ADVERTISEMENT

UNT is not good and UTEP is worse.

If UTEP can put up 13 against Oklahoma, the Miners should have more than doubled that against UNT. Shows how poorly we played against them.

uTEP
Did you see the whole game? I don't know why everyone is acting oblivious to the fact that UTEP easily left 24 points on the board against N. Texas. I feel like some fans don't really pay attention to the game and are too quick to just say UTEP sucks like they always have. It's blatantly obvious UTEP matched N. Texas offensively by yardage, but failed on opportunities. No score at the 1, missed FG, dropped TD pass, TD pass called back for a hold. Sometimes the game of football is more than the final score people!

Did you see the whole game? I don't know why everyone is acting oblivious to the fact that UTEP easily left 24 points on the board against N. Texas. I feel like some fans don't really pay attention to the game and are too quick to just say UTEP sucks like they always have. It's blatantly obvious UTEP matched N. Texas offensively by yardage, but failed on opportunities. No score at the 1, missed FG, dropped TD pass, TD pass called back for a hold. Sometimes the game of football is more than the final score people!
Seems like you guys are saying the same thing to me. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Reactions: Rocketsr
That is a function of the suckitude. It’s not like that’s a new phenomenon for the Miners. That’s been one of the main criticisms of Dimel’s offense is how we’ve moved the ball between the 20s decently then whether thru penalties, turnovers or dumb decisions, we end drives without putting points on the board. That has been a near constant.

Last edited:
That is a function of the suckitude. It’s not like that’s a new phenomenon for the Miners. That’s been one of the main criticisms of Dimel’s offense is how we’ve moved the ball between the 20s decently then whether thru penalties, turnovers or dumb decisions, we end drives without putting points on the board. That has been a near constant.
I agree 100% and idk of they'll actually fix that issue this year. What I'm saying is people are simply going by score implying N. Texas is that much better than UTEP. Utep after 2 games had one were they started hot, but couldn't finish and another where they were out of the game in the 1st 15 minutes then settled down. I hope we put it together before too long and the get right game should be this Saturday!

The team with the most yards doesn't win the game. What I observed is that we should have put up over double the points against UNT.

Reactions: nattybry
The team with the most yards doesn't win the game. What I observed is that we should have put up over double the points against UNT.
We couldn't punch the ball into the endzone because UNT was playing bend but don't break. We couldn't run the ball on them because their line pushed us around. In the first half, they answered every score with one of their own. Then they took the lead. They gifted us the ball in their own redzone at the end of the half, and UTEP could not punch it in.

The only way UTEP could score a touchdown against them was to beat them with a deep ball.

In the 2nd half, UNT dropped 8 into coverage and UTEP had no answer. And UNT kept scoring and UTEP couldn't stop them. UNT ran effectively and passed effectively and UTEP was just pushed around and could not stop them.

UNT made stops and UTEP did not. Don't tell me about how UTEP should have won by so many points. UTEP didn't score those points because UNT stopped them, and then UTEP couldn't stop them.

We couldn't punch the ball into the endzone because UNT was playing bend but don't break. We couldn't run the ball on them because their line pushed us around. In the first half, they answered every score with one of their own. Then they took the lead. They gifted us the ball in their own redzone at the end of the half, and UTEP could not punch it in.
Maybe my issue with the bolded statement is semantics. If you were to tell me that UNT's defense bent but didn't break in the game I would definitely agree with you. But the way it's worded seems to say that bending but not breaking was their defensive strategy. I'm no football coach, so maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see a defensive coordinator telling his guys to play lackadaisical until a team gets into the red zone, and then toughen up. No team wants their opponent to get inside the 20. Besides, as others have pointed out, failing to score in the red zone has been a consistent issue with this team. The problem is not that opposing defenses are just giving us the middle 60 yards of the field and then stiffening up once we get into the red zone. The problem is that our offense has the ability to move the ball against most of the defenses we face, but our play calling sucks, and we make stupid mistakes, once we get near the goal line.

Another problem we have is wasting timeouts. In both games we burned an unnecessary timeout early in the game. When we recovered the fumble against UNT late in the first half we were forced to take shots into the end zone, when an extra time out would have opened up the field. Against OU we had a nice last minute drive going to try to set up a field goal. An extra timeout would have opened up the field again, but we needed something on the sidelines in order to stop the clock. Nothing was open and Hardison ended up taking a sack.

In my opinion our lack of scoring could be fixed if Dimel would relinquish play calling duty and hire a good offensive coordinator.

If Dimel is as good as we wish he was, he would learn to delegate tasks. IE an offensive coordinator/play caller. Koogler had the same problem delegating his ST coordinator to recruit a field goal kicker.

Reactions: utep-piggy
Maybe my issue with the bolded statement is semantics. If you were to tell me that UNT's defense bent but didn't break in the game I would definitely agree with you. But the way it's worded seems to say that bending but not breaking was their defensive strategy. I'm no football coach, so maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see a defensive coordinator telling his guys to play lackadaisical until a team gets into the red zone, and then toughen up. No team wants their opponent to get inside the 20. Besides, as others have pointed out, failing to score in the red zone has been a consistent issue with this team. The problem is not that opposing defenses are just giving us the middle 60 yards of the field and then stiffening up once we get into the red zone. The problem is that our offense has the ability to move the ball against most of the defenses we face, but our play calling sucks, and we make stupid mistakes, once we get near the goal line.

Another problem we have is wasting timeouts. In both games we burned an unnecessary timeout early in the game. When we recovered the fumble against UNT late in the first half we were forced to take shots into the end zone, when an extra time out would have opened up the field. Against OU we had a nice last minute drive going to try to set up a field goal. An extra timeout would have opened up the field again, but we needed something on the sidelines in order to stop the clock. Nothing was open and Hardison ended up taking a sack.

In my opinion our lack of scoring could be fixed if Dimel would relinquish play calling duty and hire a good offensive coordinator.
Bend but don't break is about making your opponent earn everything. Make them execute all the way down the field, and if they make a mistake, their drive stalls. And yes, tighten up at the endzone, but nowhere did I say that bend but don't break entails letting your opponent inside the 20.

Reactions: minerfan_14
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT