ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Athletics -

MinerMambo

Starter
Sep 19, 2001
I've been a long time UTEP athletics supporter and I support the teams regardless of their win-loss records. But, I feel now the program is in a vortex whose whirl may not end anytime soon and that the program may be in need of some tough love in the form of a strike by fans. Over the years, the following has become painfully clear:

1) the UTEP administration simply does not have passion for UTEP athletics. Stull has been phoning it in for the last decade and his biggest sin has been overseeing the degradation in conference affiliation. He deserves credit for upgrades in facilities and he also gets the blame for the condition of the Sun Bowl;

2) Stull is not the only one deserving blame. Natalicio and Adauto don't care about standards, winning, or sports. Schools that aim for excellence aim for excellence is all aspects of their institution - to include athletics. Very few schools that punch above their weight have administrative ambivalence about athletics; and

3) the fans are to blame. We accept mediocrity. Go to most other D1 schools and the fans would have revolted by now if they were subjected to the UTEP fan experience...yet, UTEP usually is at the top, or near the top, of conference attendance for big sports. Financial and human support of medicrity has to end.

It should never get to the point of fan revolt, but we're here. Our record is the following: no bowl victory in 50 yrs...no ncaa tournament men's bball victory in 25 yrs...significant degradation in conference affiliation over the last 15 yrs.

UTEP needs to reboot. Either do things right (to include food, seats at the Sun Bowl, restrooms, the roof at the DHC, etc.) or get out of sports.

UTEP has no motivation to do things different if the current ways are supported by the fans.

Fans must strike.

You make a lot of great points but a strike is the worst thing you can do. I have been a season ticket holder for 10 years for football and basketball and it has been very tough for me to write and sign the check every year given the below average job Floyd has done and the state of the football team. But the athletic department needs money to pay coaches, recruit good players etc... so if a change is made, they have money for better coaches and bigger recruiting budgets and the end result is a better product on the field or court. Striking just gives the athletic department less money to.work with, so when a change is made, you just get cheap crap because they don't have money to hire good coaches.

My suggestion is to attend games but make fire Stull signs. That would be the best way to gain attention for changes. That way you still show support to the players but you put heat on Stull. Thousands of anti Stull signs at every home game is sure to gain some attention from Natalicio and the athletic department.

I've been a long time UTEP athletics supporter and I support the teams regardless of their win-loss records. But, I feel now the program is in a vortex whose whirl may not end anytime soon and that the program may be in need of some tough love in the form of a strike by fans. Over the years, the following has become painfully clear:

1) the UTEP administration simply does not have passion for UTEP athletics. Stull has been phoning it in for the last decade and his biggest sin has been overseeing the degradation in conference affiliation. He deserves credit for upgrades in facilities and he also gets the blame for the condition of the Sun Bowl;

2) Stull is not the only one deserving blame. Natalicio and Adauto don't care about standards, winning, or sports. Schools that aim for excellence aim for excellence is all aspects of their institution - to include athletics. Very few schools that punch above their weight have administrative ambivalence about athletics; and

3) the fans are to blame. We accept mediocrity. Go to most other D1 schools and the fans would have revolted by now if they were subjected to the UTEP fan experience...yet, UTEP usually is at the top, or near the top, of conference attendance for big sports. Financial and human support of medicrity has to end.

It should never get to the point of fan revolt, but we're here. Our record is the following: no bowl victory in 50 yrs...no ncaa tournament men's bball victory in 25 yrs...significant degradation in conference affiliation over the last 15 yrs.

UTEP needs to reboot. Either do things right (to include food, seats at the Sun Bowl, restrooms, the roof at the DHC, etc.) or get out of sports.

UTEP has no motivation to do things different if the current ways are supported by the fans.

Fans must strike.

I'm to blame by supporting the programs by buying season tickets?

Reactions: Cube Jack

Fans must strike.

Perhaps the most honest, accurate, and insightful post I've seen on this board regarding UTEP athletics and administration. Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with all or part of Mambo's post, it is incontestable that UTEP athletics is struggling big time, on the field, on the court, and financially. The only issue IMO is accountability and that ALWAYS starts at the top of the house...

At 2-6, is there any real possibility UTEP tops 20K for any remaining home games?

It seems like people just don't care anymore. I mean, look at the boards. This place is dead. So is Kyotes.

Who are the big boosters for UTEP. Is there even an organized booster association? They should be leading the charge but you don't hear anything. Can't rely in the Times to criticize the department.

College sports is big business now that relies on corporate level organization. Corporate ties are key in this day and age. Look at the rise of Oregon. All based on their support from Phil Knight. My brother's wife works for UH in their corporate-relations department. Does UTEP even have one?

Reactions: UTEP05
I 100% agree thats why i was home last night and am home today. If they don't care then I dont either. Very disappointed in Natalicio she obviously doesn't give a crap about UTEP athletics. Oh if they're doing well she's front and center but when the SunBowl looks like it's hosting the little bowl no word from her or her soldiers. Dr. consider athletics at least a little or hand the baton to somebody who will. I really am disgusted with you and your lack of leadership.

I 100% agree thats why i was home last night and am home today. If they don't care then I dont either. Very disappointed in Natalicio she obviously doesn't give a crap about UTEP athletics. Oh if they're doing well she's front and center but when the SunBowl looks like it's hosting the little bowl no word from her or her soldiers. Dr. consider athletics at least a little or hand the baton to somebody who will. I really am disgusted with you and your lack of leadership.

Do you think sitting at home pouting is going to change a damn thing?

Maybe it's time to get organized on the board and maybe send some letters or organized some sort of protest at one of the games. Does anyone know any of the boosters?

I know one -- talked to him yesterday. He's not happy with the results, but he's far from wanting to burn it down.

In all fairness, if enough people see it the same, and lose interest and attendance suffers, then perhaps a change will HAVE to be made. There are no easy answers, but changes have to be made.

Do you know of any other plausible way?

In all fairness, if enough people see it the same, and lose interest and attendance suffers, then perhaps a change will HAVE to be made. There are no easy answers, but changes have to be made.

Do you know of any other plausible way?

I don't know. I guess I don't really see myself as an activist/change agent. I'm just a fan who tries to support the programs with my entertainment dollars. I have other things in my life that I choose to put most of my energy into.

I don't know. I guess I don't really see myself as an activist/change agent. I'm just a fan who tries to support the programs with my entertainment dollars. I have other things in my life that I choose to put most of my energy into.

I get that...which is why I get the poster who decided to stay home instead of putting any energy into supporting something that's stagnant.

I'm ready for a change...an overhaul in the athletic department. Really not sure what to do myself but I know money talks and when there are only 15K asses in the Sun Bowl and 5K in the Don, with regularity, change will be imminent. Perhaps the poster above, and any who follow suit, speed that process up. Just a thought.

I support the program with about $5k a year. No big money donor, but not bad. I also go to a lot of the games, and take people, especially young people, to introduce them to the sports and UTEP. I don't think I'm part of the problem.

I love the Miners just need some help from the top. It would be one thing if the they were trying but it's easy to see the effory from Stull/Natalacio is very poor. What's Stull's favorite saying " if we win people will show up" but it's not that simple coach.

I support the program with about $5k a year. No big money donor, but not bad. I also go to a lot of the games, and take people, especially young people, to introduce them to the sports and UTEP. I don't think I'm part of the problem.

I'm not suggesting that you are. Not by any means. To each his own. But nor would somebody who chooses to stop supporting the program financially and energetically as a form of protest be the problem either.

I'm not suggesting that you are. Not by any means. To each his own. But nor would somebody who chooses to stop supporting the program financially and energetically as a form of protest.

I just wonder how much financial support these protesters provide anyway. I'm mean, if you don't spend much now, no one will notice you're gone.

I should also say I'm not a UTEP alumnus. I just feel like it's the right thing to do to support our local sports programs. If you count the Chihuahuas, I'm up to $10k/yr.

I just wonder how much financial support these protesters provide anyway. I'm mean, if you don't spend much now, no one will notice you're gone.

I should also say I'm not a UTEP alumnus. I just feel like it's the right thing to do to support our local sports programs. If you count the Chihuahuas, I'm up to $10k/yr.

You're a good and loyal fan.

I would add that it's the right thing to do "if" it's what you want to do. It's admirable but by no means the only option that is "right".

And lastly, if there are no asses in the seats, it will be noticed from a financial aspect, not to mention from a low "vibe" aspect as well.

You're a good and loyal fan.

I would add that it's the right thing to do "if" it's what you want to do. It's admirable but by no means the only option that is "right".

And lastly, if there are no asses in the seats, it will be noticed from a financial aspect, not to mention from a low "vibe" aspect as well.

I get your point. Some will argue I'm complacent, and part of the problem. I would counter that I at least support the programs with my pocketbook and presence, while many local alumni don't.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Being that Dr. Natalicio has many things beyond football to take care of, it really isn't fair to say she should be replaced due to the football program. If she was such a horrible president she wouldn't still be at the university 30 years later.

I am a UTEP alum was a basketball season ticket holder until this year and gave up my tickets because of home non confetence schedule. I'm not in the habit of throwing my money away. With that said I still bleed orange but enough is enough.

I am a UTEP alum was a basketball season ticket holder until this year and gave up my tickets because of home non confetence schedule. I'm not in the habit of throwing my money away. With that said I still bleed orange but enough is enough.

That's your right, and I certainly get your frustration.

You must bring a lot of people to spend $5k.

First off, Natalicio"s priority is a quality college education. However, UTEP plays football in the highest level of college athletics and she has been very involved. It's a low point right now but Floyd and Kugler's days are numbered. Kugler's approach to the game, while noble and fresh approach to revisionist historical football, is not competitive for FBS football because one, defenses are now faster than offenses; second, his approach is miopic and third, limits talented players. Floyd is just much more black and white. He gambled on high risk players the last three years and now look where he is? He's going to ride the Wilms injury all year.

However, football is at David Lee era numbers and Stull is patient, not stupid and Floyd is hinting at retirement.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin

Do you think showing up, game after game, year after year, supporting an inferior product competing against inferior competition is going to change a damn thing?

Do you think showing up, game after game, year after year, supporting an inferior product competing against inferior competition is going to change a damn thing?

This is one of many things wrong this program. How the hell does anything change for the better not going to games? It does nothing but further run the program into the ground. Theres alot less pressure to turn things around when no one is around to pressure or demand change. All that happens is complacency and continual budget cuts. Not going to games doesnt do a damn thing for the program.

This year sucks. Im mad as hell about it. However, im not going to stop supporting the program. That what makes fandom fun supporting teams through the bad times makes the good times that much more sweeter.

Lots of good points made in this thread. I understand why people think boycotting games might put enough pressure on the admin to make a change but I have to agree with Minerforlife. That would have minimal impact since UTEP does not make a ton of money even with good attendance. Usually if all donors put together a consolidated effort to effect change, putting major public pressure on the admin folks, it gets some results. The big donors have to be a part of that but all fans need to express their displeasure to Dr. Natalicio.

University athletics are characterized as the "front porch" or most visible representation of the univ. If that porch looks like it's part of a trashy trailer park, no one will be attracted to it. Not fans nor athletes nor donors. Dr. Natalicio is an extremely intelligent woman and she is aware of this but it needs to be impressed upon her how dissatisfied UTEP fans are.

I get both sides of this argument. I'm on the "not going to spend money" side.
I get the argument that our program needs money to improve. I get that. It totally makes sense. But on the other hand, why give our hard earned money to a program that doesn't give a crap about the average fan and how they feel? To me, and many others, it appears that Stull and Natalicio only care about their friends with the big bucks. If Joe Schmo donates 10 mil and he likes Kugler, then Kugler is our coach....period. At what point do they say, sorry Joe, we need to make a change. We don't....and that's where the frustration comes in.
Honestly, the only way Stull will notice if the stand become empty thus effecting his bottom line. Anything hovering in the 25k per football game and he is ok with it. Maybe last Saturdays game will force his hand....I just dont know.

I got way past frustrated when Price was here. He was/is such a nice guy it became ok to lose. Season after season we KNEW we would fall apart and have a losing season. Nothing was done until he was allowed to retire....Somewhere in there, I stopped buying football tickets and Stull has done nothing to get me back. (this after 20+ years as a season ticket holder)
I still have my high end basketball seats. (I actually upgraded to row 5!) The home schedule sucks, the conference sucks, Floyd sucks, but I hold out hope things will change and I will have an awesome view!

I see both sides.....maybe we can buy a billboard near the Riviera saying FIRE STULL NOW! Would they notice? :D

I agree - I've given up on UTEP athletics - I simply just don't care anymore - total indifference to the product they put on the court and on the field

I think a lot of people feel the same way...as is evidenced by the steady decline in attendance over the last few years for both fb and bb.

Forum posters seem to be more passionate and more die hard, so your sentiment probably rings hollow here, but I don't think you are alone by any means.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT