ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

An observation and a question here on these higher end transfers and recruits we go after. We could be helped a good deal if we only got one higher end player onboard. The question is, do these young studs want to be the one really good player on an average team, or do they prefer to be one of several good players on a team? Right now, we have one or two average players on a mediocre team. They could become good players on an average team if we can keep them. The last time I really got excited for UTEP basketball was Barbee's last year, when we had a couple of great players, (Randy Culpepper and Derrick Carecter come to mind), on a good team. Oh, for the good old days. How about it?

An observation and a question here on these higher end transfers and recruits we go after. We could be helped a good deal if we only got one higher end player onboard. The question is, do these young studs want to be the one really good player on an average team, or do they prefer to be one of several good players on a team? Right now, we have one or two average players on a mediocre team. They could become good players on an average team if we can keep them. The last time I really got excited for UTEP basketball was Barbee's last year, when we had a couple of great players, (Randy Culpepper and Derrick Carecter come to mind), on a good team. Oh, for the good old days. How about it?
Golding and staff definitely need to step up and get 2 good transfers (in addition to keeping the core players/major contributors). 2 guys that can give each other confidence and take the team to the next level while making the other guys better. 2 guys that can provide offense in the half court AND on the run. The coaches and the program are depending on it. Neither can afford to go backwards or it's another reboot at a bad time for most mid majors. Getting the 1st guy will be crucial to help lure another.

We need a PG and a PF. Preferably 2 seniors since this is a make or break season for Golding. We also need a SF to back up or step in for Frazier

PG transfer, Terrell
SG Camper, Horton, Hebb
SF Frazier
PF transfer, Jones
C Kalu, Hamilton, Mbengue

Golding and staff definitely need to step up and get 2 good transfers (in addition to keeping the core players/major contributors). 2 guys that can give each other confidence and take the team to the next level while making the other guys better. 2 guys that can provide offense in the half court AND on the run. The coaches and the program are depending on it. Neither can afford to go backwards or it's another reboot at a bad time for most mid majors. Getting the 1st guy will be crucial to help lure another.

We need a PG and a PF. Preferably 2 seniors since this is a make or break season for Golding. We also need a SF to back up or step in for Frazier

PG transfer, Terrell
SG Camper, Horton, Hebb
SF Frazier
PF transfer, Jones
C Kalu, Hamilton, Mbengue
I agree, although I'm not sure Golding will bring in another PG with Terrell and Thomas. For sure, Golding needs to replace the offensive output provided by Hardy and Powell. Replacing Hardy will be more difficult obviously. At this point, Terrell has a long way to go to being an offensive threat, so he needs to be paired with a solid scorer. I would expect Camper to be more consistent on both ends. To me, his potential is the highest of anyone on the team. Hopefully, he can step up next year.

I agree, although I'm not sure Golding will bring in another PG with Terrell and Thomas. For sure, Golding needs to replace the offensive output provided by Hardy and Powell. Replacing Hardy will be more difficult obviously. At this point, Terrell has a long way to go to being an offensive threat, so he needs to be paired with a solid scorer. I would expect Camper to be more consistent on both ends. To me, his potential is the highest of anyone on the team. Hopefully, he can step up next year.
You are probably right, but I dont think Terrell is quite ready to take over at PG yet. We need a proven leader and scorer at the point. Most likely Golding will be playing 3 guards anyway (with or without Frazier) so we need another lead guard.

We have the peripheral players to have a good team. Just missing a lead PG and difference making big. If Golding wants to bet it all on Terrell then I think it's a big risk.

You are probably right, but I dont think Terrell is quite ready to take over at PG yet. We need a proven leader and scorer at the point. Most likely Golding will be playing 3 guards anyway (with or without Frazier) so we need another lead guard.

We have the peripheral players to have a good team. Just missing a lead PG and difference making big. If Golding wants to bet it all on Terrell then I think it's a big risk.
Yes. Ideally, you want all your starters to be true two way players. It makes it very difficult at the D1 level to overcome when even one guy playing major minutes is deficient at one end or the other.

If you look at a guy like Kalu, he really is outstanding in Golding's defense. However, he provides very little offensively. Hamilton is the opposite. A lineup with Terrell, Frazier, and Kalu would be good defensively, but very limited on offense. You have to add guys that can score (and hopefully defend) to that group.

I figured a guy like Hebb would provide some outside shooting, but be limited defensively. This is usually acceptable for a role player. As it turned out, he was pretty bad on both ends. Golding can't afford that type of miss this time around.

Yes. Ideally, you want all your starters to be true two way players. It makes it very difficult at the D1 level to overcome when even one guy playing major minutes is deficient at one end or the other.

If you look at a guy like Kalu, he really is outstanding in Golding's defense. However, he provides very little offensively. Hamilton is the opposite. A lineup with Terrell, Frazier, and Kalu would be good defensively, but very limited on offense. You have to add guys that can score (and hopefully defend) to that group.

I figured a guy like Hebb would provide some outside shooting, but be limited defensively. This is usually acceptable for a role player. As it turned out, he was pretty bad on both ends. Golding can't afford that type of miss this time around.
Exactly. I agree

I also think having 2 lead scoring options on the floor with our established guys will give us some leeway at center. I think the only guys we have right now that could potentially be scorers are Camper and maybe Jones. Hamilton too, but off the bench because of defense.

Exactly. I agree

I also think having 2 lead scoring options on the floor with our established guys will give us some leeway at center. I think the only guys we have right now that could potentially be scorers are Camper and maybe Jones. Hamilton too, but off the bench because of defense.
Hopefully Horton continues to develop his game as well to become more than just a spot up shooter, and improve his defense. There's definitely shooting potential there, and he would have played earlier if he had shown up in shape. By the end of the season, he looked like he had finally gotten his physique close to where it needs to be.

Hopefully Horton continues to develop his game as well to become more than just a spot up shooter, and improve his defense. There's definitely shooting potential there, and he would have played earlier if he had shown up in shape. By the end of the season, he looked like he had finally gotten his physique close to where it needs to be.
Yes he could if Golding plays him. He hit two early 3's against WKU and then never came back in..

Im pretty high on DT. I believe he’ll be a much improved scorer next year. He showed towards the end of the year that he has the mechanics for a smooth stroke. Hopefully he spends time in the gym developing it along with the muscle memory to go along with it. I think he’ll double his scoring output from about 5.5 to 10-11 pts/gm. I think he’ll double his rebounding and be at about 3.5-4 per game. He was at about 41.5 fg percentage. My bet is that will be about 45% next year. I think the one year under his belt will pay off huge next year. Also i think he’ll put on about 8-10 pounds of muscle by next season and will be able to withstand a lot of the pounding in the paint and go up strong where he’ll get the majority of his points. I hope anyway.

I think a lot of people are still thinking that all the players are returning. It's early. I suspect there will be multiple departures still.
Agree, I just hope it's not Terrell, Frazier or Camper. I'd also like to keep one of if not both of our Bigs and Horton. However we for sure we don't wanna lose the 1st 3 I mentioned most importantly!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT