ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

We had two, just to be fair. But I get what you’re saying.
Agree. Sjolund could definitely shoot as well. I am also hoping Agnew can find the form he showed at North Alabama where he shot around 36% from three. That said, having good FT shooters, especially at the guard spots is also critical. If I am an opposing coach at the end of a close game and I see Kennedy, Bieniemy, and Verhoeven on the floor, I would be chomping at the bit to foul these guys. I think this played into the issue of having the ball in Boum's hands too often late in games last year.

I wonder if we would have had or will have better shooters if our offense didn't revolve around jacking up 3s every possession.
Maybe. Golding has said that his goal for offense is to make layups and hit 3s. Let's hope we can hit them within our offense and when they count. Agree also that our guards need to do better at the line and the right guy needs to have the ball at the end of games.

Last edited:
Agree. Sjolund could definitely shoot as well. I am also hoping Agnew can find the form he showed at North Alabama where he shot around 36% from three. That said, having good FT shooters, especially at the guard spots is also critical. If I am an opposing coach at the end of a close game and I see Kennedy, Bieniemy, and Verhoeven on the floor, I would be chomping at the bit to foul these guys. I think this played into the issue of having the ball in Boum's hands too often late in games last year.
Yeah, exactly. Sjolund ended the year at like 47% from deep. Boum ended the year between 38-39% if I remember correctly. Nobody else was even close to that. Would be nice if Agnew, Kennedy and Bieniemy all increased their fg percentages, whether from 2 or 3.

Adding another pure shooter would be nice.

Bieniemy is similar to Lathon...very streaky shooter and unreliable for consistency. I think our best bet outside of Boum will be Agnew and adding a 3rd shooter.

Kennedy just needs to stay aggressive at the rim and morph into a dominant defender/Swiss army knife kind of player. A guy that can get rebounds too. An occasional open 3 is good, but that should not be his main focus.

Bieniemy is similar to Lathon...very streaky shooter and unreliable for consistency. I think our best bet outside of Boum will be Agnew and adding a 3rd shooter.

Kennedy just needs to stay aggressive at the rim and morph into a dominant defender/Swiss army knife kind of player. A guy that can get rebounds too. An occasional open 3 is good, but that should not be his main focus.
Kennedy has the ability to go to the basket hard. I think that’s where he should focus his efforts offensively. Defensively, he can make it a hard night for a lot of guys. Can’t wait to see what he can do on that end with CJG coaching him.

Yep. I think Agnew's shooting percentages would improve just by taking better shots. I thought he forced his game on offense, and jacked up a bunch of bad shots last year. The issue with playing Bieniemy and Kennedy together is that you have two inconsistent scorers. Right now, Bieniemy is the only option at the point, so you have to keep him in the lineup. I like Kennedy in the ways you all mentioned, but I'd like him more paired with a scoring point guard. Bieniemy flashed in a few games offensively, just not enough. I do think these core guys will be better; I'm just not sure they will be improved enough to make a jump in CUSA.

According to my count there are eight scholarship players on the roster right now. With five more available I would think Coach Joe has to be concentrating on reliable shooters. What he has now is not reliable as a team. Can he find anyone is the question.

Reactions: Prospero915
Well after 4 weeks Trey Wade is no longer 100% committed to Nevada! Crazy times.

There are still a few big names out there. Hopefully Golding can possibly land 1-2 of them and BW can make his final decision soon.

Last edited:
Ok it was my mistake we had two good shooters I completely forgot about sjolund .... Kennedy was something like 24 percent and a lot were wide open.... I’m sorry unless he is shooting like a 1000 shots a day no way!! We need three point shooters to be 38-39 percent or higher

Reactions: Lil_Train
I just heard two interesting tid bits. The kid out of Las Cruces who plays at Ranger with Gillespie and averaged 18ppg is close to signing and Utep is top 2. Also Williams is close to a decision and I was told he's 50/50. 50% Utep and 50% UT, Texas or Washington. Fingers crossed. If Golding gets him to stay and scores the local area kid, who can shoot. My excitement for next year will be High!!!

I just heard two interesting tid bits. The kid out of Las Cruces who plays at Ranger with Gillespie and averaged 18ppg is close to signing and Utep is top 2. Also Williams is close to a decision and I was told he's 50/50. 50% Utep and 50% UT, Texas or Washington. Fingers crossed. If Golding gets him to stay and scores the local area kid, who can shoot. My excitement for next year will be High!!!
50% UTEP, 25% Texas, 25% Washington?

50% UTEP, 25% Texas, 25% Washington?
Do you mean "played" at Ranger with Gillespie? Gillespie has been at Tarleton this year. You don't have a name ? This all sounds great.

Reactions: kickballpro
wouldn’t be shocked to see him at Washington, wouldn’t be shocked to see him at Texas. I would be shocked if he stays a Miner!!! :) if he goes to Washington easy nickname BDub....

Joe Golding has a chance to talk to Bryson every day. Joe Golding tells Bryson, "a great rooster can crow in any hen house." Joe Golding will make Bryson a 1st round pick.

Starting Five and bench if he stays and Saterfield comes.

G- Bieniemy
G- Boum
G- Kennedy
F- Williams
C- Verhouven

Bench
G- Agnew
G- Saterfield
G- White/ or transfer
F- Onyema
C- Maring

Maybe Bryson stays, I just don’t see WHY he would. If he goes to UT, he’s playing in the tournament next year - 100%. If he stays, maybe it’s possible if Golding is a great coach, but even then; have to win the CUSA tournament.

I don’t see how he can stay if he desires the NCAA tournament and playing on national tv.

Well Bryson going to Texas yes he will play in ncaa tourney but no lock he is a starter

G- Bieniemy
G- Boum
G- Kennedy
F- Williams
C- Verhouven

Bench
G- Agnew
G- Saterfield
G- White/ or transfer
F- Onyema
C- Maring
I don’t know why people love Kennedy so much ... I think he would be a good piece coming off the bench.... he can’t shoot and is very one dimensional but his defense isn’t bad

G- Bieniemy
G- Boum
G- Kennedy
F- Williams
C- Verhouven

Bench
G- Agnew
G- Saterfield
G- White/ or transfer
F- Onyema
C- Maring
I'm sure Golding had told everybody that it's an open competition. Guys are gonna have to earn their spots back.

G- Bieniemy
G- Boum
G- Kennedy
F- Williams
C- Verhouven

Bench
G- Agnew
G- Saterfield
G- White/ or transfer
F- Onyema
C- Maring
Hard to disagree with your lineup, but if Saterfield signs, not sure how he wouldn’t be a starter on such an offensively challenged team. 47% from deep!?! I’m thinking Kennedy may be the first man off the bench in that scenario.

I don’t know why people love Kennedy so much ... I think he would be a good piece coming off the bench.... he can’t shoot and is very one dimensional but his defense isn’t bad
I think Golding going after Saterfield, and other guys who can shoot\score from the 2/3 spot is a good indication of his assessment of Kennedy's play.

Hard to disagree with your lineup, but if Saterfield signs, not sure how he wouldn’t be a starter on such an offensively challenged team. 47% from deep!?! I’m thinking Kennedy may be the first man off the bench in that scenario.
I agree, assuming Saterfield can defend at a decent level. We don't need 47% shooters who can't defend 😀

It's better than 20% shooters who 'can't' defend, but yes I agree.
Kennedy is a good defender and can drive the ball. His ability to defend 3 positions on he floor is key to this team as much as shooting from distance. Definitely needs to work on his shot though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT