ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

"...it can be good experience for a young team"

Please explain how. I'm sincere in wanting to understand how a crap tournament that nobody cares about can be "good experience for a young team." If you're in the CBI it means you weren't a very good team that season. Good experience would be playing against good teams early in the season, not playing other crappy teams after the season has ended.
Um, pretty simple... you play other teams that most likely had winning records in similar conferences... the kind of teams that we should be playing in non-conference... then maybe you're more likely to beat those kind of teams (or avoid marginal losses to them) the following season.

Again, to be very clear, CBI is not the goal. I'd be happier if it didn't exist, along with the CIT. But if a young team can get some experience in elimination games, play some decent teams (some on the road) and gain some confidence, I don't think it's the worst thing in the world

Accomplishment? Only if you’re willing to pay do you get in. They’ve taken plenty of teams with losing records.

Without looking it up, who won this year’s tournament and who was the biggest “name” in the field?
Off the top of my head...there was no CBI.

I looked it up and a .500 Pepperdine won.
UTSA and Marshall from our conference declined invitations. It is a pretty crappy tourney now compared to 2008. Covid REALLY brought it down much lower. Not sure it will last much longer with all the financial strain most universities are facing.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I seriously don't understand some people's fascination with the CBI. That's like wanting to play post-season football in the Prada Museum Bowl at Marfa, Texas.

Nobody gives a shit about the CBI or any other alphabet soup post-season basketball tournament not abbreviated "NCAA" or "NIT."

I clearly stated why. I never said I had a facination with the CBI. Barbee's team used the extra play, practice and motivation to be better the following year and go to the NCAA. It's a springboard that's all. Post Season play if u can advance to the finals or win is a plus for young men and helps their confidence and hunger. Maybe as a fan you don't see it that way, but playing team sports and being competitive it is a positive for 18-21 year olds.

Bonke! I like the name. Love the game. Very athletic for a center. Good basketball IQ. Love the dropstep half hook. Can finish with either hand. Gives me a bit of an idea of what kind of team CJG is arming if he likes traditional low post players. Hard to believe he's not getting looks from at least some P5 teams.

For me he harkens back to a time when some of those great African players were first developing. Hakim the Dream, Motumbo, and does anyone remember Francis Ezenwa.
Watched his video on Bonke and I agree. Like Fanatico said he is big and imposing. I can't find his weight anywhere, but I would guess at least 230lbs. He is very nimble, runs the floor well and finishes well. He is definitely improving his skill and athleticism. I think he could play more of the 4 spot alongside Onyema (who I see more as a rim running/protecting 5). BTW Onyema is now 6'9" 220lbs and will probably hit Eze size within the next 18 months.

Last edited:
It's gonna be hard for Golding to get guards to come in this year, but saving a few scholarships for next year could go a long way in getting some guards early.
Totally agree. Get the essentials for this upcoming year and save a few for a full cycle of recruiting...unless the transfer portal is good to us.

Reactions: axingfools1
Watched his video on Bonke and I agree. Like Fanatico said he is big and imposing. I can't find his weight anywhere, but I would guess at least 230lbs. He is very nimble, runs the floor well and finishes well. He is definitely improving his skill and athleticism. I think he could play more of the 4 spot alongside Onyema (who I see more as a rim running/protecting 5). BTW Onyema is now 6'9" 220lbs and will probably hit Eze size within the next 18 months.
Also like what jdubb alluded to about him finishing with either hand. This just suggest a level of coordination/athleticism that not all bigs possess.

Hey TXRdKiller if you don't care about the cbi why do you talk about it so much?

I didn't bring it up. I replied to nattybry who brought it up. And since Hot For Keitha said it's good experience I asked in a good and well intentioned manner for an explanation of how it does that.

Follow the thread before you call someone out falsely, Mr. Corona.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
It's gonna be hard for Golding to get guards to come in this year, but saving a few scholarships for next year could go a long way in getting some guards early.

I say fill everyone of them. With the new Transfer rules on sitting out and the way the Transfer Portal is anyway, you're going to have available scholarships. The days of "We have 2 Seniors so we have only 2 scholarships available" are long gone. Every season we will be filling 5-6 spots minimum. And If we have anyone good, they will be poached by P5 schools.

With the Free Transfer rule, the Mid Major Programs are the feeder schools to Power Programs. College athletics is now Minor League Baseball.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I'm hoping for Satterfield. He's a really good shooter and I think would fit in and grow well with our team.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I didn't bring it up. I replied to nattybry who brought it up. And since Hot For Keitha said it's good experience I asked in a good and well intentioned manner for an explanation of how it does that.

Follow the thread before you call someone out falsely, Mr. Corona.
I've followed the thread and the board. In the past many of us including myself have already explained why. Yet you keep asking. We get it. Utep is too good for the cbi or any of the lower tournaments. But for a team that hasn’t won a NCAAT game since 92 I believe any post season wins are welcomed. It's a different story if by year 3-4 we're still talking CBI.

I say fill everyone of them. With the new Transfer rules on sitting out and the way the Transfer Portal is anyway, you're going to have available scholarships. The days of "We have 2 Seniors so we have only 2 scholarships available" are long gone. Every season we will be filling 5-6 spots minimum. And If we have anyone good, they will be poached by P5 schools.

With the Free Transfer rule, the Mid Major Programs are the feeder schools to Power Programs. College athletics is now Minor League Baseball.
Ok, but Golding will want to at least stagger his players a bit. All of our now 7 scholarship players have 2-3 years left and we have no freshman. It would be hard to recruit freshman with a full roster and based on assuming players will leave. I dont think Golding would do that anyway.

Also the new transfer rule will allow each undergraduate player a SINGLE transfer without waiting a year (excluding this year because of COVID). Agree its gonna suck the next few years, but once it takes root I think it will be good going both ways.

I love the Golding pick and think he'll get us dancing in 3 years or under. Just want to say I think Jans would've brought in quality players quicker. He seems to have a nack in finding quality transfers year in and year out.

Maxwell is coming from ACU. Probably a CJG recruit so Golding knows what he's getting. https://acusports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/b-j--maxwell/6043

Hmm, the seems to be more than 1 BJ Maxwell. Looks like there might be some confusion going on.
Same guy. ACU to Detroit to St. Edwards's.

Reactions: axingfools1

This would not have happened on a Don Haskins team. It would have been buried in a deep hole and never seen the light of day.

The whole story was never released, apparently. I wonder if there is some gossip floating around out there somewhere.

This would not have happened on a Don Haskins team. It would have been buried in a deep hole and never seen the light of day.

The whole story was never released, apparently. I wonder if there is some gossip floating around out there somewhere.
You don’t even know. ACU has a “no sex policy”. Imagine being kicked off your team because you had pre-marital sex.

College people having Sex!?!? Wow!! Shameful, Downright Shameful. The nerve of those guys having Sex, just cause beautiful 18-21 year old women are throwing themselves at them!!! I say let's get that kid to Utep and tell him he can have all the sex he wants lol

College people having Sex!?!? Wow!! Shameful, Downright Shameful. The nerve of those guys having Sex, just cause beautiful 18-21 year old women are throwing themselves at them!!! I say let's get that kid to Utep and tell him he can have all the sex he wants lol
I know you know some religions are very strict on that matter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT