.

Last edited:
Don't believe in moral victories, but I believe I will not stop cheering for these guys, because they gave a Supreme effort against an experienced conference favorite who was favored by 16 and we lost in double OT. There is reason to believe they will get better with each outing.
How do you think UAB fans are reacting to their teams performance tonight?

I honestly see reason to be cautiously optimistic about this team, but gotta give everybody the time to digest the shit sandwich served at the end of the game. Plain and simple, the Miners gave that game away. Twice. Regardless of whether anyone thought we had a chance or not. And people are a little pissed about it.

Miner fans have been fed buffets full of moral victories. Only the real deal would have satisfied the hunger for some tonight.
Moral victories are why we keep getting left behind. Among other reasons.

Kalu has 42 rebounds and 4 blocks in the last 5 games. He had 14 rebounds and 2 blocks in the 1st 8 games.
He is rebounding the ball wayyy better. Way better. Not to turn a positive into a negative, but I wish he would go straight up more on the offensive end. He tends to put the ball on the floor giving the trees around him time to plant and stuff him all too often.

When he had his dunk towards the end of regulation, the announcer said “that’s good for Kalu’s 2nd and 3rd points on the night”. After having had more than a handful of prime opportunities.

Last edited:
He is rebounding the ball wayyy better. Way better. Not to turn a positive into a negative, but I wish he would go straight up more on the offensive end. He tends to put the ball on the floor giving the trees around him time to plant and stuff him all too often.

When he had his dunk towards the end of regulation, the announcer said “that’s good for Kalu’s 2nd and 3rd points on the night”. After more than a handful of prime opportunities.
He has shown pretty good improvement over the past few weeks. I dont remember him blocking any shots last year either. He has an NBA body. He will control to hone his burst. If he ever learns any offense/foot work then he could be a pretty good one.

You can say what you all want — I think this team if I can fix it’s free throw /3pt shooting shooting can be a tough team —-

Coach Golding had better be fixing what's wrong and reinforcing what's right about the team. The guys played great in some areas and terrible in others. If Golding can get complete games out of them, we'll do well. If not, it's going to be a long season. How many of you are still anxious to see it happen? There's still some excitement about this team. If it can now be translated into wins then all is great. Go Miners. And a tip of the hat to the Lady Miners for a big win.

Coach Golding had better be fixing what's wrong and reinforcing what's right about the team. The guys played great in some areas and terrible in others. If Golding can get complete games out of them, we'll do well. If not, it's going to be a long season. How many of you are still anxious to see it happen? There's still some excitement about this team. If it can now be translated into wins then all is great. Go Miners. And a tip of the hat to the Lady Miners for a big win.
Well put pay4!

I think this is how we are going to play most of our games this year. We're going to play great defense which will keep us in most games, we're going shoot poorly, shoot FTs poorly, and grind it out. If we had 2-3 shooters on the team it would be a little different but at this point we are a "grind it out team."

Although I am still am not happy about giving the game away yesterday, I love the hustle in this team. There is real buy-in on the defensive end which is something we haven't had in a while.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT