ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

I was able to catch a couple of his games online. TBH, I wasn't impressed. He is limited athletically which is going to be an issue against D1 players. He does offer more of a post presence offensively, which is non existent on the current roster. Defensively, it's going to be a challenge if Golding plans to have him hedge on the perimeter.
Right. Golding refuses to play Jones (a guy that is actually athletic enough to hedge AND block shots) extended minutes, but wants another big slow guy.

Last edited:
Right. Golding refuses to play Jones (a guy that is actually athletic enough to hedge AND block shots) extended minutes, but want another big slow guy.
I wouldn't mind seeing Jones picking up dos Anjos' minutes, who has been awful. I just don't think Golding trusts him on the court for extended minutes, and has mentioned his lack of maturity. Then again he does have another freshman who turns the ball over alot playing more, along with a couple of a walkons.

I wouldn't mind seeing Jones picking up dos Anjos' minutes, who has been awful. I just don't think Golding trusts him on the court for extended minutes, and has mentioned his lack of maturity. Then again he does have another freshman who turns the ball over alot playing more, along with a couple of a walkons.
Well I guess he trusts Dos Anjos despite the numbers and the eye test saying no. Per 40 minutes Dos Anjos shoots 7 3-pointers a game and makes 20%. Meanwhile Jones is our most efficient scorer and best free throw shooter and way more athletic around the rim than Dos Anjos.

So Jones is a freshman. Maybe he's immature. Thats what the older guys are there for. Play the kid. Golding is just being stubborn.

I wish Bronzing would do like Walden and at least try to land bigger fish. It's no surprise UTEP men's basketball is as bad as it is.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
I wish Bronzing would do like Walden and at least try to land bigger fish. It's no surprise UTEP men's basketball is as bad as it is.
Believe it or not he does. This entire thread is filled with the offers his staff have made. Look up some of those players and you’ll see the amount of interest they have from better known programs. They’re not on campus. Offering and getting them to commit are two completely different things. And then getting them to show up to campus, nombre forget it….

Last edited:
A lot of you guys saying Golding can’t recruit what are you looking at exactly …. Jones Terrell and Horton have looked to be great additions this year … I can see jones breaking out next year and we have already seen what Terrell can do — those are not bad players
Agreed. Guards and forwards are hot commodities in cusa. But a quick 7 footer would be nice.

Golding wasn't afraid to go after the best players that fit his scheme. No surprise most of them got better offers. The more we win the better the pickings. The bigger the NIL the better the pickings.
That's why attendance matters. Advertisers will be enticed by a thriving Don.

A lot of you guys saying Golding can’t recruit what are you looking at exactly …. Jones Terrell and Horton have looked to be great additions this year … I can see jones breaking out next year and we have already seen what Terrell can do — those are not bad players
Yeah he's good at getting some decent under recruited freshman that will be good at another school in 2-3 years,

Yeah he's good at getting some decent under recruited freshman that will be good at another school in 2-3 years,
Unfortunately this is the reality at all schools at this level. If you look at other CUSA schools, very few have freshmen playing significant minutes, if at all. Like at JCs, the goal in recruiting has to be to win now, more than ever. Golding has obviously not been able to bring in enough talent to win now even in a watered down league. Again, I think failing to bring in a low post scoring option really hurt the team this year.

Will they stay?

Unfortunately this is the reality at all schools at this level. If you look at other CUSA schools, very few have freshmen playing significant minutes, if at all. Like at JCs, the goal in recruiting has to be to win now, more than ever. Golding has obviously not been able to bring in enough talent to win now even in a watered down league. Again, I think failing to bring in a low post scoring option really hurt the team this year.
Exactly. We need somebody that can recruit better transfers to go with our decent freshman.

We needed a center, a shooter and a PG for this year. Kalu has been admirable in the abscence of Z (who is sitting on the bench at Texas) or another quality D1 starting center. Camper has shown some flashes. Powell has not been what we expected as a NIL senior transfer.

I thought Solomon would have a big year at the 4, but meh. We are too inconsistent and bad at shooting to win the CUSA tournament.

Now the 3 freshman and Mbengue will have to step up big next year aside Camper, Cole, Hebb, Frazier, Hamilton and Kalu. Hopefully KJ Thomas and/or Moreno are gems. I dont see Golding reeling in much else. Golding has one more spot to bring in a star transfer at guard.

Exactly. We need somebody that can recruit better transfers to go with our decent freshman.

We needed a center, a shooter and a PG for this year. Kalu has been admirable in the abscence of Z (who is sitting on the bench at Texas) or another quality D1 starting center. Camper has shown some flashes. Powell has not been what we expected as a NIL senior transfer.

I thought Solomon would have a big year at the 4, but meh. We are too inconsistent and bad at shooting to win the CUSA tournament.

Now the 3 freshman and Mbengue will have to step up big next year aside Camper, Cole, Hebb, Frazier, Hamilton and Kalu. Hopefully KJ Thomas and/or Moreno are gems. I dont see Golding reeling in much else. Golding has one more spot to bring in a star transfer at guard.
I've heard good things on Thomas, but what I have seen of Moreno isn't great. That said, with the addition of Moreno and Mbengue, I don't see Hamilton back but who knows. I would think Golding would add 2/3 from the portal.

Jokes to old.

Aging Season 9 GIF by Friends

I will agree that Golding has found a couple of gems. However, it is the job of Golding and his staff to recruit a roster of players that can win games. We currently have a losing record, 10-11, against Div 1 teams. Our record last year against all teams was 14-18. His only winning season as head was with a team primarily staffed with Terry's recruits. After three recruiting classes we are one of the worst shooting teams in the entire country, we lack a credible inside scoring threat, and haven't had a point guard that consistently plays well. These are failures in recruiting.

As an assistant coach Doc Sadler helped recruit Omar Thomas. As a head coach he brought in Stefon Jackson. These are two huge gets. Yet he left Barbee with a team whose key players included the likes of Victor Ramahlo, Jeremy Sampson, and a host of other players that weren't capable of contributing at this level. So even though Doc was able to bring a couple of top notch players, he was overall a poor recruiter.

Even though Golding has brought in a couple of promising freshmen, his inability to build a team indicates that he is a poor recruiter.

Last edited:
I will agree that Golding has found a couple of gems. However, it is the job of Golding and his staff to recruit a roster of players that can win games. We currently have a losing record, 10-11, against Div 1 teams. Our record last year against all teams was 14-18. His only winning season as head was with a team primarily staffed with Terry's recruits. After three recruiting classes we are one of the worst shooting teams in the entire country, we lack a credible inside scoring threat, and haven't had a point guard that consistently plays well. These are failures in recruiting.

As an assistant coach Doc Sadler helped recruit Omar Thomas. As a head coach he brought in Stefon Jackson. These are two huge gets. Yet he left Barbee with a team whose key players included the likes of Victor Ramahlo, Jeremy Sampson, and a host of other players that weren't capable of contributing at this level. So even though Doc was able to bring a couple of top notch players, he was overall a poor recruiter.

Even though Golding has brought in a couple of promising freshmen, his inability to build a team indicates that he is a poor recruiter.
While I don't disagree with you regarding the recruiting failures, I think there's a dynamic that those that came before Golding didn't have to deal with...that is, NIL money. I don't think there's enough financial backing put into place (especially the past two years) to attract upper echelon players like those in the past. I may be completely off base, but I do believe it is a factor and if not corrected, we will be the bottom feeders of any conference no matter who the coach is and how much they bring to the table as far as X's and O's and recruiting.

While I don't disagree with you regarding the recruiting failures, I think there's a dynamic that those that came before Golding didn't have to deal with...that is, NIL money. I don't think there's enough financial backing put into place (especially the past two years) to attract upper echelon players like those in the past. I may be completely off base, but I do believe it is a factor and if not corrected, we will be the bottom feeders of any conference no matter who the coach is and how much they bring to the table as far as X's and O's and recruiting.
Walden is recruiting fine without a known NIL. I'm past the excuse of Golding just not having the NIL money to play with.

When it comes to recruiting, you either got it or you don’t. Walden has it and Golding doesn’t. You don’t need “upper echelon” players to win CUSA. CUSA is awful now in basketball.
No argument from me on that point. I was responding to MinerManiac's comment that referred (and compared) to past recruits that more than likely wouldn't be attracted to UTEP today based on the money-driven culture we live in today....it's an apples and oranges comparison, imo.

No argument from me on that point. I was responding to MinerManiac's comment that referred (and compared) to past recruits that more than likely wouldn't be attracted to UTEP today based on the money-driven culture we live in today....it's an apples and oranges comparison, imo.
The basic point I was trying to make is that two good recruits don't make someone a good recruiter. Sadler brought in two of the very best players to wear a Miner uniform, but overall his recruiting was poor. Golding bringing in two promising freshman doesn't make him a good recruiter, not when you consider how in three years he hasn't been able to recruit the shooters, play makers, or post players he needs to win.

Last edited:
I really thought they would be good this year. I mean could still catch fire. But I thought Frazier was gonna take a big step. Maybe if he returns next season he will ?? It will be his and Terrells team.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I really thought they would be good this year. I mean could still catch fire. But I thought Frazier was gonna take a big step. Maybe if he returns next season he will ?? It will be his and Terrells team.
This plus Jones too. Also Kalu and Camper need to take a jump and we MAY have a decent starting 5. Babacar needs to be a difference maker and we need a couple more guards that can contribute as I think Golding may choose to play a 3 guard lineup.

1-2 impact transfers could change things.

Even then I'm not sure we will have the dudes to win CUSA. Too much to ask in year 4?

Reactions: Lil_Train
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT